|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) All in new company stock.
(d) All in cash.
2. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
(a) George W. Goethals.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) John Stevens.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
(a) Maintains it was not impulsive.
(b) He had to take quick action, or none at all.
(c) It was not impulsive, the situation called for quick action.
(d) Admits in hindsight it was impulsive.
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(b) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(c) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(d) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
5. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(b) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
(c) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(d) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
2. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
3. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
5. What is the main issue impeding fumigation in U.S. facilities?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)