|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Equally difficult to Suez.
(d) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
2. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(b) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
3. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
(a) Tosses a lucky franc into the bay near Panama City.
(b) Cuts the ribbon at the location for the Panama Canal.
(c) Leads the New Year's parade through the capital.
(d) Strikes the first blow for the Panama.
4. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(b) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(b) $100 per share, full market value.
(c) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(d) $300 per share, three times the market value.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
2. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
3. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)