|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
3. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(b) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(c) On the floor in the basement.
(d) In coffins to await their end.
4. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(b) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(c) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(d) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
5. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
Short Answer Questions
1. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
2. The Hay-Banau-Varilla Treaty resembles Hay-Herran in wording, but expands the width of the Canal Zone to how many miles?
3. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
4. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
5. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)