|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hands high was Napoleon's horse?
2. What does Patrick steal for him and Henri to enjoy?
3. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
4. When Henri returns to Napoleon after his leave, why are the Bonapartes spending so much money?
5. How old was Henry´s mother when she ran away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
2. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
3. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
4. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
5. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
6. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
7. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
8. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
9. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
10. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rituals are an important part of life for the characters in the novel. Write an essay about rituals and legends in The Passion and their function in the novel's plot. Be specific; be sure to include at least two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)