|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(b) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(c) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(d) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
2. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) The party is a total loss.
(b) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(c) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
(d) They nearly perishes.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
4. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
(a) He will send noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(b) A new director general will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
(c) He will inspect Panama personally.
(d) He will accompany noted engineer, Armand Rousseau, to independently inspect.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Behind all U.S. care givers.
(b) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(c) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(d) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
2. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
3. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
4. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
5. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)