|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "He kept small servants and _________."
(a) Large horses.
(b) A large ego.
(c) Miniature ponies.
(d) Tall wives.
2. Finish this sentence about Napoleon: ¨He is repulsive and _______ by turns.¨
3. What does the homeless woman in Chapter 2 tell Villanelle to beware of?
4. What does Patrick steal for him and Henri to enjoy?
(b) A chicken.
(c) A bottle of cognac.
(d) A loaf of bread.
5. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
(a) It flies out of her hand.
(b) It turns black.
(c) It breaks.
(d) It is bent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Patrick take Henri on New Year´s Eve?
2. How does Villanelle calm herself?
3. When Henri returns to Napoleon after his leave, why are the Bonapartes spending so much money?
4. What is a vivandiere?
5. Finish this sentence: ¨St Paul said it is better to marry than to ______.¨
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
2. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
3. What special talent does Patrick possess? What job is he given by Bonaparte?
4. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
5. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
6. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
7. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
8. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
9. What does Villanelle tell the old homeless woman who she rows past? What does the woman tell Villanelle to beware?
10. Where does Villanelle work? How does she dress there? Why does she dress this way?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)