|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
2. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
3. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
4. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
5. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(b) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
(c) On the floor in the basement.
(d) In coffins to await their end.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
2. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
3. The Morgan Committee rejects the Walker Commission recommendations, the Senate debates the issues for two weeks, and Mt. Pelye's explosion and a Nicaraguan stamp turn odds how?
4. When do Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens land without ceremony at Colon?
5. Who orders commissaries established immediately, even if this will violate agreements with Panama?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)