|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Henri´s friend Patrick from?
2. How old was Henry´s mother when she ran away from home?
3. What does Henri´s mother give him as he leaves to go to war?
(a) A bible.
(b) A knife.
(d) A blessing.
4. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
(a) Holds a bonfire.
(b) Hangs a man.
(c) Sets fire to a house.
(d) Roasts a pig.
5. How long has Henri been gone when he returns home on leave?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this line from Chapter 2: ¨Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of ______."
2. What does the homeless woman in Chapter 2 tell Villanelle to beware of?
3. On New Year´s Eve, what burns Henri´s tongue?
4. What is Henri's first commission?
5. What mistake does Villanelle´s mother make when she goes to make her offering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
2. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
3. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
4. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
5. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
6. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
7. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
8. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
9. What happened to Villanelle´s mother when she was pregnant with Villanelle? What does she believe was the result of this?
10. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)