|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the Hay-Herran Treaty signed?
(a) March 21, 1903.
(b) April 23, 1903.
(c) January 21, 1903.
(d) February 21, 1903.
2. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(b) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
3. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The Washington Monument.
(c) The London Bridge.
(d) The Statue of Liberty.
4. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Railway cars.
(c) Dump trucks.
(d) Horses and wagons.
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
3. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
4. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
5. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)