|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(b) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(c) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
2. What 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique delegation drew attention by the maps and plans they brought that had never been seen in Europe before?
(a) The Hawaiians.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Nicaraguans.
(d) The Colombians.
3. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(b) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
4. When is the rainy season and how much is dropped along the line cutting through seven miles of swamps and marsh, beyond Gatun?
(a) May-December, 120-130 inches annually.
(b) May-September, 100-110 inches annually.
(c) July-November, 50-60 inches annually.
(d) June-October, 175-185 inches annually.
5. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) Noless than 7 years.
(b) No less than 11 years.
(c) No less than 10 years.
(d) No less than 9 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
2. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
3. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
5. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)