|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(c) Height of dry season.
(d) Height of rainy season.
2. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
(b) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(c) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(d) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
(b) Unlike anything previously designed.
(c) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
(d) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
4. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
(a) J. C. Rodrigues.
(b) Lyon Boyer.
(c) Henri Marechal.
(d) Paul Leroy-Beaulieu.
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Hernando de Soto.
(c) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(d) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
3. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
4. Marie Gorgas provides the best impressions of the American era in Panama, noting Colon is "unspeakably dirty" and depressing and the jungle is what?
5. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)