|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
(b) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(c) Founding shares at a bargain price.
(d) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Washington Monument.
(b) The Statue of Liberty.
(c) The London Bridge.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
(b) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(c) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(d) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
5. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(b) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
(c) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(d) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is installed as Director General of the entire Panama project by Charles de Lesseps to replace Pillipe Bunau-Varilla in mid-1885?
2. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
3. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)