|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
2. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
(b) Criminal trial.
(c) Civil suit for damages.
(d) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
3. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will inspect Panama personally.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
4. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(d) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
5. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) In coffins to await their end.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(d) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
2. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
3. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
5. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)