|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse sails back to New York in early 1879 to buy the Panama Railroad Company, but its president is the major stockholder with the leverage to demand what price?
(a) $100 per share, full market value.
(b) $200 per share, two times the market value.
(c) $400 per share, four times the market value.
(d) $300 per share, three times the market value.
2. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
3. After forming his private investment syndicate, Ferdinand de Lesseps next obtains the Wyse Concession when he purchases the Turr Syndicate for $2 million to be paid how?
(a) All in new company stock.
(b) 1/2 in cash and 1/2 in new company stock.
(c) 1/4 in cash, and 3/4 in new company stock.
(d) All in cash.
4. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(b) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(c) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(d) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
5. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be no harder than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(c) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(d) It will be easier than Suez.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps is from a family entrenched in the diplomatic services, which he enters at age 19, and he becomes interested in construction of canals when?
2. What promise does Ferdinand de Lesseps keep on January 1, 1880?
3. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
4. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
5. Going past Panama swamp in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and others reach a huge, iron bridge washed out by the worst recorded flood at Barbacoas, so they cross the river how to board another train?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)