|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Dump trucks.
(b) Railway cars.
(c) Horses and wagons.
2. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
(a) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 30,000 killed.
(b) 1,500 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(c) 150 miles from Nicaragua, 3,000 killed.
(d) 3,000 miles from Nicaragua, 15,000 killed.
3. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
(b) French engineer officials.
(c) Railroad officials.
(d) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
4. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) William Kimball.
(b) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(c) Alexander de Duponte.
(d) Jaques Jonett.
5. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
(b) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(c) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(d) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
2. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
3. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
4. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
5. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)