|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On New Year´s Eve, what burns Henri´s tongue?
2. At the end of their second date, what does Villanelle do as she leaves?
3. How much does the cook weigh?
4. What test does the recruiting officer give Henri to determine his position in the army?
5. What does the cook use to surround the chicken he serves Napoleon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
2. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary? Why does he think this?
3. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
4. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
5. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
6. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
7. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
8. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
9. When Henri goes to steal food before he leaves, who does he find in the kitchen? What are they eating?
10. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)