|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be no harder than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez.
(c) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(d) It will be more difficult than Suez.
2. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(b) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(c) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(d) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
4. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(b) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(c) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(d) Founding shares at a bargain price.
5. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(b) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
3. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
4. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
5. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)