|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Equally difficult to Suez.
(c) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(d) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
2. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(b) It will be easier than Suez.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be no harder than Suez.
3. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
(a) Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.
(b) Hernando de Soto.
(c) Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
4. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Rio Grande.
5. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Nicaraguans.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Colombians.
(d) The Hawaiians.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
2. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
3. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
5. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)