|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) April 1, 1885.
(b) March 31, 1885.
(c) March 29, 1885.
(d) March 30, 1885.
2. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(b) Behind all U.S. care givers.
(c) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(d) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
4. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) They nearly perishes.
(b) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(c) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
(d) The party is a total loss.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(b) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(c) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
3. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
4. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)