|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do many of the soldiers get sores in the winter?
2. What does the narrator say Napoleon has a passion for?
3. What special talent does Patrick possess?
4. Why does Villanelle dress like a boy when she works at the casino?
5. What does Villanelle put on her lips when she works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
2. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
3. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
4. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
5. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
6. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
7. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
8. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
9. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
10. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
Essay Topic 2
Rituals are an important part of life for the characters in the novel. Write an essay about rituals and legends in The Passion and their function in the novel's plot. Be specific; be sure to include at least two examples.
Essay Topic 3
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)