|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the couple in "The Homes of the Stars" first ask Pat?
2. Whom does Pat see walking up the front steps at the end of "The Homes of the Stars"?
3. What are the conditions of the gift bestowed upon Pat in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. What happens to Pat at the end of "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
5. Where is Pat working at in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how does Pat get a loan from Jeff?
2. What does "A Man in the Way" show about Pat?
3. How does Pat mess up the opportunity he is given in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
4. How does Pat feel about the change in movies in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
5. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
6. How does "Boil Some Water--Lots of It" touch on the theme of respect?
7. In "The Homes of the Stars," what kind of scam does Pat run?
8. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how is Pat's behavior different from his previous actions in other stories?
9. What is the biggest example of Pat's unluckiness in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
10. How does Pat try to impress his son in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is a theme that runs throughout "Pat Hobby's Secret" in the form of some of the characters' actions and the situations in which they find themselves. How is the theme of irony reflected in this story? Cite at least two specific examples of how irony is reflected in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Pat used to be an important person at the studio. He was successful and popular, but that has changed. How has Pat's career transformed throughout the years? What is his role as a writer now, and how does his current role affect his judgment? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Humor is a prominent aspect of The Pat Hobby Stories, and this is especially true in "Pat Hobby's Secret." How is the theme of humor reflected in the story? Cite three examples of how humor is reflected in the story and why each instance is humorous. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)