|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(b) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(d) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(b) States it requires only minor modifications.
(c) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
3. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(c) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(d) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) Noless than 7 years.
(b) No less than 10 years.
(c) No less than 9 years.
(d) No less than 11 years.
5. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(b) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(c) Founding shares at a bargain price.
(d) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
3. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
4. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)