|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
2. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(c) The Panama Canal Charter.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
3. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
(a) Improbable cause for civil or criminal action.
(b) Criminal trial.
(c) Both a civil suit and criminal trial.
(d) Civil suit for damages.
4. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
5. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(c) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
3. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
4. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)