|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," Pat is chatting with a guy from the ______________.
2. How does Pat explain his current unemployment in "The Homes of the Stars"?
3. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," who threatens Pat at the inquest?
4. How much money is Pat going to get from Banizon in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
5. How does Pat react to what he sees at lunch in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how is the story a little more optimistic than the previous stories in the collection?
2. How does Pat show his darker side in "A Man in the Way"?
3. What is the biggest example of Pat's unluckiness in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
4. In "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles," how is Pat pushed to the back burner, even when he is dressed like Orson Welles?
5. In "Pat Hobby, Putative Father," what does Pat's son offer him and on what condition?
6. In "Teamed With Genius," what does everyone else predict about Pat, and how do they anticipate his actions?
7. In "Teamed With Genius," why does Pat refuse to be left out in writing the script?
8. In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," how does Pat's desperation show through?
9. In "A Man in the Way," how does Berners react to finding out the truth about Pat?
10. Who does Pat blame for his problem, and who should he be blaming in "Pat Hobby and Orson Welles"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pat used to be an important person at the studio. He was successful and popular, but that has changed. How has Pat's career transformed throughout the years? What is his role as a writer now, and how does his current role affect his judgment? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "Fun in an Artist's Studio," the theme of humiliation runs throughout the story. How is the theme of humiliation reflected in the story? How does the theme of humiliation affect Pat? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that plays out throughout The Pat Hobby Stories is unluckiness, and it is a prominent theme in "A Man in the Way." How is the theme of unluckiness reflected in the story? How is Pat affected by the theme of unluckiness? Cite two specific examples of how Pat is affected by the theme of unluckiness. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)