|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(b) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(c) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
(d) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
2. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Alexander de Duponte.
(b) Jaques Jonett.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) William Kimball.
3. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) In coffins to await their end.
(d) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
4. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 29, 1885.
(b) April 1, 1885.
(c) March 30, 1885.
(d) March 31, 1885.
5. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
Short Answer Questions
1. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
2. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
3. On May 2, 1902, the second key swaying event following the Morgan Committee reports is Mount Pelye exploding on Martinique; how far away and how many killed?
4. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
5. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)