|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(c) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(b) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(c) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(d) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
3. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
(a) A perpetual three-mile sovereignty zone,
(b) A perpetual nine-mile sovereignty zone.
(c) A perpetual twelve-mile sovereignty zone.
(d) A perpetual six-mile sovereignty zone.
4. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
(a) They want to forget it.
(b) A run on financial institutions.
(c) Violent riots.
(d) Polite petition for redress.
5. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(b) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(c) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(d) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
2. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
3. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
4. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
5. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)