|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Slower than expected in the dry season.
(b) Faster than expected in the dry season.
(c) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(d) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
2. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
3. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
(a) Madame de Bonnemains' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(b) General Boulanger's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(c) Ydouard Drumont's La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
(d) Ferdinand de Lesseps' La France Juive and La Derniire Bataille.
4. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
(a) Continues his building career.
(b) Takes his building career to the U.S.
(c) Gives up his building career.
(d) Becomes a politician in Greenland.
5. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
(b) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(c) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(d) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
Short Answer Questions
1. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
2. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
3. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
4. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
5. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)