|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) States it requires only minor modifications.
(b) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(c) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(d) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
2. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York.
(c) Panama City.
(d) San Francisco.
3. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Obispo.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(b) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(c) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
(d) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
5. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Railway cars.
(b) Dump trucks.
(c) Horses and wagons.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
2. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
5. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)