|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
2. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) Language differences.
(b) High death toll.
(c) Frequent turnover.
(d) High illness rate.
3. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Suez Highway.
(b) The Suez Canal.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(b) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(c) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(d) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
Short Answer Questions
1. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
2. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
4. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)