|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get more troops transported in for support.
(b) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(c) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
(d) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
2. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(a) Chagres fever.
(b) Yellow fever.
3. Theodore Roosevelt times his visit to experience it when?
(a) Panama's Revolution Day.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
(c) Height of dry season.
(d) Height of rainy season.
4. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
(a) Arrest and jailing of Ydouard Drumont.
(b) Initially arresting and jailing Ferdinand and Charles de Lesseps.
(c) Arrest and jailing of former company officers.
(d) Audit and interrogation of the former company.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(b) A liquidator is appointed.
(c) A restructuring of the company transpires.
(d) Company shares begin an upward shift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
2. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
3. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
4. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
5. Manuel Amador looking to improve sanitation and end centuries of plague, invests what amount of U.S. $10 million payment into urgent public works projects?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)