|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On the Trail of Pat Hobby," who hears Pat's suggestion?
2. In "On the Trail of Pat Hobby," what does Pat steal?
3. How did a movie help the arresting cop in "Two Old-Timers"?
4. In "Two Old-Timers," what kind of movie does the arresting cop mention?
5. What is the profession of the person Pat runs into in "Two Old-Timers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Preview," what has caused Pat to lose respect since movies have changed?
2. What happens during the shooting of the scene in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
3. Describe Pat's experience with the President in "A Patriotic Short."
4. Why does Pat end up begging for tickets to the preview in "Pat Hobby's Preview," and why is this significant?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," what is ironic in regards to Pat's reaction to his being forgotten in the ditch?
6. Describe what faults Pat finds in the actress, call boy, and director in "No Harm Trying."
7. In "On the Trail of Pat Hobby," what job does Pat find for the day?
8. In "Pat Hobby's Preview," what does the co-writer's demand that Pat's name be taken off the credits indicate?
9. In "Two Old-Timers," what does Pat point out about Phil's acting days?
10. In "No Harm Trying," what results from Pat's efforts to create a movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Teamed With Genius," Pat's personality is reflected prominently in the story. Describe Pat's personality. How do Pat's actions reflect his personality in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
A prominent theme in The Pat Hobby Stories is the politics of Hollywood, and that theme is especially dominant in "Pat Hobby's Preview." How is the theme of Hollywood politics reflected in the story? How does Pat suffer under Hollywood politics? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "A Patriotic Short," Pat reminisces about the things he used to have as a successful writer and the status symbols that were associated with his success. How are status symbols reflected in the story? Name some status symbols in the story and their importance. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)