|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
3. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
(a) Sends in the Marines to secure the railroad.
(b) Sends in the Army to secure the railroad.
(c) None, as he has no legislative approval.
(d) Dispatches a State Department negotiating team.
4. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) Railroad officials.
(b) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(c) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(d) French engineer officials.
5. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(b) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(c) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(d) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
4. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)