|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What project does Henri begin to take up towards the end of the novel?
2. When Villanelle sees the Queen on her balcony, how many years has it been since she last saw her?
3. Where is Henri at the start of Chapter 4?
4. How do Villanelle and Henri escape the scene of the crime without oars?
5. Who does Henri know Villanelle´s husband as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
2. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
3. When Villanelle's husband catches up with her, what do they do to settle the score? What happens to Villanelle?
4. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
5. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
6. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
7. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
8. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
9. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
10. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)