|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(c) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
2. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(b) Chagres fever.
(c) Yellow fever.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(b) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(c) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(d) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
4. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(b) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
2. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
3. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
4. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
5. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)