|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(b) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(c) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(d) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
2. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
3. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
(a) Committee of Thirty-Three.
(b) Panama Investigative Committee.
(c) De Lesseps Investigative Committee.
(d) Compagnie Universelle Investigatie Committee.
4. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
(b) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
(c) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
(d) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
5. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) A "rotten project."
(b) "The French Connection."
(c) "Panama paranoia."
(d) The "endless mudslide."
Short Answer Questions
1. Sen. Spooner offers a Hepburn Bill amendment authorizing the President to acquire the Panama property and concessions for no more than $40 million, only if Colombia relinquishes what?
2. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
3. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
5. When Phillippe Banau-Varilla resigns as Panamanian envoy, resumes publishing Le Matin, and asks the salary due him be reserved to build a monument to whom?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)