|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Instituons Franzaise.
(b) Acadymie Franzaise.
(c) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
(d) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) All in new company stock.
(c) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(d) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
4. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 22,000.
(b) Some 42,000 lives.
(c) Some 12,000.
(d) Some 32,000 lives.
5. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
(b) Lyon Boyer.
(c) J. C. Rodrigues.
(d) Henri Marechal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
2. What does Theodore Roosevelt state in his first message to Congress is the reason the U.S. must construct a canal in Central America for?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
5. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)