|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their second date, what does the Queen of Spades ask Villanelle to do?
2. When was 'The Passion' written?
3. Who is the author of 'The Passion'?
4. What does the homeless woman in Chapter 2 tell Villanelle to beware of?
5. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
2. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
3. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
4. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
5. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
6. What does Villanelle call Venice? If one gets lost, what does Villanelle say will not save you?
7. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
8. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
9. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
10. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Disability is a common theme amongst the characters in The Passion. Write an essay about the theme of disability in the novel, using at least 3 characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)