|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(b) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(c) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(d) $100 per share, full market value.
2. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(b) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(c) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(d) The relief of the terrain.
3. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Rio Grande.
(b) Rio Obispo.
(c) Panama River.
(d) Chagres River.
4. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 31, 1885.
(b) March 29, 1885.
(c) March 30, 1885.
(d) April 1, 1885.
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
Short Answer Questions
1. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
2. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
3. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
4. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
5. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)