|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(b) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(c) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(d) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
2. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
(a) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
(b) The Interoceanic Canal Commission (ICC).
(c) The Bureau of Science and Engineering (BSE).
(d) The Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
3. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
4. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
(a) Language differences.
(b) High illness rate.
(c) High death toll.
(d) Frequent turnover.
5. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) In coffins to await their end.
(d) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
3. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
5. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)