|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(b) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(c) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(d) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
3. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
5. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(b) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(c) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
2. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
3. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
4. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
5. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)