|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Jules Flachet.
(b) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(c) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(c) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(d) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
3. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(b) They nearly perishes.
(c) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
(d) The party is a total loss.
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(b) Hernando de Soto.
(c) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
4. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
5. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)