|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, on November 1, 1903, do Manuel Amador and a colleague let Colonel James Shaler know Colombian troops are approaching?
(a) To get more arms, supplies, and troops brought in.
(b) To get more arms and supplies brought in.
(c) To get more troops transported in for support.
(d) To get rolling stock safely moved to Panama City.
2. Which delegate, so eager not to miss the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique opening remarks, leaves his bags behind and has to purchase appropriate attire and call a barber in?
(a) Mexican delegate Francisco de Garay.
(b) Colombian delegate Pedro Sosa.
(c) Dutch delegate Jacob Dirks.
(d) British delegate Sir John Stokes.
3. Where does Manuel Amador send a coded telegram to on October 28, 1903?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Panama City.
(d) New York.
4. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) "The French Connection."
(c) The "endless mudslide."
(d) A "rotten project."
5. U.S. delegate Commander Selfridge raises what issue regarding Nicaragua while at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris?
(a) Its history of volcanic disturbances and typhoons.
(b) Its history of floods and earthquakes.
(c) Its history of volcanic disturbances and earthquakes.
(d) Its history of typhoons and hurricanes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yeas were primarily French, yet A.G. Menocal's analysis of the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique canal site vote showed how many were French Society of Engineers members?
2. According to newspapers, why does Le-Shu-Chang receive the longest applause when the opportunity to rise for recognition at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique comes?
3. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps lost a son and a wife to cholera in Egypt and invests $7.1 million in hospitals that a Canadian doctor declares the best in the tropics, and an American, decades later, places where?
5. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)