|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
2. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
(a) Railroad officials.
(b) U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
(c) French engineer officials.
(d) "Seabees" (construction battalions of the Civil Engineer Corps of the U.S. Navy).
3. Some mortality estimates go up to 75% among French immigrants and beds are reported to be at such a premium that the dying have been placed where?
(a) Outside the hospital on the ground.
(b) On the floor in the basement.
(c) In coffins to await their end.
(d) On the railway platform to await a train to the cemetary when they die.
4. When is the sanitation problem remedied at Colon when the town burns to the ground?
(a) March 29, 1885.
(b) March 31, 1885.
(c) April 1, 1885.
(d) March 30, 1885.
5. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
(a) Alexander de Duponte.
(b) Jaques Jonett.
(c) Phillipe Bunau-Varilla.
(d) William Kimball.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
2. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
3. John Stevens is scheduled to accompany William H. Taft to the Philippines to advise on railroad construction, when who urges John Stevens to go to Panama as John Findley Wallace's successor?
4. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
5. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)