|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
2. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(b) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in new company stock.
(b) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(c) All in cash.
(d) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
4. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Alexander de Duponte.
(b) William Kimball.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) Jaques Jonett.
5. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
2. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
3. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)