|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gooddorf refuse to bend to Pat's demands in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
2. What executive does Pat go see in the beginning of "A Man in the Way"?
3. How is the condition for Pat's gift broken in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. Who does Pat recruit to steal the script in "Teamed with Genius"?
5. What tone is set by the events at the end of "A Man in the Way"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the man who tries to sit at the Big Table in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
2. What happens when Pat steals the hat in "On the Trail of Pat Hobby"?
3. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," who is Pat's son? Describe his origins.
4. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," what shows Pat's desperation, and why is he desperate?
5. In "Pat Hobby Does His Bit," how does Pat get himself into trouble?
6. In "No Harm Trying," why does Pat's idea fail?
7. Why does Wainwright give Pat the tickets?
8. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how does Pat get a loan from Jeff?
9. Describe the character of Pat in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish."
10. Why does Pat end up begging for tickets to the preview in "Pat Hobby's Preview," and why is this significant?
Essay Topic 1
In "No Harm Trying," the story is built up in such a way that one thinks they will know the ending, but it ends up being a surprise. However, it reflects many themes from the collection of stories. What happens in the conclusion? What themes are reflected in the conclusion, and how are they reflected? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Humor is a prominent aspect of The Pat Hobby Stories, and this is especially true in "Pat Hobby's Secret." How is the theme of humor reflected in the story? Cite three examples of how humor is reflected in the story and why each instance is humorous. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that plays out throughout The Pat Hobby Stories is unluckiness, and it is a prominent theme in "A Man in the Way." How is the theme of unluckiness reflected in the story? How is Pat affected by the theme of unluckiness? Cite two specific examples of how Pat is affected by the theme of unluckiness. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)