|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(c) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Jules Flachet.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(d) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
3. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "Accidents don't happen."
(b) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
(c) "I have not lost a case yet."
(d) "I don't have time to waste."
4. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
(a) They cannot reply until after the annual July meeting.
(b) They state they are gathering the file, meanwhile have him make an offer.
(c) They say they did not get Walker's query and will get back to him.
(d) Offended by Cromwell's blunt cable, they fire him.
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
2. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
3. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
4. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
5. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)