|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
2. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(c) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
3. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Horses and wagons.
(b) Railway cars.
(c) Dump trucks.
4. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
(a) He will depart for Panama with a team of experts by October 1879.
(b) The survey requirement of the Wyse Concession is void.
(c) A double return within three years is guaranteed.
(d) He will complete the survey required by the Wyse Concession.
5. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New York.
(b) New Orleans.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)