|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the vivandiere say she was able to get the food she and Patrick are eating?
2. How does Villanelle lose to her husband when he finds her?
3. What does Patrick talk about while he is sick?
4. Which of these voices does NOT haunt Henri?
5. In the days after the murder, what do Villanelle and Henri do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
2. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
3. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
4. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
5. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
6. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
8. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
9. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
10. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henri contemplates snowflakes often in the novel. Write an essay about the symbolic importance of snowflakes in The Passion and why Henri mentions them throughout the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples of Henri talking about snowflakes.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
Insanity vs. reality is an important theme in The Passion. Using at least 2 characters, write an essay about the theme of insanity vs. reality in the novel.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)