|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 31, 1885.
(b) March 29, 1885.
(c) March 30, 1885.
(d) April 1, 1885.
3. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Panama City.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(b) A liquidator is appointed.
(c) A restructuring of the company transpires.
(d) Company shares begin an upward shift.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(b) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(c) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(d) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
2. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
3. In the fall of 1902 as discussions of Canal Zone sovereignty reach a critical point, civil war erupts on the Isthmus and Theodore Roosevelt takes what action?
4. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
5. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)