|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
2. What does Henri think about when he is in the brothel?
3. Why doesn´t Villanelle want to work in the bakery?
4. What is the Queen of Spades´ reaction to Villanelle´s revelation as she leaves?
5. How does Henri feel about Josephine looking at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
2. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
3. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
4. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
5. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
6. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
7. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
8. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
9. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
10. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
War is the main conflict in the novel, and it brings the two narrators together. What purpose does the war serve in the novel? Write an essay about war in The Passion and its effect on at least 3 characters.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)