|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Henri first see Venice?
2. What sound is Villanelle supposed to make to warn Henri of danger while he is in the Queen´s house?
3. Finish this sentence from Chapter 3: ¨This is a city of ________.¨
4. What is Villanelle´s reaction when Henri kills her husband?
5. Why does Henri say he followed Napoleon so wholeheartedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
2. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
3. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
4. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
5. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
6. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
7. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
8. What does Henri find in the sixth room of the Queen's house? How complete is it? What is important about this?
9. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Rituals are an important part of life for the characters in the novel. Write an essay about rituals and legends in The Passion and their function in the novel's plot. Be specific; be sure to include at least two examples.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)