|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is hired as America's first chief engineer for the canal project, with the understanding he need not move to the isthmus?
(a) John Findley Wallace.
(b) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(c) John Stevens.
(d) George W. Goethals.
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) The "endless mudslide."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) "The French Connection."
3. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(b) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(c) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(d) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
4. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
5. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(c) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
2. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
3. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
4. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)