|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
(b) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(c) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(d) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
2. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
3. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(b) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
(c) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
(d) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
4. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Gaston Blanchet.
(b) Armand Rycus.
(c) A. G. Menocal.
(d) Baron de Lypinay.
5. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(c) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(d) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
3. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
5. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)