|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat try to convince the executive to do in "A Man in the Way"?
2. What happens to Pat at the end of "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
3. What is true about the playwright in "Teamed with Genius"?
4. Who finishes the script in "Teamed with Genius"?
5. What does Pat tell the couple that his profession is in "The Homes of the Stars"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
2. How does Pat stoop to a new low in "Teamed With Genius"?
3. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
4. In "The Homes of the Stars," what kind of scam does Pat run?
5. How does Pat mess up the opportunity he is given in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
6. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Pat's son offer him and on what condition?
7. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
8. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how is Pat's behavior different from his previous actions in other stories?
9. How does "Boil Some Water--Lots of It" touch on the theme of respect?
10. What happens when Pat directs the chauffeur to Shirley Temple's house in "The Homes of the Stars"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in The Pat Hobby Stories is irony, and that is no different in "Pat Hobby Does His Bit." How is Pat's reaction in the story ironic? How does Pat's reaction reflect his personality? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "A Man in the Way," Pat shows his darker side. Describe the transformation of Pat's character throughout the story. What instigates his transformation? Does Pat's transformation aid or deter him? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that plays out throughout The Pat Hobby Stories is unluckiness, and it is a prominent theme in "A Man in the Way." How is the theme of unluckiness reflected in the story? How is Pat affected by the theme of unluckiness? Cite two specific examples of how Pat is affected by the theme of unluckiness. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)