|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(b) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(c) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(d) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(b) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
3. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "The French Connection."
(b) The "endless mudslide."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) "Panama paranoia."
4. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
(a) Limited support or approval.
(b) No concern for or against in Panama.
(c) Great excitement.
(d) Uncertainty in the U.S.
5. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Statue of Liberty.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The London Bridge.
(d) The Washington Monument.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Adventure by Trigonometry" is the subtitle of Chapter 12, detailing how the U.S. moves from what to what?
2. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
3. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
5. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)