|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
(a) A perpetual six-mile sovereignty zone.
(b) A perpetual three-mile sovereignty zone,
(c) A perpetual twelve-mile sovereignty zone.
(d) A perpetual nine-mile sovereignty zone.
2. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
(b) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(c) With childlike enthusiasm.
(d) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
3. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(b) The relief of the terrain.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
4. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
(a) Surprisingly easy.
(b) Moderately hard.
(c) Almost impossible.
(d) Unbelievably difficult.
5. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
(a) A forum with Vice Admiral T. J. Miller.
(b) An interview with Commandant Harold O. McDonald.
(c) A meeting with Admiral Daniel Ammen.
(d) A conference with Dr. Christian Francis Stephenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
2. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
3. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
5. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)