|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt's ship arrives in Panama a day early, so as not to ruin John Steven's schedule, the Presidential party agrees to stay on board overnight, but in the morning the welcoming party finds what?
(a) Roosevelt's ship gone from port.
(b) Roosevelt ashore exploring the waterfront.
(c) Rosevelt in the jungle on a hunting expedition.
(d) Roosevelt having breakfast at a hotel.
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
(a) Panama's lack of pending revolution.
(b) Panama's lack of volcanoes.
(c) Nicaragua's recurring forest fires.
(d) Nicaragua's political uneasiness.
3. Theodore Roosevelt is in what position when he initially thrusts himself into shaping policy for an American canal?
(b) Governor of North Dakota.
(c) Former president.
(d) Governor of New York.
4. When William Howard Taft succeeds Theodore Roosevelt in 1909, the canal project is how far completed?
5. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. No sitting President has left the country before, so what is the reaction when Theodore Roosevelt announces he will visit Panama?
2. Crews respond by competing how to top the published excavation statistics?
3. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
4. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)