|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Villanelle´s parents want Henri to do?
2. Why does Henri have a private room?
3. What does Henri find out that Villanelle cannot do while they are in Venice?
4. What do Villanelle, Henri, and Patrick pose as while they are deserting?
5. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
2. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
3. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
4. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
5. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
6. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
7. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
9. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
10. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)