|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
2. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(d) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(c) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(d) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
5. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Acadymie Franzaise.
(b) Instituons Franzaise.
(c) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
(d) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
2. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
3. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
5. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)