|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(d) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
2. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
(b) Stay out of the hot sun.
(c) Eat no fruit.
(d) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
3. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(b) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(c) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(d) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
4. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will inspect Panama personally.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
5. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 42,000 lives.
(b) Some 12,000.
(c) Some 32,000 lives.
(d) Some 22,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
2. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
3. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
4. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
5. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)