|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) The "endless mudslide."
(b) "Panama paranoia."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) "The French Connection."
2. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
(a) The Chinese delegation had come the farthest distance.
(b) China was recognized for constructing the large dams and the Great Wall by engineers.
(c) China was recognized for constructng the 999-room palace in Lhasa, Tibet.
(d) Because China was expected to provide the labor to dig the canal.
3. Once digging the "Great Trench" starts at Emperador on January 20, 1882, it moves how quickly?
(a) Slower than expected in the dry season.
(b) Much faster than expected in the rainy season.
(c) Faster than expected in the dry season.
(d) Much slower than expected in the dry season.
4. French engineers at Panama look on American colleagues as merely adroit at improvisation, but find making do with what is available under pressure difficult and that Suez was too easy, as warned by whom?
(a) Baron de Lypinay.
(b) Armand Rycus.
(c) A. G. Menocal.
(d) Gaston Blanchet.
5. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(b) Chagres fever.
(d) Yellow fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
2. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
3. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
4. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
5. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)