|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(b) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(c) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(d) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
2. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
(a) Dark and suffocating.
(b) Horrifically dangerous.
(c) Full of disease and wild animals.
(d) Astonishingly beautiful.
3. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
(a) He is the most senior U.S. medical officer with experience in the jungle.
(b) He is the foremost U.S. authority on tropical disease.
(c) He survived yellow fever, making him immune to it thereafter.
(d) His mentor was General Walter Reed, a senior U.S. Army physician.
4. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(b) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(c) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(d) The Panama Railroad Company.
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(b) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
2. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
3. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
4. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
5. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)