|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for the script to be finished in "Teamed with Genius"?
2. What will happen to Pat's gift if the condition is not met in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
3. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Pat's son reveal to him about his uncle?
4. What does Pat say in the fake note he writes in "Teamed with Genius"?
5. What does Pat use to hit someone at lunch in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how does Pat get a loan from Jeff?
2. How does "Boil Some Water--Lots of It" touch on the theme of respect?
3. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
4. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how does Pat try to fix the situation regarding the man trying to sit at the Big Table?
5. In "Teamed With Genius," why does Pat refuse to be left out in writing the script?
6. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how does Pat get the ending to the story from Woll?
7. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
8. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
9. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
10. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how is Pat pushed to the back burner, even when he is dressed like Orson Welles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that plays out throughout The Pat Hobby Stories is unluckiness, and it is a prominent theme in "A Man in the Way." How is the theme of unluckiness reflected in the story? How is Pat affected by the theme of unluckiness? Cite two specific examples of how Pat is affected by the theme of unluckiness. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
A common theme in The Pat Hobby Stories is irony, and that is no different in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit." How is Pat's reaction in the story ironic? How does Pat's reaction reflect his personality? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "A Patriotic Short," Pat reminisces about the past. How do themes of the past present themselves in the story? Name two specific examples of how the themes of the past present themselves in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)