|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(b) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
2. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(b) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(c) The Panama Railroad Company.
(d) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
3. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) First of several French master plans in Panama.
(b) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
(c) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
(d) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
4. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
5. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Panama Investigative Committee.
(b) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
(c) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(d) Committee of Thirty-Three.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
3. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
5. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)