|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(b) All in cash.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in new company stock.
2. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(b) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(c) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(d) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
3. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps briefly speaks at the Technical Commission's initial business session on January 6, 1880, then leaves it to rubber stamp what he wants in a 300-page report calling for what?
(a) Sea-level canal, Rio Obispo dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(b) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Gulf of Mexico tidal lock and breakwater.
(c) Sea-level canal, Chagres River dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
(d) Sea-level canal, Rio Grande dam, and Pacific tidal lock and breakwater.
5. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Lieutenant Reclus.
(b) Gaston Blanchet.
(c) Abel Couvreux.
(d) Henri Bionnr.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
2. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
4. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
5. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)