|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) All in new company stock.
(c) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(d) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(b) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(c) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(d) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
3. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(b) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(c) The relief of the terrain.
(d) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
4. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
(b) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(c) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(d) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(c) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(d) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
Short Answer Questions
1. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
3. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
4. Which organization is later described as representing the world's first "transcontinental" railroad?
5. In late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps initiates publication of what propaganda organ?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)