|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(b) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(c) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
2. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
(d) Over 1 million.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
4. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(c) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(b) By canoe.
(c) By ferry.
(d) Using planks.
Short Answer Questions
1. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
2. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
3. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
4. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)