|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(b) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
2. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(b) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
(c) The Bidlack Treaty.
(d) The Panama Canal Charter.
3. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) The party is a total loss.
(b) They nearly perishes.
(c) The party is successful with no loss of life.
(d) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(b) The Suez Highway.
(c) The Suez Canal.
(d) The Orient Express.
5. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(d) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
2. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
5. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)