|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(b) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(c) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(d) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
2. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(b) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(c) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(d) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(b) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(c) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(d) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(d) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Hernando de Soto.
(b) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(c) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
3. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)