|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Criminal trial.
(b) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
(c) Civil suit for damages.
(d) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
2. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) Andrew Johnson.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
3. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(b) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(c) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(d) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
4. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) First of several French master plans in Panama.
(b) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
(c) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
(d) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
5. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
(b) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(c) Faster than expected in the dry season.
(d) Slower than expected in the dry season.
Short Answer Questions
1. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
2. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
4. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
5. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)