|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
(a) Over a hospital.
(b) Over a storeroom.
(c) Over a hotel.
(d) At canal construction site near Panama City.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
(a) In the 1840s while posted in Prussia.
(b) In the late 1820s while posted in Holland.
(c) In the late 1830s while posted in Venice.
(d) In the 1830s while posted in Egypt.
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
4. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
(a) Jose Agustin Arango.
(b) Maurice Banau-Varilla.
(c) Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(d) Manuel Amador.
5. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Rio Grande.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
5. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)