|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(d) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
2. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Rio Obispo.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(d) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
4. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(b) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(c) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(d) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
2. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
5. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)