|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(c) Hernando de Soto.
(d) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
3. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(d) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
5. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) The "endless mudslide."
(b) "The French Connection."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) "Panama paranoia."
Short Answer Questions
1. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
3. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
4. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
5. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)