|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these voices does NOT haunt Henri?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Henri say happens to Patrick?
3. How many days is Villanelle gone for questioning?
4. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney in Henri´s case?
5. What does Villanelle´s husband do after she loses to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
2. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
3. What is the only time that Henri sees Villanelle's feet? What is Henri's reaction to her feet?
4. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
5. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
6. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
7. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
8. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
9. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
Essay Topic 2
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)