|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the sixth room of the Queen´s house?
2. Where is Henri at the start of Chapter 4?
3. In the days after the murder, what do Villanelle and Henri do?
4. What does the vivandiere tell Henri the Russians hide under?
5. What do Villanelle´s parents want Henri to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
2. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
3. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
4. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
5. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
6. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
7. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
8. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
9. When Villanelle's husband catches up with her, what do they do to settle the score? What happens to Villanelle?
10. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passion is a key theme throughout the novel. Write an essay about passion, using at least three different ways that passion comes across in the novel. Also, be sure that your examples encompass at least 4 characters/elements of passion.
Essay Topic 2
The old homeless woman that Villanelle talks to in Venice is a key figure in the novel. Write an essay on what role her character plays and her affect on the other characters in the novel. Make sure to use at least 2 examples on your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Henri contemplates snowflakes often in the novel. Write an essay about the symbolic importance of snowflakes in The Passion and why Henri mentions them throughout the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples of Henri talking about snowflakes.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)