|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Panama Investigative Committee.
(b) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
(c) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(d) Committee of Thirty-Three.
2. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(b) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(c) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(d) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(b) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(c) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(d) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
4. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) William N. Cromwell.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) Charles F. Magoon.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
5. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
(b) Protest against the company is staged across France.
(c) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
(d) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
2. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
3. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
4. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
5. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)