|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(b) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(c) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(d) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
3. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(b) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(d) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
4. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
(b) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(c) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(d) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
5. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
(c) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(d) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
Short Answer Questions
1. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
3. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
4. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
5. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)