|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pat feel that he needs a certain item in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby"?
2. Where does Pat steal an item from in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby"?
3. In "Mightier Than the Sword," whom does Pat overhear arguing with a producer?
4. In "No Harm Trying," why can't Pat use the brilliant movie idea?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," whom does Pat ask for a loan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "On the Trail of Pat Hobby," what job does Pat find for the day?
2. In "A Patriotic Short," what was Pat's life like in the past as a popular writer?
3. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," how does the artist try to get the look of desperation in Pat's face?
4. In "A Patriotic Short," why does Pat become nostalgic?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," what is ironic in regards to Pat's reaction to his being forgotten in the ditch?
6. Describe Pat's experience with the President in "A Patriotic Short."
7. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," how does Pat get himself into trouble?
8. In "Two Old-Timers," what does Pat point out about Phil's acting days?
9. In "No Harm Trying," what results from Pat's efforts to create a movie?
10. Why does the staff forget about Pat, even though he passes out in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A prominent theme in The Pat Hobby Stories is the politics of Hollywood, and that theme is especially dominant in "Pat Hobby's Preview." How is the theme of Hollywood politics reflected in the story? How does Pat suffer under Hollywood politics? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
The story "No Harm Trying" is a good example of how things are not always as they seem. How are things much different than they appear in the story? Name three specific examples of how things are not as they originally appear in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "A Man in the Way," Pat shows his darker side. Describe the transformation of Pat's character throughout the story. What instigates his transformation? Does Pat's transformation aid or deter him? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)