|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Villanelle´s parents want Henri to do?
2. What does Villanelle teach Henri to do while they are in Venice?
3. How many days does Villanelle spend with the Queen of Spades in Chapter 3?
4. What do Villanelle and Henri pose as while they are travelling together?
5. How is Domino injured in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
2. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
3. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
4. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
5. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
6. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
7. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
8. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
9. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winterson uses nature and the earth's elements often in the novel. Choose 3 elements prevalent in the novel and write an essay on their usage and importance to the story.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
Henri contemplates snowflakes often in the novel. Write an essay about the symbolic importance of snowflakes in The Passion and why Henri mentions them throughout the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples of Henri talking about snowflakes.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)