|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said about boatsmen´s feet if their trade is hereditary?
2. Finish this sentence about Napoleon: ¨He is repulsive and _______ by turns.¨
3. What is a vivandiere?
4. What does the cook use to surround the chicken he serves Napoleon?
5. What did Henri´s mother want to be when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
2. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
3. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
4. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
5. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
6. What happened to Villanelle´s mother when she was pregnant with Villanelle? What does she believe was the result of this?
7. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
8. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
9. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
10. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Napoleon is a central figure in the novel. Write an essay on Napoleon´s character, and what he represents to both the characters in the novel and the novel as a whole. Be specific and be sure to use at least three examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The old homeless woman that Villanelle talks to in Venice is a key figure in the novel. Write an essay on what role her character plays and her affect on the other characters in the novel. Make sure to use at least 2 examples on your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Canals and transportation are important themes in The Passion. Write an essay on the role of Canals in the novel and how transportation is presented through the characters. Include at least 3 examples in your argument.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)