|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
2. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
(a) None, as he has no legislative approval.
(b) Sends in the Marines to secure the railroad.
(c) Sends in the Army to secure the railroad.
(d) Dispatches a State Department negotiating team.
3. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Hernando de Soto.
(b) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
4. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Lieutenant Reclus.
(b) Gaston Blanchet.
(c) Henri Bionnr.
(d) Abel Couvreux.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
2. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
3. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
4. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
5. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)