|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The great dam at Gatun, that is 15 times wider at the base than it is high, is how difficult to construct?
(a) Surprisingly easy.
(b) Almost impossible.
(c) Moderately hard.
(d) Unbelievably difficult.
2. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
3. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(d) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(b) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(c) States it requires only minor modifications.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
5. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(b) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(c) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
(d) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
2. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
3. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
4. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
5. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)