|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
(b) The Bidlack Treaty.
(c) The Panama Canal Charter.
(d) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(c) Jules Flachet.
(d) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
3. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(c) By canoe.
(d) Using planks.
4. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Obispo.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Panama River.
(d) Chagres River.
5. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 9 years.
(b) No less than 11 years.
(c) No less than 10 years.
(d) Noless than 7 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
2. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
3. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
5. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)