|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(b) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(c) With childlike enthusiasm.
(d) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
2. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(c) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(d) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
3. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
(a) April 23, 1903.
(b) March 21, 1903.
(c) February 21, 1903.
(d) January 21, 1903.
4. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(a) Over 50%.
5. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
(a) Maintains it was not impulsive.
(b) He had to take quick action, or none at all.
(c) Admits in hindsight it was impulsive.
(d) It was not impulsive, the situation called for quick action.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
4. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
5. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)