|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 42,000 lives.
(b) Some 12,000.
(c) Some 32,000 lives.
(d) Some 22,000.
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
4. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be no harder than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez.
5. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(b) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
(c) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(d) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
2. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
3. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
4. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)