|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(b) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
2. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) A. G. Menocal.
(b) Baron de Lypinay.
(c) Armand Rycus.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
3. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
(a) Violent riots.
(b) They want to forget it.
(c) A run on financial institutions.
(d) Polite petition for redress.
4. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(b) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(c) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
2. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
3. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
4. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
5. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)