|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Homes of the Stars," how much does Pat agree to get paid?
2. What does Pat go to the writer's building to look for in "A Man in the Way"?
3. What are the conditions of the gift bestowed upon Pat in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," from whom does Pat ask to borrow money?
5. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Berners ask Pat to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," who is Pat's son? Describe his origins.
2. What is revealed about the man who tries to sit at the Big Table in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
3. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
4. Describe the character of Pat in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish."
5. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
6. In "The Homes of the Stars," what happens when Pat leads a couple into the house that he pretends is Shirley Temple's?
7. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
8. How does Pat feel about the change in movies in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
9. How is Pat's lie revealed in "A Man in the Way"?
10. How does Pat try to impress his son in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Pat Hobby's Preview," Pat meets an attractive young woman, and he asks her out. How is the theme of romance reflected in the story? How is Pat's romance tested in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," Pat experiences different feelings because of Orson Welles. Whom does Pat blame for his problems, and why? How is Pat responsible for his own problems? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "A Man in the Way," Pat shows his darker side. Describe the transformation of Pat's character throughout the story. What instigates his transformation? Does Pat's transformation aid or deter him? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)