|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henri leaves his hometown, where is his regiment going?
2. Why does Napoleon send Henri back to Boulogne?
3. How old was Henry´s mother when she ran away from home?
4. When Villanelle is sitting at the restaurant on her day off, what does the waiter bring her?
5. When was 'The Passion' written?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
2. What do the Russian peasants call the czar? What do they do as the Napoleonic army arrives?
3. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
4. In Part 1, what does Henri say the Blind peddler tells him about the Dark? What happens to this peddler?
5. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
6. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
7. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
8. When Villanelle tries to break Henri out of the asylum, what is his reaction? Why does he react this way?
9. How long are Villanelle and her husband together before she leaves him? What does she do in order to sneak away?
10. When Henri asks Domino to desert with him, what does Domino write? What does Domino give Henri as he leaves?
Essay Topic 1
In The Passion, sexuality is a key theme. Write an essay on the role of sexuality and gender in the novel, and its effect on the characters. Be sure to use at least three characters in your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the two narrators is a central theme in The Passion. Write an essay about the relationship between Villanelle and Henri from both sides, as Winterson does. How is their love impossible?
Essay Topic 3
Insanity vs. reality is an important theme in The Passion. Using at least 2 characters, write an essay about the theme of insanity vs. reality in the novel.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)