|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
2. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
(b) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(c) To get more troops transported in for support.
(d) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
3. Chapter 8 summarizes what evolves in the courtrooms and subsequent to massive corporate collapse that affects how many French investors?
(d) Over 1 million.
4. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(b) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
(d) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
(a) He did not go back to Panama because they would not let him drive another steam shovel.
(b) The canal would not have started if he followed normal legislative channels.
(c) It was not initiating the canal that was the problem, it was seeing it through.
(d) The canal started because he followed normal legislative channels.
Short Answer Questions
1. An illustrated, anti-Semitic daily, La Libre Parole receives attention in September 1892 as it starts featuring exposes of the "Jewish plot in Panama" and the Minister of Justice orders what?
2. Why is it nearly impossible in the early stages of canal construction to maintain an adequate work force?
3. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
4. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
5. What 100+ edition, 1,000+ page book holding Jews responsible for all woes appears in 1886, and when the Compagnie Universelle fails, whose "history" of the firm is a best seller in 1890?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)