|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Incredible Task" is the subtitle for Chapter 5 which chronicles the initial years of the Compagnie Universelle, marked by what?
(a) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal but economical progress, and reasonable logistical and natural challenges.
(b) Soaring hopes, misleading propaganda, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(c) Low hopes, misleading propaganda, minimal and costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
(d) Cautious hopes, honest promotion, real but costly progress, and massive logistical and natural challenges.
2. In a 1911 University of California Berkeley speech, former President Theodore Roosevelt gets laughs and applause when he maintains what?
(a) It was not initiating the canal that was the problem, it was seeing it through.
(b) The canal would not have started if he followed normal legislative channels.
(c) The canal started because he followed normal legislative channels.
(d) He did not go back to Panama because they would not let him drive another steam shovel.
3. Phillippe Banau-Varilla goes to the "Lion's Cage," the home of John T. Morgan, and it almost comes to blows when Morgan terms Panama as what?
(a) "Panama paranoia."
(b) A "rotten project."
(c) The "endless mudslide."
(d) "The French Connection."
4. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
(a) Impractical, unable to estimate cost, and an earthquake area.
(b) Impractical, costing $209 million, including locks, and taking 12 years.
(c) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking six years.
(d) Practical, costing $140 million, and taking 12 years.
5. A Compagnie Nouvelle du Canal de Panama is incorporated on October 20, 1894 and the liquidator extends the Wyse Concession through what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
3. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
4. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
5. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)