|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 31, 1885.
(b) March 29, 1885.
(c) April 1, 1885.
(d) March 30, 1885.
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
(b) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
4. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(c) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
5. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
Short Answer Questions
1. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
4. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
5. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)