|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
(a) Ydouard Drumont.
(b) Ferdinand Martin.
(c) Cornelius Herz.
(d) Alexandre Ribot.
2. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
(b) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
(c) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
(d) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Jules Flachet.
4. Transfer of the Canal Zone on May 4, 1904, is not ceremonial as Lieutenant Mark Brooke receives keys to the storehouses and hospital, signs a receipt, and the U.S. flag is raised where?
(a) Over a hotel.
(b) At canal construction site near Panama City.
(c) Over a storeroom.
(d) Over a hospital.
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. A worker dies of bubonic plague on July 3, 1905, and William Crawford Gorgas immediately orders a campaign to eradicate what?
2. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
3. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
4. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
5. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)