|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
2. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 32,000 lives.
(b) Some 12,000.
(c) Some 42,000 lives.
(d) Some 22,000.
3. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(b) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(c) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
(d) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
4. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
5. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Acadymie Franzaise.
(b) Instituons Franzaise.
(c) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
(d) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
Short Answer Questions
1. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
2. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
3. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
5. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)