|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(b) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(c) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(d) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
2. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(b) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(c) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(d) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
4. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
(a) Colombia ignoring Panama's king.
(b) Colombia being greedy.
(c) Nicaragua sending forces into Panama.
(d) Colombia not dealing fairly with Chile.
5. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $3 million.
(b) $4 million.
(c) $2 million.
(d) $1 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
3. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
4. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
5. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)