|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 42,000 lives.
(b) Some 32,000 lives.
(c) Some 12,000.
(d) Some 22,000.
2. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The relief of the terrain.
(b) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The full impact of the Chagres River.
3. A movement begins in Panama in July 1903, as 25-26 gather to talk revolution, including which leaders?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(b) Jose Agustin Arango, Carlos Constantino Arosemena, and Herbert G. Prescott.
(c) William Cromwell, Phillippe Banau-Varilla, and Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(d) Phillippe Banau-Varilla, Jose Agustin Arango, and Henry G. Prescott.
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(c) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
5. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
(a) William Nelson Cromwell.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Phillippe Banau-Varilla.
(d) Tomas Herran.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
3. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
4. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
5. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)