|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Panama River.
(b) Rio Obispo.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Grande.
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
3. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(b) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(c) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
4. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
(a) The Atlantic-Pacific Steamship Company.
(b) The Union Pacific Steamship Corporation.
(c) The Pacific Mail Steamship Company.
(d) The Intercontinental Steamship Company.
5. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(b) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
2. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
3. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)