|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
2. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Lieutenant Reclus.
(b) Gaston Blanchet.
(c) Abel Couvreux.
(d) Henri Bionnr.
3. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
5. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(b) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
(c) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(d) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
2. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
4. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
5. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)