|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
(a) Abandon both the sea-level plan for a lock proposal, and that a lottery is insufficient.
(b) Keep the sea-level plan and adopt the lottery proposal.
(c) Adopt the lottery proposal, but abandon the sea-level plan.
(d) Continue with the sea-level plan.
2. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
3. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
(b) Protest against the company is staged across France.
(c) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
(d) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
4. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Panama Canal Charter.
(c) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
5. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
(a) Grover Cleveland.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) William Howard Taft.
(d) William McKinley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
3. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
4. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
5. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)