|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(c) Cromwell is a good cook.
(d) Cromwell's effectiveness.
2. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) Noless than 7 years.
(b) No less than 9 years.
(c) No less than 10 years.
(d) No less than 11 years.
3. The liquidator's ordering a halt to work on the Isthmus instigates what among workers and shareholders?
(a) Polite petition for redress.
(b) Violent riots.
(c) They want to forget it.
(d) A run on financial institutions.
4. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
(b) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
(c) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(d) To get more troops transported in for support.
5. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
(c) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the public prosecutor, Jules Quesnay de Beaurepaire, propose in October 1892?
2. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
3. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
4. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
5. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)