|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henri returns to Napoleon after his leave, why are the Bonapartes spending so much money?
2. How does Patrick feel about working for the French?
3. What does Henri´s mother give him as he leaves to go to war?
4. On New Year´s Eve, what burns Henri´s tongue?
5. How many hands high was Napoleon's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
2. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
3. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
4. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
5. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
6. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
7. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
8. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
9. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
10. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)