|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In just over a decade in Panama, the French spend $287 million and expend how many lives?
(a) Some 32,000 lives.
(b) Some 22,000.
(c) Some 12,000.
(d) Some 42,000 lives.
2. Jaques de Reinach is the "Micros" article's inside source, but Ydouard Drumont denies testifying, unless he is pardoned for what type of conviction keeping him in prison?
3. A Saint Gotthard Tunnel engineer, Ribourt, warned the 1879 Congris International d'Ytudes du Canal Interocyanique that, even 24 hours a day, the Wyse plan including a tunnel would take how long?
(a) No less than 11 years.
(b) No less than 9 years.
(c) Noless than 7 years.
(d) No less than 10 years.
4. Both Napoleonic types, Philippe Banau-Varilla and William Nelson Cromwell are the "Panama Lobby" spokesmen, the latter a corporate lawyer with a mystery reputation who pulls strings, what is his motto?
(a) "Accidents don't happen."
(b) "I have not lost a case yet."
(c) "If I had a nickel for every time I heard that."
(d) "I don't have time to waste."
5. What does Theodore Roosevelt stress in his autobiography as to his action in Panama?.
(a) It was not impulsive, the situation called for quick action.
(b) He had to take quick action, or none at all.
(c) Admits in hindsight it was impulsive.
(d) Maintains it was not impulsive.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Walker asks Compagnie Nouvelle to verify it's franchises and title in Pa nama in April 1901, gets no reply by June, and has William Cromwell ask directly how much his client wants. They reply how?
2. In June of 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps pays Park's price, that has increased $200 per share to $250 cash, consuming how much of the company's resources?
3. Gustave Eiffel eventually is able to clear his name, but what does he do afterward?
4. In November 1881, who dies the apparent victim of malaria, the most common tropical disease?
5. What other term or phrase describes Phillippe Banau-Varilla besides bold, vain, personable, energetic, practical, and brilliant?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)