|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "No Harm Trying," who has sent a message to Pat?
2. How did a movie help the arresting cop in "Two Old-Timers"?
3. What does Pat discuss with the President in "A Patriotic Short"?
4. How does Pat react to what has to occur to his character in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
5. What does Pat do in the scene in the ditch in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pat steals the hat in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby"?
2. Describe Pat's experience with the President in "A Patriotic Short."
3. Describe what faults Pat finds in the actress, call boy, and director in "No Harm Trying."
4. In "Two Old-Timers," how does seeing Phil make Pat feel better about himself?
5. Why does Wainwright give Pat the tickets?
6. In "A Patriotic Short," what was Pat's life like in the past as a popular writer?
7. In "Two Old-Timers," what does Pat point out about Phil's acting days?
8. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," how does the artist try to get the look of desperation in Pat's face?
9. In "Mightier Than the Sword," why does Pat's script go unused?
10. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," how does Pat get himself into trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "A Man in the Way," Pat shows his darker side. Describe the transformation of Pat's character throughout the story. What instigates his transformation? Does Pat's transformation aid or deter him? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," Pat has never really known his son, who comes to visit the studio. Describe Pat and his son's relationship. How do Pat and his son view each other? How do their views affect the way they interact? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Teamed With Genius," Pat's personality is reflected prominently in the story. Describe Pat's personality. How do Pat's actions reflect his personality in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)