|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slips into the canal when Villanelle sees the Queen on her balcony?
2. What smell does Henri say that Bonaparte leaves behind?
3. What does Henri say is worse than watching his comrades die?
4. What is the name of the institution that Henri is sent to?
5. Finish this sentence from Chapter 3: ¨Not all men are as fortunate as _________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Napoleon´s army more demoralized as they reach Moscow? What happens to Henri at this point?
2. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
3. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
4. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
5. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
6. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
7. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
8. How long does Villanelle say she knew the Queen of Spades? How many nights did they have together?
9. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
10. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)