|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(c) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(d) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
2. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(b) Railroad officials.
(c) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(d) French engineer officials.
3. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
(a) The only French master plan to be had in Panama.
(b) A plan to eliminate requirement for high laborer requirement.
(c) A design for huge dam with 30% steeper banks.
(d) First of several French master plans in Panama.
4. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The Washington Monument.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The London Bridge.
5. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) Frequent turnover.
(b) Language differences.
(c) High death toll.
(d) High illness rate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
2. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
3. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
4. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)