|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(a) Governor of New York.
(c) Former president.
(d) Governor of North Dakota.
2. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $2 million.
(b) $4 million.
(c) $1 million.
(d) $3 million.
3. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
(a) A graduate student.
(b) A high school student.
(d) An undergraduate student.
4. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Baron de Lypinay.
(b) A. G. Menocal.
(c) Armand Rycus.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
5. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(c) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
3. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)