|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(c) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
2. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 11 years.
(b) Noless than 7 years.
(c) No less than 10 years.
(d) No less than 9 years.
3. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(c) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(d) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
4. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
(b) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
5. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) All in new company stock.
(d) All in cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
2. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
5. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)