|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pat find the writer in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
2. What is the result of Pat's actions in Berners' office in "A Man in the Way"?
3. What happens to Pat's gift in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. In "Teamed with Genius," whom will Pat help write the screenplay?
5. How long does it take for the script to be finished in "Teamed with Genius"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
2. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
3. In "Teamed With Genius," why does Pat refuse to be left out in writing the script?
4. How does "Boil Some Water--Lots of It" touch on the theme of respect?
5. How is Pat's lie revealed in "A Man in the Way"?
6. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how does Pat try to fix the situation regarding the man trying to sit at the Big Table?
7. How does Pat stoop to a new low in "Teamed With Genius"?
8. How does Pat try to impress his son in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
9. What hints are given in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" that indicate Pat's alcohol problem?
10. How does Pat show his darker side in "A Man in the Way"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in The Pat Hobby Stories is irony, and that is no different in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit." How is Pat's reaction in the story ironic? How does Pat's reaction reflect his personality? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Irony is a theme that runs throughout "Pat Hobby's Secret" in the form of some of the characters' actions and the situations in which they find themselves. How is the theme of irony reflected in this story? Cite at least two specific examples of how irony is reflected in the story. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Humor is a prominent aspect of The Pat Hobby Stories, and this is especially true in "Pat Hobby's Secret." How is the theme of humor reflected in the story? Cite three examples of how humor is reflected in the story and why each instance is humorous. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)