|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Domino give Henri when Henri asks him to desert?
2. What does the Queen of Spades like to cook for Villanelle?
3. What does Patrick say goes well with spirits when Henri asks him to desert?
4. In what year does Henri first see Venice?
5. When Henri wakes in Venice, what do Villanelle´s parents say he should do to blend in?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
2. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
3. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
4. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
5. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
6. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
7. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
8. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
9. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
10. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
Essay Topic 2
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)