|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
(a) Adopt the lottery proposal, but abandon the sea-level plan.
(b) Continue with the sea-level plan.
(c) Keep the sea-level plan and adopt the lottery proposal.
(d) Abandon both the sea-level plan for a lock proposal, and that a lottery is insufficient.
2. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
(b) J. C. Rodrigues.
(c) Henri Marechal.
(d) Lyon Boyer.
3. Who outmaneuvers the Panamanians into giving the U.S. greater rights in the Canal Zone than it wants?
(a) Phillippe Banau-Varilla.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Tomas Herran.
(d) William Nelson Cromwell.
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(b) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(c) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
(d) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
5. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(c) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(d) Cromwell is a good cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
2. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
4. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
5. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)