|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the sixth room of the Queen´s house?
2. When Henri and Villanelle go to the casino, what does Villanelle say is upstairs?
3. Why does Henri confess to the murder?
4. What does the Jewish man want to exchange with the woman he meets on the street?
5. After Henri kills Villanelle´s husband, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
2. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
3. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
4. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
6. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
7. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
8. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
9. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
10. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)