|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) J. C. Rodrigues.
(b) Henri Marechal.
(c) Lyon Boyer.
(d) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
2. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(c) Using planks.
(d) By canoe.
3. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Charles de Lesseps.
(b) Pierre Tirard.
(c) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
(d) H. B. Slaven.
4. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(c) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
5. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(b) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
Short Answer Questions
1. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
2. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
3. William Cromwell, on June 13, 1903, leaks to the New York World paper he had a talk with Theodore Roosevelt about recognizing a secessionist Republic of Panama should what continue?
4. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)