|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(b) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(c) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(d) The relief of the terrain.
2. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
(a) Maintains it was not impulsive.
(b) Admits in hindsight it was impulsive.
(c) He had to take quick action, or none at all.
(d) It was not impulsive, the situation called for quick action.
4. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Jaques Jonett.
(b) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(c) Alexander de Duponte.
(d) William Kimball.
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
3. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
4. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
5. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)