|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
(b) Stay out of the hot sun.
(c) Eat no fruit.
(d) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
2. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
(a) 100-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(b) 50-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(c) 10-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
(d) 75-1 odds against Panama into a narrow 42-34 win.
3. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(b) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(c) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(d) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
4. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
(b) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(c) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
(d) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
5. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
(a) 10-1 a Nicaragua canal.
(b) 6-5 a Panama canal.
(c) 9-2 a Panama canal.
(d) 7-4 a Nicaragua canal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
2. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
3. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
4. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
5. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)