|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(b) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(c) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(d) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(b) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(c) Hernando de Soto.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(b) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(c) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
4. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Jules Flachet.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
2. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)