|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day to the Venetians hold funerals?
2. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her webbed feet?
3. How does David flatter Napoleon?
4. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
5. Villanelle says that passion is somewhere between fear and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
2. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
3. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
4. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
5. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
6. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary? Why does he think this?
7. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
8. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
9. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
10. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, a key figure is the Queen of Spades. Write an essay on the role of the Queen in the novel, paying special attention to her impact on both Villanelle and Henri in turn. Be sure to use at least 3 examples in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Rituals are an important part of life for the characters in the novel. Write an essay about rituals and legends in The Passion and their function in the novel's plot. Be specific; be sure to include at least two examples.
Essay Topic 3
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)