|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was 'The Passion' written?
2. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
3. What did Henri´s mother want to be when she was young?
4. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
5. What does Henri contemplate about snowflakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
2. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
3. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
4. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
5. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
6. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
7. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
8. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
9. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
10. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Winterson uses nature and the earth's elements often in the novel. Choose 3 elements prevalent in the novel and write an essay on their usage and importance to the story.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)