|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "I don't have time to waste."
(b) "I have not lost a case yet."
(c) "Accidents don't happen."
(d) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
2. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(b) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
3. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(d) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
4. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Rutherford B. Hayes.
5. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(b) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(c) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
(d) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
2. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
3. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)