|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
(a) Mixed demonstrations pro and con are held across France.
(b) Virtually no demonstrations occur.
(c) Protest against the company is staged across France.
(d) Popular support of the company is staged across France.
2. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "I don't have time to waste."
(b) "Accidents don't happen."
(c) "I have not lost a case yet."
(d) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(b) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(c) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(d) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) States it requires only minor modifications.
(b) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(c) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
5. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
2. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
3. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
4. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
5. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)