|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Thomas Roosevelt.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(b) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(c) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(d) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
3. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
(a) Uncertainty in the U.S.
(b) Great excitement.
(c) Limited support or approval.
(d) No concern for or against in Panama.
4. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Jules Flachet.
(b) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(c) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
5. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Chagres River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
3. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
4. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
5. John Walker does not accept the mosquito theory and insists the solution is what?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)