|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patrick and the vivandiere eating when Henri comes to steal food for his departure?
2. How many years does Villanelle say Henri served in the war?
3. What island is Napoleon sent to?
4. What quest has the Queen´s husband gone on in Chapter 4?
5. What is the last line of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
2. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
3. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
5. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
6. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
7. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
8. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
9. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
10. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is an extremely important element in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of money in the novel and how it affects the relationships between characters. Be sure to include at least 3 examples of the importance of money during interactions between characters.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)