|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," from whom does Pat ask to borrow money?
2. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," what is the Big Table?
3. How does the young woman's actions at the end of "A Man in the Way" affect Pat?
4. Whom does Pat blame for his problems in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
5. What executive does Pat go see in the beginning of "A Man in the Way"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pat's lie revealed in "A Man in the Way"?
2. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," what shows Pat's desperation, and why is he desperate?
3. How does Pat react to Rene Wilcox in "Teamed With Genius"?
4. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Pat's son offer him and on what condition?
5. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
6. How is Pat's lack of influence in Hollywood displayed in "The Homes of the Stars"?
7. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how does Pat try to fix the situation regarding the man trying to sit at the Big Table?
8. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," who is Pat's son? Describe his origins.
9. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
10. How does "Boil Some Water--Lots of It" touch on the theme of respect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "No Harm Trying," the story is built up in such a way that one thinks they will know the ending, but it ends up being a surprise. However, it reflects many themes from the collection of stories. What happens in the conclusion? What themes are reflected in the conclusion, and how are they reflected? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Pat Hobby's Preview," Pat meets an attractive young woman, and he asks her out. How is the theme of romance reflected in the story? How is Pat's romance tested in the story? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," the theme of humiliation runs throughout the story. How is the theme of humiliation reflected in the story? How does the theme of humiliation affect Pat? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)