|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patrick´s response when Henri asks him to desert with him?
2. What is in the sixth room of the Queen´s house?
3. How do Villanelle and Henri escape the scene of the crime without oars?
4. How many languages does Villanelle learn how to speak in the years after she runs away from her husband?
5. What do Villanelle´s parents serve them when Henri and Villanelle reach Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
3. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
4. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
5. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
6. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
7. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
8. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
9. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
10. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)