|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Josephine sitting with when Henri serves her melon?
2. What is a vivandiere?
3. Why does Napoleon send Henri back to Boulogne?
4. What does the cook serve Napoleon´s chicken in?
5. Finish this sentence: "He kept small servants and _________."
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
2. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
3. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
4. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
5. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
6. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
7. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
8. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
9. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
10. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)