|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Chagres fever.
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) States it requires only minor modifications.
(b) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(c) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
3. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
(b) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
(c) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
(d) Protest against the company is staged across France.
4. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Panama Investigative Committee.
(b) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(c) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
(d) Committee of Thirty-Three.
5. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Civil suit for damages.
(b) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
(c) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(d) Criminal trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
4. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
5. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)