|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henri wounded?
2. What is in the sixth room of the Queen´s house?
3. Which of these voices does NOT haunt Henri?
4. What does Henri say the peasants do for the czar as Napoleon´s army comes?
5. What quest has the Queen´s husband gone on in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
2. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
3. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
4. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
5. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
6. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
7. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
8. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
9. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
10. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
Essay Topic 3
Winterson uses nature and the earth's elements often in the novel. Choose 3 elements prevalent in the novel and write an essay on their usage and importance to the story.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)