|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
(a) Baron Nicholas-Joseph-Adolphe Godin de Lepinay.
(b) Vice Admiral Clement Baron de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(c) Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire.
(d) Francisco Lopez de Gomara.
2. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Slower than expected in the dry season.
(b) Faster than expected in the dry season.
(c) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(d) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
3. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
(a) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(b) General Istvan Turr, Baron Jacques de Reinach, and Commander Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(c) Baron Istvan Turr, Commodore Jacques de Reinach, and Captain Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
(d) Colonel Istvan Turr, Lord Jacques de Reinach, and Admiral Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse.
4. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(a) Over 50%.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(d) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
2. The Chamber of Deputies is lobbied by stockholders to grant a Suez-style lottery bond issue proposed by Ferdinand de Lesseps, and he announces what?
3. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)