|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," what is Mr. Banizon's profession?
2. How does the young woman's actions at the end of "A Man in the Way" affect Pat?
3. Where is Pat working at in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. Whom does Pat see walking up the front steps at the end of "The Homes of the Stars"?
5. How much is Pat offered for a weekly salary in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how does Pat get the ending to the story from Woll?
2. Describe the character of Pat in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish."
3. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how is Pat pushed to the back burner, even when he is dressed like Orson Welles?
4. What happens when Pat directs the chauffeur to Shirley Temple's house in "The Homes of the Stars"?
5. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
6. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," who is Pat's son? Describe his origins.
7. What is the biggest example of Pat's unluckiness in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
8. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
9. In "Teamed With Genius," what does everyone else predict about Pat, and how do they anticipate his actions?
10. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," the theme of humiliation runs throughout the story. How is the theme of humiliation reflected in the story? How does the theme of humiliation affect Pat? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" carries a theme of kinship between two people who feel similarly unsympathetic feelings toward Gooddorf for different reasons. How do Pat and Helen bond? What are their feelings about Gooddorf, and how does this create a connection between the two of them? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Though Pat tries to do something good in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," he ends up being the bad guy. What were Pat's intentions in the story? What results from Pat's actions, and what does this reveal about his character? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)