|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does someone notice that Pat was caught in a scene in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
2. For what is a producer in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby" desperate?
3. What historical figure is Pat writing about in "A Patriotic Short"?
4. Why has the director in "No Harm Trying" not worked in months?
5. In "A Patriotic Short," where did the president attend a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "No Harm Trying," why does Pat's idea fail?
2. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," how does the artist try to get the look of desperation in Pat's face?
3. In "Mightier Than the Sword," how does Pat get a job?
4. In "No Harm Trying," what results from Pat's efforts to create a movie?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," how does Pat get himself into trouble?
6. Why does Pat steal a hat in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby"?
7. What happens during the shooting of the scene in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
8. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," what is ironic in regards to Pat's reaction to his being forgotten in the ditch?
9. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," what does being asked to sit for an artist cause Pat to feel?
10. Why does Wainwright give Pat the tickets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" carries a theme of kinship between two people who feel similarly unsympathetic feelings toward Gooddorf for different reasons. How do Pat and Helen bond? What are their feelings about Gooddorf, and how does this create a connection between the two of them? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "No Harm Trying," the story is built up in such a way that one thinks they will know the ending, but it ends up being a surprise. However, it reflects many themes from the collection of stories. What happens in the conclusion? What themes are reflected in the conclusion, and how are they reflected? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Though Pat tries to do something good in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," he ends up being the bad guy. What were Pat's intentions in the story? What results from Pat's actions, and what does this reveal about his character? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)