|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henri say he is going to kill when Louise asks him?
2. What is the fog that descends over Venice called?
3. Why doesn´t Villanelle want to work in the bakery?
4. How does Villanelle calm herself?
5. Why does Napoleon send Henri back to Boulogne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
2. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
3. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
4. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
5. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
6. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
7. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
8. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
9. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
10. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
Essay Topic 1
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Passion is a key theme throughout the novel. Write an essay about passion, using at least three different ways that passion comes across in the novel. Also, be sure that your examples encompass at least 4 characters/elements of passion.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, Villanelle tells a story about two men who bet their lives against each other. Write an essay on the theme of "The stakes of life" in the novel, using Villanelle's story as a background to your argument. Make sure you use at least 2 examples that mirror Villanelle's story.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)