|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
(a) Herne, Slaven & Co. (later American Contracting and Dredging Co.).
(b) Compagnie Universal de Panama.
(c) Slaven & Herne Dredging & Contracting, Inc.
(d) Compagnie Nouvelle de Canal de Panama.
2. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
(b) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(c) Stay out of the hot sun.
(d) Eat no fruit.
3. The ICC's new Chairman, Theodore Perry Shonts, is best described how?
4. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(b) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(c) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
(d) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
5. The first event after the Morgan Commission that changes in favor of Panama, is Theodore Roosevelt reading news of how an audience, of civil engineers listening to Irving M. Scott in New York, does what?
(a) Unanimously rallies for Panama.
(b) Unanimously rallies for Nicaragua.
(c) Unanimously rallies for Mexico.
(d) Unanimously rallies for Colombia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Panama is divided into how many sections for work purposes?
2. Julesa Dingler restores order and confidence upon arrival, distributes the workload, purges the disloyal, and formulates what?
3. On March 10, 1902, the Morgan Committee reports out the Hepburn Bill favorably, recommending what?
4. John Stevens feels the Panama Canal can be completed by January 1914, but doubts a sea- level version can be prior to what year?
5. Who rebuilds Colon after it goes up in flames, killing 18 and leaving some 8,000 homeless?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)