|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Declares the whole thing impractical.
(b) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(c) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(d) States it requires only minor modifications.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
3. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(b) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(c) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
(d) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
4. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
(a) The party is a total loss.
(b) They nearly perishes.
(c) The party identifies two locations deemed viable.
(d) The party is successful with no loss of life.
5. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(c) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(d) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
4. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
5. In what way does author David McCullough find all early 19th-century canal plans preposterous?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)