|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henri wakes in Venice, what do Villanelle´s parents say he should do to blend in?
2. How long does Villanelle travel with her husband before she leaves him?
3. What sound is Villanelle supposed to make to warn Henri of danger while he is in the Queen´s house?
4. How does Villanelle lose to her husband when he finds her?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who does Henri say he hears in his room every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
2. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
3. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
4. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
5. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
6. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
7. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
8. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
9. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
10. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rituals are an important part of life for the characters in the novel. Write an essay about rituals and legends in The Passion and their function in the novel's plot. Be specific; be sure to include at least two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Money is an extremely important element in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of money in the novel and how it affects the relationships between characters. Be sure to include at least 3 examples of the importance of money during interactions between characters.
Essay Topic 3
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)