|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take for the authorities to catch up with Henri and Villanelle?
2. What flowers does Henri say his mother used to dry on their roof?
3. What project does Henri begin to take up towards the end of the novel?
4. Why does Henri say he followed Napoleon so wholeheartedly?
5. Why won´t the prosecuting attorney be bribed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
2. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
3. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
4. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
5. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
6. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
7. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
8. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
9. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
10. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Passion is a key theme throughout the novel. Write an essay about passion, using at least three different ways that passion comes across in the novel. Also, be sure that your examples encompass at least 4 characters/elements of passion.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)