|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(c) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(d) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
2. In which book does the author urge no action be taken prior to experts first comparing the pros and cons of all potential routes in connecting the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
(a) Connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans.
(b) Joining the West with the East, a Nineteenth Century Essay.
(c) Political Essay on the Kingdom of New Span.
(d) Exploring for a Navigable Route; An Approach to Connect the East and West in a Practical Manner.
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(d) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
4. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
(d) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(b) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(c) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
2. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
3. Completed after ten years of construction in 1869, what is the significant engineering feat that shortens the trek from Europe to India by some 5,800 miles around the Horn of Africa?
4. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
5. Cholera kills 48 of 50 technicians and 150 soldiers and dependents en route to duty in Panama in 1852, yet which Fourth Infantry member survives and becomes President?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)