|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
(b) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(c) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(d) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
2. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(c) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(d) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
3. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
(a) 10-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(b) 100-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(c) 75-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(d) 50-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
4. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Jaques Jonett.
(b) Alexander de Duponte.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) William Kimball.
5. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) In coffins to await their end.
(b) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(c) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(d) On the floor in the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
2. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
3. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
4. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
5. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)