|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the cook weigh?
2. What special talent does Patrick possess?
3. What is the fog that descends over Venice called?
4. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
5. Why is Henri unable to secure his first choice of job in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
2. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
3. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
4. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
5. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
6. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
7. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
8. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
9. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
10. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexual roles an important part in the interaction between the characters of The Passion. Using at least 3 characters, write an essay on the theme of how sexual roles are represented in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Insanity vs. reality is an important theme in The Passion. Using at least 2 characters, write an essay about the theme of insanity vs. reality in the novel.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)