|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(b) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(b) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(c) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(d) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
3. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York.
4. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Panama Canal Charter.
(c) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
5. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(d) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
Short Answer Questions
1. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
2. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
3. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
4. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
5. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)