|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Rio Obispo.
(c) Rio Grande.
(d) Panama River.
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(c) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
4. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
(a) Alexandre Ribot.
(b) Ferdinand Martin.
(c) Ydouard Drumont.
(d) Cornelius Herz.
5. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
(a) He survived yellow fever, making him immune to it thereafter.
(b) His mentor was General Walter Reed, a senior U.S. Army physician.
(c) He is the most senior U.S. medical officer with experience in the jungle.
(d) He is the foremost U.S. authority on tropical disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
2. Which President of the United States is assassinated in 1901?
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
4. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
5. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)