|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
(a) Takes his building career to the U.S.
(b) Continues his building career.
(c) Becomes a politician in Greenland.
(d) Gives up his building career.
2. The 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique Technical Committe hears proposals for how many passage sites before focusing on the Americans' Nicaraguan and the Wyse plans?
3. Ferdinand de Lesseps' second attempt at going public, is the largest financial endeavor yet, with each share ($100) representing a year's income for half of France's working class, but may be bought how?
(a) 25% down, six years to pay the rest.
(b) 25% down, five years to pay the rest.
(c) 50% down, six years to pay the rest.
(d) 25% down, balance in equal monthly payments for three years.
4. Which survivors enjoy lifelong immunity from the disease that comes and goes in waves?
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Chagres fever.
5. Jaques de Reinach is a nominal villain in comparison to whom?
(a) Cornelius Herz.
(b) Alexandre Ribot.
(c) Ferdinand Martin.
(d) Ydouard Drumont.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cream of the crop of 19th-century French engineers are trained at what two institutions (the most brilliant at the former, and only its top graduates at the latter)?
2. Theodore Roosevelt declares he would have recommended the Congress take possession of the isthmus had the Panamanians not revolted, as which nation is not a responsible power?
3. What do closed subcommittees at the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique in Paris establish that the Nicaragua canal route is?
4. In a special message to Congress on January 4, 1904, Theodore Roosevelt claims what nation violates a U.S. mandate to build the canal, the "great design" of the 1846 treaty to secure its construction?
5. Since William Nelson Cromwell has White House access, which John Tyler Morgan reportedly hates him for, what does Cromwell view that as proof of?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)