|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
(a) $3 million.
(b) $1 million.
(c) $4 million.
(d) $2 million.
2. "The Man with the Sun in His Eyes," the subtitle for Chapter 18, refers to Theodore Roosevelt's 1906 visit to the isthmus, where he takes everything in how?
(a) Absorbing all during the daytime.
(b) With childlike enthusiasm.
(c) Blinded by the sprucing up for his viewing.
(d) It was his initial experience outside the U.S.
3. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
(a) He had to take quick action, or none at all.
(b) It was not impulsive, the situation called for quick action.
(c) Maintains it was not impulsive.
(d) Admits in hindsight it was impulsive.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(b) A liquidator is appointed.
(c) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(d) A restructuring of the company transpires.
5. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Walker does not accept the mosquito theory and insists the solution is what?
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
3. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
4. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
5. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)