|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will inspect Panama personally.
(b) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
2. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
3. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
(a) 4/5 mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 1 mile.
4. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(b) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(c) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(d) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) Using planks.
(b) By canoe.
(c) By ferry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
2. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
3. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
4. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)