|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(b) Founding shares at a bargain price.
(c) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(d) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
2. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Colombians.
(c) The Hawaiians.
(d) The Nicaraguans.
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
(b) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(c) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(d) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
4. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Lieutenant Reclus.
(b) Abel Couvreux.
(c) Henri Bionnr.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Andrew Johnson.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Rutherford B. Hayes.
Short Answer Questions
1. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
2. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
3. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)