|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Panama Patchwork is a publication by James Stanley Gilbert containing what?
(a) A Sunday newspaper with letters, poetry, stories, other contributions.
(b) Poems about disease, alcoholism, death, futility.
(c) A daily newspaper designed for a black audience.
(d) A magazine arising in competition with George W. Goethals' Canal Record.
2. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Baron de Lypinay.
(b) Armand Rycus.
(c) Gaston Blanchet.
(d) A. G. Menocal.
3. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
(a) Ordained to restore the tarnished Colombian Honor.
(b) Comic schemer.
(c) Crusader for Scientific Truth.
(d) Salvager of "The Great Idea of Nicaragua."
4. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $20 million.
(b) $40 million.
(c) $80 million.
(d) $60 million.
5. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
2. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
3. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
4. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
5. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)