|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Paris, in mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps stipulates his Panama project ranks how in comparison to Suez?
(a) Twice as difficult as Suez.
(b) Ten times more difficult than Suez.
(c) Equally difficult to Suez.
(d) Less difficult than Suez, just longer.
2. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
(a) New Orleans.
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. Lieutenants Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse and Armand Reclus plan a sea-level canal for Central America between Wyse's 1878 and 1879 visits to Washington, while Ferdinand de Lesseps does what?
(a) Organizes the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique.
(b) Sails for the Isthmus of Panama.
(c) Accompanies Wyse to Washington and New York in early 1879.
(d) Returns to the Suez Canal after ten years to examine it for stability and engineering techniques.
4. What results from the six-month expedition led by Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse that leaves France in early November of 1876?
(a) All had heat stroke, one was temporarily insane, and two died.
(b) All had malaria, three died, and he calls for a nine-mile tunnel.
(c) All had yellow fever, one died, and two remained to pan for gold in the Bogotá River.
(d) All had cholera, six died in the jungle, and two died on the return trip at sea.
5. Upon their arrival in Panama in late 1879, Ferdinand de Lesseps and his group take the train into the jungle and enter the valley of what wide, brown, looping waterway?
(a) Rio Obispo.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Panama River.
(d) Chagres River.
Short Answer Questions
1. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
2. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
3. Who offers a solution letting Ferdinand de Lesseps extract himself honorably and gain income from tolls coming in?
4. Who is the Turr Syndicate directed by?
5. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)