|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henri goes out on his own in Venice, how long is he lost for?
2. When Henri wakes in Venice, what do Villanelle´s parents say he should do to blend in?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Henri say happens to Patrick?
4. How does Villanelle wear her hair when she is on the canal?
5. How has the Queen changed since Villanelle last saw her.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
3. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
4. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
5. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
6. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
7. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
8. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
9. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
10. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The old homeless woman that Villanelle talks to in Venice is a key figure in the novel. Write an essay on what role her character plays and her affect on the other characters in the novel. Make sure to use at least 2 examples on your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Henri contemplates snowflakes often in the novel. Write an essay about the symbolic importance of snowflakes in The Passion and why Henri mentions them throughout the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples of Henri talking about snowflakes.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)