|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(c) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
2. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(d) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
3. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(c) Chagres fever.
(d) Yellow fever.
4. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(b) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(c) On the floor in the basement.
(d) In coffins to await their end.
5. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Hawaiians.
(b) The Nicaraguans.
(c) The Colombians.
(d) The Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
2. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
3. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
4. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
5. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)