|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(b) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
2. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(b) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(c) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(d) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
3. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(c) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(d) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
5. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(b) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(c) The Panama Railroad Company.
(d) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
Short Answer Questions
1. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
2. The results of Commander Selfridge's initial orders for exploration in Central America in 1870, together with those of an additional six expeditions, were to be submitted for appraisal to which agency?
3. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
5. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)