|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the bottom lands of Panama in late 1879, while en route to Panama City, the Ferdinand de Lesseps entourage follow what river toward the summit at Culebra?
(a) Chagres River.
(b) Rio Grande.
(c) Rio Obispo.
(d) Panama River.
2. Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon Bonaparte Wyse negotiates a contract with Colombian President Aquileo Parra on March 23, 1878, including what conditions?
(a) Colombia receives 3% of gross revenue for 15 years and 2% increases at 25, 50, and 75 years.
(b) One million francs down, surveys in two years, canal company in 3 years, and construction complete 15 years after that.
(c) Colombia is guaranteed varying percentages of the gross revenue for initial 150 years.
(d) 750,000 francs down, surveys in three years, canal company in five years, and building within 12 years after that.
3. "The Hero" is a reference to the esteem surrounding Ferdinand de Lesseps at what point in history?
(a) In 1875 when he announces his interest in an interoceanic canal.
(b) His foundation of the Sociyty Civile Internationale du Canal Interocyanique de Darien.
(c) Upon the 1869 opening of his lockless Suez Canal.
(d) During the ten-month 1870-1871 Franco-German War.
4. In July of 1886, Ferdinand de Lesseps requests and gets a vote of confidence, then proposes a Suez-style lottery bond issue to raise how much?
(a) $40 million.
(b) $80 million.
(c) $20 million.
(d) $60 million.
5. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(c) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(d) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Panama shares slip in value by mid-1885, Ferdinand de Lesseps lies to the stockholders stating the task is how far accomplished?
2. Which delegate to the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris takes into consideration the deadly climate of Panama?
3. Which monument unveiling did Ferdinand de Lesseps attend in October of 1886?
4. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
5. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)