|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," what is Mr. Banizon's profession?
2. What does Pat try to do to secure a better position in the studio in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
3. Why does Gooddorf refuse to bend to Pat's demands in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
4. What kind of brochures does the man in "The Homes of the Stars" sell?
5. Whom does Pat convince to go to lunch with him in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the man who tries to sit at the Big Table in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
2. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how does Pat get a loan from Jeff?
3. In "The Homes of the Stars," what kind of scam does Pat run?
4. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
5. How does Pat react to Rene Wilcox in "Teamed With Genius"?
6. How does Pat feel about the change in movies in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
7. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
8. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
9. In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," how does Pat's desperation show through?
10. How does Pat show his darker side in "A Man in the Way"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pat used to be an important person at the studio. He was successful and popular, but that has changed. How has Pat's career transformed throughout the years? What is his role as a writer now, and how does his current role affect his judgment? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," Pat finds out a secret and attempts blackmail in order to get a better job. Describe the situation in which Pat tries to blackmail someone. How is the theme of desperation reflected in this story? Cite a few examples of how the theme of desperation is reflected in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," Pat shows another side of himself when he tries to uphold the protocol of the commissary. How is the theme of respect reflected in this story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)