|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
2. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(b) By canoe.
(c) Using planks.
3. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(b) The Suez Highway.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The Suez Canal.
4. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(b) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(c) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(d) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
5. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
2. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
3. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
4. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
5. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)