|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
(b) Equally difficult to Suez.
(c) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(d) Twice as difficult as Suez.
2. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $2 million.
(b) $4 million.
(c) $1 million.
(d) $3 million.
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) H. B. Slaven.
(b) Pierre Tirard.
(c) Charles de Lesseps.
(d) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
5. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(c) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(d) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
2. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
4. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
5. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)