|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "Accidents don't happen."
(b) "I have not lost a case yet."
(c) "I don't have time to waste."
(d) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
2. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(c) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(d) Cromwell is a good cook.
3. A Panamanian National Constitutional Convention is held on January 15, 1904, and a National Assembly elects whom as President?
(a) Carlos Constantino Arosemena.
(b) Maurice Banau-Varilla.
(c) Jose Agustin Arango.
(d) Manuel Amador.
4. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
5. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Panama City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
2. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
3. Sea supremacy has always been key to national and commercial greatness, and Theodore Roosevelt publishes The Naval War of 1812 while?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)