|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Man in the Way," what is the young woman's idea for a script?
2. What does the young woman do at the end of "A Man in the Way"?
3. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," what does Pat notice at lunch?
4. What is true about the playwright in "Teamed with Genius"?
5. Whom does Pat run into on his way to show Berners the script in "Teamed with Genius"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pat show his darker side in "A Man in the Way"?
2. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
3. What hints are given in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" that indicate Pat's alcohol problem?
4. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
5. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
6. How is Pat's lie revealed in "A Man in the Way"?
7. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
8. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how is Pat pushed to the back burner, even when he is dressed like Orson Welles?
9. How does Pat mess up the opportunity he is given in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
10. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," what shows Pat's desperation, and why is he desperate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Pat Hobby's Preview," Pat meets an attractive young woman, and he asks her out. How is the theme of romance reflected in the story? How is Pat's romance tested in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "No Harm Trying," the story is built up in such a way that one thinks they will know the ending, but it ends up being a surprise. However, it reflects many themes from the collection of stories. What happens in the conclusion? What themes are reflected in the conclusion, and how are they reflected? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," Pat shows another side of himself when he tries to uphold the protocol of the commissary. How is the theme of respect reflected in this story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)