|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Villanelle say that God wants us to do?
2. What does Patrick steal for him and Henri to enjoy?
3. How does Henri feel about Josephine looking at him?
4. Finish this sentence: ¨St Paul said it is better to marry than to ______.¨
5. Where does Patrick take Henri on New Year´s Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
2. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
3. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
4. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
5. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
6. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
7. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
8. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
9. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
10. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)