|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the visitors from in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
2. Whom does Pat hit at lunch in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
3. Who refuses Pat's admittance into a place in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
4. What tone is set by the events at the end of "A Man in the Way"?
5. Where does Pat find the writer in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how does Pat try to fix the situation regarding the man trying to sit at the Big Table?
2. How does Pat feel about the change in movies in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
3. What is the biggest example of Pat's unluckiness in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. In "Pat Hobby's Preview," what has caused Pat to lose respect since movies have changed?
5. What is revealed about the man who tries to sit at the Big Table in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
6. How does Pat show his darker side in "A Man in the Way"?
7. How does Pat react to Rene Wilcox in "Teamed With Genius"?
8. In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," what does being asked to sit for an artist cause Pat to feel?
9. Describe what faults Pat finds in the actress, call boy, and director in "No Harm Trying."
10. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how does Pat get the ending to the story from Woll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Teamed With Genius," Pat's personality is reflected prominently in the story. Describe Pat's personality. How do Pat's actions reflect his personality in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "A Man in the Way," Pat shows his darker side. Describe the transformation of Pat's character throughout the story. What instigates his transformation? Does Pat's transformation aid or deter him? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," Pat finds out a secret and attempts blackmail in order to get a better job. Describe the situation in which Pat tries to blackmail someone. How is the theme of desperation reflected in this story? Cite a few examples of how the theme of desperation is reflected in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)