|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Villanelle happy she is unable to collect before she leaves in Chapter 3?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her wits.
(c) Her cards.
(d) Her heart.
2. What does Villanelle teach Henri to do while they are in Venice?
(b) Play cards.
(c) Speak the language.
(d) Use a map.
3. What does Villanelle´s philosopher friend wear as a crown?
(a) Rags tied together.
(b) Flowers tied together.
(c) Feathers woven together.
(d) Rats tied together.
4. What sound is Villanelle supposed to make to warn Henri of danger while he is in the Queen´s house?
(a) A cough.
(b) A seagull cry.
(c) A scream.
(d) A laugh.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, what does Henri say happens to Patrick?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is a gambler.
(c) He tries to commit suicide.
(d) He wants to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades like to cook for Villanelle?
2. Where is Henri at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What flowers does Henri say his mother used to dry on their roof?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who does Henri say he hears in his room every night?
5. What does Villanelle´s mother often exclaim while throwing her palms up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the prosecuting attorney that Villanelle tries to bribe? Why won't he accept her money?
2. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
3. What happens to Henri the first time he ventures out into Venice? How long is he gone?
4. When Henri asks Patrick to desert with him, what does Patrick say? What is Henri´s reaction to the state of his good friend?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
7. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
8. What does Villanelle use her inheritance to buy? What is unusual about this?
9. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
10. When Villanelle's husband catches up with her, what do they do to settle the score? What happens to Villanelle?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)