|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(b) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(c) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(d) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
3. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
(b) The Bidlack Treaty.
(c) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(d) The Panama Canal Charter.
4. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(c) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(d) Hernando de Soto.
5. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(b) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(c) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(d) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
2. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
3. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
4. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
5. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)