|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
2. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
(a) He did not go back to Panama because they would not let him drive another steam shovel.
(b) It was not initiating the canal that was the problem, it was seeing it through.
(c) The canal would not have started if he followed normal legislative channels.
(d) The canal started because he followed normal legislative channels.
3. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(b) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(c) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(d) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
4. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(b) $100 per share, full market value.
(c) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(d) $300 per share, three times the market value.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
2. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
4. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)