|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Patrick´s response when Henri asks him to desert with him?
2. When Villanelle sees the Queen on her balcony, how many years has it been since she last saw her?
3. What is the last line of the book?
4. What relation does Villanelle consider Henri?
5. What project does Henri begin to take up towards the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
3. How does Villanelle know the cook? What connection does Henri finally make between him, Villanelle, and her fluency in French?
4. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
5. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
6. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
7. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
8. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
9. When Henri thinks about taking Villanelle to France to live with him, what does he say he would always be afraid of? Why would he be afraid of this?
10. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)