|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) Noless than 7 years.
(b) No less than 11 years.
(c) No less than 10 years.
(d) No less than 9 years.
2. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
(a) Pierre Tirard.
(b) Philippe Banau-Varilla.
(c) H. B. Slaven.
(d) Charles de Lesseps.
3. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(b) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
(c) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
4. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $300 per share, three times the market value.
(b) $100 per share, full market value.
(c) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(d) $400 per share, four times the market value.
5. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The relief of the terrain.
(b) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
3. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)