|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Patrick do before he was recruited by Napoleon?
(a) He was a priest.
(b) He was a bum.
(c) He was a general.
(d) He was a blacksmith.
2. What does the cook use to surround the chicken he serves Napoleon?
3. Why is Henri unable to secure his first choice of job in the army?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He is not old enough.
(c) He is not tall enough.
(d) His hands are not strong enough.
4. What is the nationality of the owner of the brothel Henri goes to?
5. Why does Villanelle dress like a boy when she works at the casino?
(a) Because she gets paid more as a man.
(b) Because she wants to be a man.
(c) Because only men are allowed to work there.
(d) Because the ambiguity entices the gamblers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Villanelle says that passion is somewhere between fear and what?
2. How long has Henri been gone when he returns home on leave?
3. What does Villanelle do to the cards after the Queen of Spades leaves?
4. When Henri returns to Napoleon after his leave, why are the Bonapartes spending so much money?
5. At what time of day to the Venetians hold funerals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
2. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
3. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
4. What happened to Villanelle´s mother when she was pregnant with Villanelle? What does she believe was the result of this?
5. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
6. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
7. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
8. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
9. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
10. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary? Why does he think this?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)