|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Company physicians agree on what as the best advice regarding the maladies associated with Panama?
(a) Avoid getting wet to protect against night air.
(b) Leave the Isthmus quickly.
(c) Eat no fruit.
(d) Stay out of the hot sun.
2. What takes place subsequent to the arrival of Theodore Perry Shonts and John Stevens in Panama?
(a) Shonts becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus..
(b) Shonts becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
(c) Stevens becomes the easygoing, relaxed master of the isthmus.
(d) Stevens becomes the irritating, authoritative master of the isthmus.
3. Chairman Morgan appears happy questioning witnesses in February 1902, and his badgering of Ydouard Lampry, the Compagnie Nouvelle spokesman creates what?
(a) Overblown headlines but no substance to report.
(b) Legitimate headlines, no substance to be reported.
(c) Overblown headlines and lies reported.
(d) Overblown headlines, but legitimate substance to report.
4. When, on March 29, 1885, Haitian-born, xenophobic Pedro Prestan and a handful of barefoot followers take six U.S. hostages and demand guns, an American consul orders compliance; what happens next?
(a) Cmdr. Theodore F. Kane moves the gunboat Galena and takes control.
(b) Cmdr. Joseph L. Dow moves the gunboat Wachusett and takes control.
(c) Cmdr. William Connor moves the gunboat Tennessee and takes control.
(d) Cmdr. George Burt moves the gunboat Shenandoah and takes control.
5. While dredging predominates in the lowlands, steam shovels, picks, shovels, and what else are key in the uplands?
(a) Railway cars.
(c) Dump trucks.
(d) Horses and wagons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What firm tows its first massive, steam-powered dredges to Colon in April of 1883?
2. When Jules Dingler quits upon approaching mental and physical collapse and Maurice Hutin steps in for a month before resigning also, who becomes acting head of the entire effort?
3. A huge dam taming the Chagres changes the slope, increasing the "cube" excavation by how much?
4. Ferdinand de Lesseps' name comes up repeatedly before the Morgan Committee through March 1902, reportedly like a what?
5. Due to continuing slides, the "total cube" of the cut steadily increases, until it appears necessary for the top of the cut to be how far wide to achieve a mathematically stable 1:4 ratio?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)