|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
2. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
(a) A demand for outgoing trains that cannot be kept up with.
(b) An exodus of service personnel back to their homelands.
(c) A demand for outgoing boats that cannot be kept up with.
(d) An exodus of Panamanians to Nicaragua.
3. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $80 million.
(c) $60 million.
(d) $40 million.
4. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(b) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
(c) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(d) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
5. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(b) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(c) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
Short Answer Questions
1. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
3. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)