|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(c) The Panama Canal Charter.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
2. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) William Kimball.
(b) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(c) Jaques Jonett.
(d) Alexander de Duponte.
3. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(b) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(c) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(d) Founding shares at a bargain price.
4. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
(a) Bulletin du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Gazette du Canal a Travers Panama.
(c) Enregistrons du Corridoir Centre Amerique.
(d) Journal avante de Partie du Monde.
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
3. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)