|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) The "endless mudslide."
(c) A "rotten project."
(d) "The French Connection."
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
(a) Cromwell is a good cook.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt's interest in Cromwell's views.
(c) Cromwell's effectiveness.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt's friendship with Cromwell.
4. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
5. Who ensures the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opens in May, the best time to be in Paris, has final say as to the agenda, rules, committee make-up, and entertainment?
(a) Ferdinand de Lesseps.
(b) Jules Flachet.
(c) Admiral de La Ronciere-Le Noury.
(d) Alexandre Gustave Eiffel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is U.S. delegate Admiral Ammen's view of the American canal plan, given at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique, with a 1,900 foot viaduct over the Chagres River, 12 locks at each end, and costing $94.6 million?
2. Which investigative group of the Panama Affair holds 63 sessions, receives 158 depositions, complies over 1,000 dossiers, but issues a report that embarrasses no colleagues?
3. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
4. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
5. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)