|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Colombians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Nicaraguans.
(d) The Hawaiians.
2. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(b) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(c) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(d) $100 per share, full market value.
4. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(b) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The relief of the terrain.
5. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(b) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
2. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
3. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
4. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
5. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)