|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
(a) John Stevens.
(b) Thomas Roosevelt.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $1 million.
(b) $4 million.
(c) $3 million.
(d) $2 million.
4. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
(b) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(c) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
(d) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
5. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
3. For an overall view of the Gatun dam site, Theodore Roosevelt races up the hillside and takes a look, and then the most famous moment of his trip takes place when Roosevelt does what?
4. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
5. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)