|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
(a) The Suez Highway.
(b) The European-East Asian Transcontinental Highway.
(c) The Orient Express.
(d) The Suez Canal.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
3. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(d) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
5. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
(b) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(c) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
2. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
3. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
4. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)