|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before leaving Panama for New York en route to Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps dismisses all talk regarding the deadly jungle climate and maintains what about the task?
(a) It will be more difficult than Suez.
(b) It will be easier than Suez.
(c) It will be easier than Suez, but take longer.
(d) It will be no harder than Suez.
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
3. Days after Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique of 1879 concludes, Ferdinand de Lesseps is behind 270 rich investors who are to receive what upon a firm being legally established?
(a) Names inscribed on the Panama Canal Monument.
(b) Founding shares at a bargain price.
(c) Property in Panama along the canal route. at bargain prices.
(d) Tax benefits in France for investing in Panama.
4. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(c) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(d) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
5. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(b) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(c) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(d) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his 1879 trip to New York, Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse travels to Washington and sees whom?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps has declares publicly that 20 ships daily shall pass via the canal by 1890, and what occurs to the Compagnie Universelle on February 4, 1889?
3. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
4. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
5. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)