|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," whom does Pat ask for a loan?
2. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," who orders Pat to undress?
3. In "A Patriotic Short," where did the president attend a party?
4. What does the historical figure that Pat is writing about do in "A Patriotic Short"?
5. In "No Harm Trying," what does Pat try to pitch to the studio executive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "No Harm Trying," why does Pat's idea fail?
2. In "Two Old-Timers," what does Pat point out about Phil's acting days?
3. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," what does being asked to sit for an artist cause Pat to feel?
4. Why does the staff forget about Pat, even though he passes out in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," how does Pat get himself into trouble?
6. In "A Patriotic Short," why does Pat become nostalgic?
7. In "On the Trail of Pat Hobby," what job does Pat find for the day?
8. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," how does the artist try to get the look of desperation in Pat's face?
9. Describe Pat's experience with the President in "A Patriotic Short."
10. Why does Wainwright give Pat the tickets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "A Patriotic Short," Pat reminisces about the things he used to have as a successful writer and the status symbols that were associated with his success. How are status symbols reflected in the story? Name some status symbols in the story and their importance. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Teamed With Genius," Pat's personality is reflected prominently in the story. Describe Pat's personality. How do Pat's actions reflect his personality in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Humor is a prominent aspect of The Pat Hobby Stories, and this is especially true in "Pat Hobby's Secret." How is the theme of humor reflected in the story? Cite three examples of how humor is reflected in the story and why each instance is humorous. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)