|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(b) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(c) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(d) Founding shares at a bargain price.
2. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
(a) By ferry.
(b) By canoe.
(c) Using planks.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(d) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
4. The United States is granted exclusive right of transit across the Isthmus of Panama upon the signing of what document with Colombia in 1846?
(a) The Bidlack Treaty.
(b) The Atlantic and Pacific Accord.
(c) The Panama Canal Charter.
(d) The Panamanian Isthmus Pact.
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
Short Answer Questions
1. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
3. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
5. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)