|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
(a) Specter warning against Americans getting mired in ruin.
(b) Advertisement drive promoting the Panama canal.
(c) Call to join the nation's project at Panama in support of the U.S. Navy.
(d) Bond drive in support of the Panamal canal.
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 30, 1885.
(b) April 1, 1885.
(c) March 29, 1885.
(d) March 31, 1885.
3. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
(a) Theodore Perry Shonts.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) John Stevens.
(d) William Howard Taft.
4. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
(a) 7-4 a Nicaragua canal.
(b) 6-5 a Panama canal.
(c) 9-2 a Panama canal.
(d) 10-1 a Nicaragua canal.
5. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
(a) 4/5 mile.
(b) 3/4 mile.
(c) 1/2 mile.
(d) 1 mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
2. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
3. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
4. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
5. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)