|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(b) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(c) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(d) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
(a) Comparable in many respects to all U.S. care givers.
(b) Ahead of all U.S. care givers.
(c) Comparable to all U.S. care givers.
(d) Behind all U.S. care givers.
3. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
(a) Believes the cost estimate could be lowered somewhat.
(b) Supports the proposal wholeheartedly.
(c) States it requires only minor modifications.
(d) Declares the whole thing impractical.
4. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in cash.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
5. The Compagnie Universelle incorporates on March 3, 1881, with whom as officers?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Henri Bionne, Director.
(b) Henri Bionne, President; Charles de Lesseps, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Charles de Lesseps, Director.
(d) Charles de Lesseps, President; Henri Bionne, Secretary General; and Ferdinand de Lesseps, Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
3. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
5. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)