|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
(a) Every survey is flawed by failure to consider realistic astrological and geological considerations.
(b) Every survey is flawed by incorrect geographic surveys or lack of geological specimens.
(c) Every survey is flawed by inaccurate data and bad assumptions.
(d) Every survey is flawed by lack of effort to gain accurate, applicable data.
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
3. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
(b) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(d) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
4. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New York.
(b) New Orleans.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) San Francisco.
5. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
2. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
3. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
4. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
5. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)