|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(d) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
2. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 11 years.
(b) No less than 10 years.
(c) No less than 9 years.
(d) Noless than 7 years.
3. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Panama River.
(d) Rio Obispo.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(c) States it requires only minor modifications.
(d) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(b) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
4. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
5. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)