|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) J. C. Rodrigues.
(b) Henri Marechal.
(c) Lyon Boyer.
(d) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
2. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New York.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New Orleans.
3. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 31, 1885.
(b) April 1, 1885.
(c) March 29, 1885.
(d) March 30, 1885.
4. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(b) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(c) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(d) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Suez Highway.
(b) The Orient Express.
(c) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(d) The Suez Canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
2. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
5. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)