|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quest has the Queen´s husband gone on in Chapter 4?
2. What slips into the canal when Villanelle sees the Queen on her balcony?
3. Who is set to inherit the cook´s money if Villanelle cannot?
4. After Henri kills Villanelle´s husband, what does he do?
5. Where is Henri at the start of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
2. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
4. When Villanelle's husband catches up with her, what do they do to settle the score? What happens to Villanelle?
5. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
6. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
7. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
8. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
9. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
10. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)