|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the homeless woman in Chapter 2 tell Villanelle to beware of?
2. Why doesn´t Villanelle want to work in the bakery?
(a) It is a man´s trade.
(b) She can´t bake.
(c) She doesn´t want big arms.
(d) She hates bread.
3. When Villanelle refuses to marry the rich man, what does he do to her?
(a) Hits her and then rapes her.
(b) Starts to cry.
(c) Threatens to kill her.
(d) Walks away.
4. Finish this line from Chapter 2: ¨Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of ______."
(a) Our hatred.
(b) Our worldliness.
(c) Our humaness.
(d) Our happiness.
5. According to legend, what herb do boatsmen´s wives leave in the boat when they make their offerings?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Josephine sitting with when Henri serves her melon?
2. How does Villanelle calm herself?
3. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
4. What does Villanelle put on her lips when she works?
5. Why does Villanelle dress like a boy when she works at the casino?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
2. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
3. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
4. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
5. How many days does it take the authorities to catch up with Villanelle and Henri? What do they do in this time?
6. At the end of the novel, what does Henri see in the boat with Villanelle? What does he wonder about this?
7. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
8. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
9. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
10. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)