|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
2. What is the height limit for Napoleons' servants?
3. How old was Henry´s mother when she ran away from home?
4. What does Villanelle say that God wants us to do?
5. Finish this sentence: "Christ lost consciousness at ______."
Short Essay Questions
1. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
2. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
3. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
4. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
5. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
6. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
7. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
8. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
9. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
10. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Darkness is an important theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the nature of darkness and its effects on the characters in the novel. Make sure to use specific examples in your argument.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)