|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
(a) Roosevelt having breakfast at a hotel.
(b) Roosevelt ashore exploring the waterfront.
(c) Rosevelt in the jungle on a hunting expedition.
(d) Roosevelt's ship gone from port.
2. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Stay out of the hot sun.
(b) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(c) Eat no fruit.
(d) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
3. Lieutenant Colonel William Crawford Gorgas, despite opposition from bureaucrats, maintains the biggest challenge is what?
(a) Getting rid of what is dug from the canal.
(b) Accepting a lock vice a sea-level plan.
(c) The massive amount of paperwork required by Washington.
(d) Conquering yellow fever and malaria.
4. Panama Patchwork is a publication by James Stanley Gilbert containing what?
(a) A magazine arising in competition with George W. Goethals' Canal Record.
(b) A daily newspaper designed for a black audience.
(c) Poems about disease, alcoholism, death, futility.
(d) A Sunday newspaper with letters, poetry, stories, other contributions.
5. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
Short Answer Questions
1. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
2. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
3. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
4. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
5. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)