|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(c) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(d) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(b) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(c) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(d) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
4. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
5. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(c) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(d) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
3. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)