|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
(a) July 26, 1905.
(b) July 26, 1904.
(c) December 15, 1906.
(d) December 15, 1905.
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(b) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(c) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(d) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
3. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(b) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
(c) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
(d) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
4. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
5. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
2. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
3. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
4. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
5. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)