|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Gaston Blanchet.
(b) Lieutenant Reclus.
(c) Abel Couvreux.
(d) Henri Bionnr.
2. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(b) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(c) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(d) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
3. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla.
(b) Tomas Herran.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) William Nelson Cromwell.
4. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) Henri Marechal.
(b) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
(c) J. C. Rodrigues.
(d) Lyon Boyer.
5. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
(a) Gives up his building career.
(b) Continues his building career.
(c) Becomes a politician in Greenland.
(d) Takes his building career to the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
3. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
4. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
5. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)