|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Villanelle to refuse the rich man who proposes to her?
2. What sign does Henri say Napoleon was born under?
3. What does Villanelle put on her lips when she works?
4. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
5. Why do many of the soldiers get sores in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
2. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
3. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
4. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
5. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
6. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
7. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
8. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
9. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
10. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
One theme in The Passion is the theory of past and future, as represented in the character of Domino. Write an essay on the theme of past and future and how Domino´s philosophy is shown in the novel, citing at least 3 examples.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)