|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the playwright do most of the time in "Teamed with Genius"?
2. How is the condition for Pat's gift broken in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
3. Whom did Pat's ex-wife marry in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," who threatens Pat at the inquest?
5. Where are the visitors from in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," what shows Pat's desperation, and why is he desperate?
2. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how does Pat get the ending to the story from Woll?
3. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
4. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," who is Pat's son? Describe his origins.
5. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Pat's son offer him and on what condition?
6. In "The Homes of the Stars," what kind of scam does Pat run?
7. In "The Homes of the Stars," what happens when Pat leads a couple into the house that he pretends is Shirley Temple's?
8. In "Teamed With Genius," why does Pat refuse to be left out in writing the script?
9. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
10. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "No Harm Trying," the story is built up in such a way that one thinks they will know the ending, but it ends up being a surprise. However, it reflects many themes from the collection of stories. What happens in the conclusion? What themes are reflected in the conclusion, and how are they reflected? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" carries a theme of kinship between two people who feel similarly unsympathetic feelings toward Gooddorf for different reasons. How do Pat and Helen bond? What are their feelings about Gooddorf, and how does this create a connection between the two of them? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Pat used to be an important person at the studio. He was successful and popular, but that has changed. How has Pat's career transformed throughout the years? What is his role as a writer now, and how does his current role affect his judgment? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)