|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The London Bridge.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The Washington Monument.
2. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
(b) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(c) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(d) The relief of the terrain.
3. In late 1879, a large entourage sails to Panama arriving in what season?
4. Secretary of State William Evarts agrees to send Admiral Daniel Ammen and A. G. Menocal to the 1879 Paris Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in what capacity?
(a) Diplomatic functionaries, Ammen a military role and Menocal a civilian.
(b) Diplomatic functionaries, not authorized voting delegates.
(c) Authorized delegates, not diplomatic functionaries.
(d) Official Navy Department observers, not authorized delegates.
5. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
2. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
3. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
4. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
5. Whom is Ferdinand de Lesseps hailed as second only to upon his arrival in Panama with his associates in late 1879?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)