|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
2. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) They nearly perishes.
(b) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(c) The party is a total loss.
(d) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
3. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
4. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
5. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) Frequent turnover.
(b) Language differences.
(c) High illness rate.
(d) High death toll.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
5. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)