|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
(a) Gives up his building career.
(b) Continues his building career.
(c) Takes his building career to the U.S.
(d) Becomes a politician in Greenland.
2. To eliminate rumors he is terminally ill, Ferdinand de Lesseps goes where?
(a) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(b) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
(c) To stand beside Grover Cleveland at the Eiffel Tower unveiling.
(d) To stand beside Ulysses S. Grant at the Statue of Liberty unveiling.
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in new company stock.
(b) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(c) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(d) All in cash.
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(b) The Suez Canal.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The Suez Highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
2. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
4. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
5. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)