|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(b) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(c) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(d) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
2. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
4. Three weeks following the arrival of news of the Colon fire in Paris, Ferdinand de Lesseps achieves the ultimate honor, induction where?
(a) Acadymie Franzaise.
(b) Instituons Franzaise.
(c) Acadymie Manigance le Franzaise.
(d) Instituons Edifiant le Franzaise.
5. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Hawaiians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Colombians.
(d) The Nicaraguans.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
2. Armand Rousseau's report declares abandoning the Panama project will harm French prestige and advocates what?
3. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
4. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
5. Although Lieutenant Lucien Napoleon-Bonaparte Wyse completes his trip to Bogota, Colombia, in mid-May of 1878, and subsequently conducts a preliminary trip to Nicaragua, where does the lieutenant travel next?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)