|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Villanelle put on her lips when she works?
2. What kind of champagne does the Queen of Spades order?
3. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
4. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
5. How many hands high was Napoleon's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
2. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
3. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
4. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
5. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
6. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
7. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
8. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
9. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
10. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Passion is a key theme throughout the novel. Write an essay about passion, using at least three different ways that passion comes across in the novel. Also, be sure that your examples encompass at least 4 characters/elements of passion.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)