|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Wallace/Stevens departmental system is replaced by what?
(a) Geographic divisions as in the French period.
(b) Multiple-level class system as in Mexico.
(c) Celestial, with each independent of another.
(d) Geological divisions with one atop another.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(b) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(c) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(d) $100 per share, full market value.
3. The "Great Panic" in the Canal Zone results in what?
(a) A demand for outgoing trains that cannot be kept up with.
(b) An exodus of service personnel back to their homelands.
(c) A demand for outgoing boats that cannot be kept up with.
(d) An exodus of Panamanians to Nicaragua.
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(d) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
5. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Gaston Blanchet.
(b) Baron de Lypinay.
(c) Armand Rycus.
(d) A. G. Menocal.
Short Answer Questions
1. George W. Goethals starts a weekly newspaper, the Canal Record, for what purpose?
2. Phillippe Banau-Varilla's Cincinnati civic speech of building a shorter, cheaper alternate to Nicaragua, glosses over mudslides, disease, his stock holdings, and adds what new theme to the debate?
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
5. Modest progress is made under Chief Engineer John Findley Wallace, but ends when a medley of tropical diseases results in a "Great Panic" and exodus of American engineers in what year?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)