|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William Crawford Gorgas gathers data on how weather and topography affect Anopheles mosquitoes that transmit malarial parasite to humans, and discovers what?
(a) Direct sunlight and rain are lethal to them, strong air currents are not.
(b) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents are lethal to them.
(c) Direct sunlight, rain, and strong air currents have no effect on them.
(d) Direct sunlight and strong air currents are lethal to them, rain is not.
2. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(b) Cromwell is a good cook.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(d) Cromwell's effectiveness.
3. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(b) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The relief of the terrain.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps resells lottery bonds on Nov. 15, 1887, and says Gustave Eiffel will build two huge lock flights, gates, and apparatus to lift ships over the Chagres at flood stage that are what?
(a) Modifications for Nicaragua a decade prior.
(b) Modifications for Suez a decade prior.
(c) Unlike anything previously designed.
(d) Modifications to dams used in Holland.
5. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(b) Yellow fever.
(c) Chagres fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beyond maps and plans, what is Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse refused access to in 1878?
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
3. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
4. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
5. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)