|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(c) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(d) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
3. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
4. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Grande.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Chagres River.
5. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(b) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
3. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
4. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
5. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)