|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
(a) 1 mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 4/5 mile.
2. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(b) French engineer officials.
(c) Railroad officials.
(d) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
3. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
(a) Continue with the sea-level plan.
(b) Keep the sea-level plan and adopt the lottery proposal.
(c) Adopt the lottery proposal, but abandon the sea-level plan.
(d) Abandon both the sea-level plan for a lock proposal, and that a lottery is insufficient.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
5. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(b) All in cash.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)