|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) All in cash.
(d) All in new company stock.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Behind all U.S. care givers.
(b) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(c) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
(d) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
3. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Equally difficult to Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(d) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(c) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(d) States it requires only minor modifications.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(d) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
2. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
3. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
4. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
5. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)