|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
2. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Height of rainy season.
(b) Height of dry season.
(c) Panama's Revolution Day.
(d) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(b) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
(c) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(d) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
4. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Thomas Roosevelt.
(c) John Stevens.
5. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
2. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
3. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
4. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
5. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)