|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition is the cook in when Napoleon first comes to their camp?
2. Why does Villanelle dress like a boy when she works at the casino?
3. Why do many of the soldiers get sores in the winter?
4. Villanelle says that passion is somewhere between fear and what?
5. What kind of champagne does the Queen of Spades order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
2. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
3. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
4. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
5. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
6. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
7. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
8. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
9. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
10. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
Essay Topic 2
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)