|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(b) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Panama Railroad Company.
(b) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(c) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(d) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
4. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(b) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
4. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
5. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)