|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(b) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(c) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
2. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(b) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(c) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
(d) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
4. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
5. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(b) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(c) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(d) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
2. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
3. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
4. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)