|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(b) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(c) Hernando de Soto.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(b) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(c) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(d) $100 per share, full market value.
3. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) Noless than 7 years.
(b) No less than 10 years.
(c) No less than 9 years.
(d) No less than 11 years.
4. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(c) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(d) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
5. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(c) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(d) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
2. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
3. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)