|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
(a) Charles F. Magoon.
(b) John Findley Wallace.
(c) William N. Cromwell.
(d) Theodore Perry Shonts.
2. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) In coffins to await their end.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(d) Outside the hospital on the ground.
3. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
4. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) French engineer officials.
(b) Railroad officials.
(c) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(d) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
5. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
(b) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(c) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(d) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
2. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
3. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
4. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)