|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary?
2. How does Henri feel about Josephine looking at him?
3. What mistake does Villanelle´s mother make when she goes to make her offering?
4. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
5. What job does Henri originally want when he joins the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
2. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
3. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary? Why does he think this?
4. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
5. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
6. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
7. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
8. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
9. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
10. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 2
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)