|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(b) The Panama Railroad Company.
(c) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(d) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
2. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(b) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(c) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(d) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
3. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
(b) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(c) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(d) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
4. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
5. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(b) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(c) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
2. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
3. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
4. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)