|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Pierre Tirard.
(b) Charles de Lesseps.
(c) H. B. Slaven.
(d) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
2. John F. Wallace has a job offer he cannot say "no" to, but William H. Taft feels betrayed as he tailored the new ICC to his wishes, and confronts him to dress him down and demand a resignation where?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Panama City.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) A restructuring of the company transpires.
(b) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(c) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(d) A liquidator is appointed.
4. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(d) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
5. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
(b) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
(c) First of several French master plans in Panama.
(d) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
2. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
4. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
5. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)