|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation does Villanelle consider Henri?
2. What island is Napoleon sent to?
3. Which of these voices does NOT haunt Henri?
4. Why does Henri confess to the murder?
5. What word does Domino write in the snow when Henri asks him to desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
2. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
3. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
4. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
5. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
6. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
7. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
8. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
9. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
10. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
Essay Topic 2
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)