|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(b) All in new company stock.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in cash.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
(b) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(c) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(d) Behind all U.S. care givers.
3. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(b) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
(d) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
4. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(b) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
5. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(b) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
2. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
3. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
4. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
5. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)