|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $60 million.
(b) $40 million.
(c) $20 million.
(d) $80 million.
2. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
(a) Director of Naval Archives, Christian Francis Stephenson; Secretary of State William Evarts; and Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Chief of Navigational Planning, Vice Admiral T. J. Miller; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(c) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President Rutherford B. Hayes.
(d) Chief of the Bureau of Navigation, Admiral Daniel Ammen; Secretary of State William Evarts; and President James A. Garfield.
3. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Height of rainy season.
(b) Height of dry season.
(c) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(d) Panama's Revolution Day.
4. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
(a) Cornelius Herz.
(b) Alexandre Ribot.
(c) Ydouard Drumont.
(d) Ferdinand Martin.
5. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
(b) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(c) To get more troops transported in for support.
(d) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. William Henry Welch of Johns Hopkins Medical School convinces Theodore Roosevelt to assign a sanitary officer. Why is Welch's former student, William Crawford Gorgas, chosen?
2. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
3. As the U.S. establishes a naval base at Cuba, annexes Hawaii, and acquires Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico, the canal Theodore Roosevelt has been advocating becomes what?
4. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
5. An initial stock offering after the1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique goes poorly, so Ferdinand de Lesseps gives back investors' funds, has another issue offered, and declares what?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)