|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
(a) The company finally achieves an embankment slide resolution.
(b) A liquidator is appointed.
(c) Company shares begin an upward shift.
(d) A restructuring of the company transpires.
2. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(b) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(c) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(d) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
3. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(b) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(c) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
(d) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
4. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
(a) Ycole des Ponts et Paris and Ycole Polytechnic et Chausyes.
(b) Universite Polytechnique et Paris and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(c) Ycole Polytechnique and Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes.
(d) Ycole des Ponts et Chausyes and Ycole Polytechnique.
5. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
Short Answer Questions
1. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
3. When newspapers throughout the world announce "The Great Canal Crash," and deputies order the Compagnie Universelle into receivership, demonstrations across France espouse what?
4. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
5. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)