|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose does Navy Secretary George M. Robeson direct Commander Thomas O. Selfridge to the Isthmus of Darien at Caledonia Bay, some 150 miles to the east of the Panama Canal Railroad on January 10, 1870?
(a) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astrological observations.
(b) To gather germanic and botswanic specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(c) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the natives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
(d) To gather geological and botanical specimens, report on the naratives and climate, and to take astronomical observations.
2. What are the three main routes from the East to the West coasts of the U.S. in January of 1848, when gold is discovered in California?
(a) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(b) East around the Horn of Africa, around South America, and over the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Across the North American continent, east around the Horn of Africa, and through the Great Lakes and various western rivers of the North American continent.
(d) Across the North American continent, over the Isthmus of Panama, and east through the Suez Canal.
3. Based on various exploratory expeditions through 1875, at least how many points in Central America are determined to be sufficiently narrow to connect the Atlantic and Pacific oceans?
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(b) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(c) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
5. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lt. Isaac Strain's expeditionary party in 1850 when attempting to locate a potential path at the Isthmus of Darien?
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)