|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
2. What is Henri´s mother´s name?
3. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table?
4. What is the nationality of the owner of the brothel Henri goes to?
5. What sign does Henri say Napoleon was born under?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
2. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
3. When Villanelle visits the Queen in Chapter 4, what does she realize about their relationship? What is she afraid of while she visits? What does she do to protect herself?
4. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
5. When Villanelle's husband catches up with her, what do they do to settle the score? What happens to Villanelle?
6. When Henri and Villanelle reach Venice, who do they stay with? How is Henri received?
7. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
8. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
9. What are the terms of Villanelle's husband's will? How does this influence Henri's decision to confess?
10. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
Essay Topic 1
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In The Passion, religion plays an important part of the lives of many of the characters. Also, Winterson uses religious terminology and diction often in the novel. Write an essay on the influence of religion on the characters of the novel and the novel itself. What does religion bring to The Passion?
Essay Topic 3
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)