|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(b) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(c) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
2. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) On the floor in the basement.
(b) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(c) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(d) In coffins to await their end.
3. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Chagres River.
(c) Rio Grande.
(d) Rio Obispo.
4. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(b) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(c) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(d) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
5. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(d) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
2. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
3. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
5. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)