|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(b) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(d) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
2. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
3. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(b) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(c) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
4. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Nicaraguans.
(b) The Hawaiians.
(c) The Colombians.
(d) The Americans.
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(b) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
5. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)