|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Colombians.
(b) The Nicaraguans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Hawaiians.
2. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Suez Highway.
(b) The Suez Canal.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
3. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(b) Hernando de Soto.
(c) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
4. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be no harder than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(d) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
2. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
3. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)