|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 3, what is the name of the Jewish man that Villanelle tells the story about?
2. What does the Jewish man want to exchange with the woman he meets on the street?
3. What does Henri kill Villanelle´s husband with?
4. Who does Henri know Villanelle´s husband as?
5. What do Villanelle, Henri, and Patrick pose as while they are deserting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
2. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
3. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
4. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
5. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
6. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
7. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
9. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
10. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)