|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Villanelle spend with the Queen of Spades in Chapter 3?
2. What project does Henri begin to take up towards the end of the novel?
3. What is Villanelle´s reaction when Henri kills her husband?
4. What quest has the Queen´s husband gone on in Chapter 4?
5. Where is Henri´s company marching in the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
2. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
3. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
4. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
5. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
6. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
7. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
8. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
9. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
10. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Winterson uses nature and the earth's elements often in the novel. Choose 3 elements prevalent in the novel and write an essay on their usage and importance to the story.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)