|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has finally arrived to Pat's office in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
2. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," what was the person that Pat hit actually doing?
3. Whom does Pat convince to go to lunch with him in "Boil Some Water--Lots of It"?
4. In "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish," Pat is chatting with a guy from the ______________.
5. What is the name of the secretary in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Homes of the Stars," what kind of scam does Pat run?
2. In "The Homes of the Stars," what happens when Pat leads a couple into the house that he pretends is Shirley Temple's?
3. In "Teamed With Genius," what does everyone else predict about Pat, and how do they anticipate his actions?
4. In "Boil Some Water--Lots of It," how is Pat's behavior different from his previous actions in other stories?
5. What does "A Man in the Way" show about Pat?
6. How does Woll die in "Pat Hobby's Secret"?
7. How does Pat react to Rene Wilcox in "Teamed With Genius"?
8. Describe the character of Pat in "Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish."
9. How does Pat try to impress his son in "Pat Hobby, Putative Father"?
10. In "Pat Hobby's Secret," how does Pat get the ending to the story from Woll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pat used to be an important person at the studio. He was successful and popular, but that has changed. How has Pat's career transformed throughout the years? What is his role as a writer now, and how does his current role affect his judgment? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Pat Hobby's Christmas Wish" carries a theme of kinship between two people who feel similarly unsympathetic feelings toward Gooddorf for different reasons. How do Pat and Helen bond? What are their feelings about Gooddorf, and how does this create a connection between the two of them? Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
Essay Topic 3
In "A Patriotic Short," Pat reminisces about the things he used to have as a successful writer and the status symbols that were associated with his success. How are status symbols reflected in the story? Name some status symbols in the story and their importance. Remember to answer each question with support from the story.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)