|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(b) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
2. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New York.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) San Francisco.
3. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
(a) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(b) William Howard Taft.
(c) William McKinley.
(d) Grover Cleveland.
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 11 years.
(b) No less than 9 years.
(c) Noless than 7 years.
(d) No less than 10 years.
5. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Protest against the company is staged across France.
(b) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
(c) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
(d) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
2. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
4. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
5. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)