|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(c) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
(d) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
2. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Grande.
(b) Panama River.
(c) Chagres River.
(d) Rio Obispo.
3. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $60 million.
(b) $80 million.
(c) $20 million.
(d) $40 million.
4. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(b) Chagres fever.
(d) Yellow fever.
5. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(b) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(c) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(d) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
2. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
4. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
5. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)