|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) He will inspect Panama personally.
(c) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(d) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
2. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Instituons Franzaise.
(b) Acadymie Franzaise.
(c) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
(d) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(d) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
4. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) San Francisco.
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) Using planks.
(b) By ferry.
(d) By canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
2. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
3. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
5. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)