|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(d) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
2. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
(b) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(c) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(d) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
3. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
4. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
(d) Over 50%.
5. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(b) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(c) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(d) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
2. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)