|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this line from Chapter 2: ¨Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of ______."
2. When Villanelle leaves the Queen of Spades´house after their first date, what does she do?
3. Who does Henri say he is going to kill when Louise asks him?
4. What is the quote that opens 'The Passion' taken from?
5. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
2. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
3. What does Henri do after he kills Villanelle's husband? What is Villanelle's reaction?
4. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
5. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
6. What is the name of the institution that Henri stays in? Why is he moved to a different room?
7. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
8. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
9. What happens to Patrick while he, Henri, and Villanelle are traveling? What does he talk about?
10. What does Villanelle tell Henri he must find in the Queen's house? How does Villanelle convince Henri to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henri contemplates snowflakes often in the novel. Write an essay about the symbolic importance of snowflakes in The Passion and why Henri mentions them throughout the novel. Be sure to use at least three examples of Henri talking about snowflakes.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
Essay Topic 3
Patrick is an important character in the novel. His influence on both Henri and Villanelle is key to their interaction. Write on essay on the character of Patrick and his role in the novel, with special emphasis on the impact he has on the other characters.
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)