|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "I have not lost a case yet."
(b) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
(c) "Accidents don't happen."
(d) "I don't have time to waste."
2. A. G. Menocal tells the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique he had been in Panama in 1875 planning a sea-level canal, but abandoned that idea when he grasped what?
(a) The full impact of the Chagres River.
(b) The time it would take to complete a sea-level canal in Panama as it would elsewhere.
(c) The relief of the terrain.
(d) The engineering complexities of a sea-level canal through Panama.
3. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
(a) Gaston Blanchet.
(b) Henri Bionnr.
(c) Lieutenant Reclus.
(d) Abel Couvreux.
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(c) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
5. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Colombians.
(b) The Nicaraguans.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Hawaiians.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
4. A sea-level canal built at Panama is just impossible, and using 1880s equipment, the lock canal approach maximizes what?
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)