|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The Statue of Liberty.
(c) The London Bridge.
(d) The Washington Monument.
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
5. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
(a) The Union Pacific Railroad Company.
(b) The San Francisco-Boston Railway.
(c) The Panama Steam Line Corporation.
(d) The Panama Railroad Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
3. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
5. Which steamship company, established just prior to news of the discovery of gold in California reaches the East, receives a federal subsidy to carry the mail?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)