|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(b) Hernando de Soto.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
3. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(b) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(c) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(d) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
5. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
2. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
3. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
4. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
5. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)