|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat use to hit someone at lunch in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
2. What does Pat go to Berners' office to do in "A Man in the Way"?
3. Whom does Pat see walking up the front steps at the end of "The Homes of the Stars"?
4. How does Pat feel about the person everyone keeps talking about in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
5. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," what does all the excitement cause Pat to forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Teamed With Genius," what does everyone else predict about Pat, and how do they anticipate his actions?
2. In "The Homes of the Stars," what happens when Pat leads a couple into the house that he pretends is Shirley Temple's?
3. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
4. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
5. How does Pat try to impress his son in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
6. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
7. What is the biggest example of Pat's unluckiness in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
8. Describe the character of Pat in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish."
9. How is Pat's lie revealed in "A Man in the Way"?
10. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how does Pat get a loan from Jeff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Humor is a prominent aspect of The Pat Hobby Stories, and this is especially true in "Pat Hobby's Secret." How is the theme of humor reflected in the story? Cite three examples of how humor is reflected in the story and why each instance is humorous. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is a theme that runs throughout "Pat Hobby's Secret" in the form of some of the characters' actions and the situations in which they find themselves. How is the theme of irony reflected in this story? Cite at least two specific examples of how irony is reflected in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," the theme of humiliation runs throughout the story. How is the theme of humiliation reflected in the story? How does the theme of humiliation affect Pat? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)