|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henri contemplate about snowflakes?
(a) Their delicate nature.
(b) That every snowflake is different.
(c) That they freeze in the sky.
(d) How they are all white.
2. What prompts Villanelle to refuse the rich man who proposes to her?
(a) He asks her to dress like a man.
(b) She thinks of the Queen of Spades.
(c) He tells her that he loves her.
(d) He thinks she is a man.
3. What test does the recruiting officer give Henri to determine his position in the army?
(a) Asks him to pluck a chicken in under 2 minutes.
(b) Asks him to crack a walnut with one hand.
(c) Asks him to hold a pole steady in the palm of his hand.
(d) Asks him the rules of dinner service.
4. Why does Villanelle dress like a boy when she works at the casino?
(a) Because she wants to be a man.
(b) Because the ambiguity entices the gamblers.
(c) Because she gets paid more as a man.
(d) Because only men are allowed to work there.
5. What is the woman who kisses Henri on New Year´s Ever holding?
(a) A cross.
(b) A bottle of wine.
(c) A baby.
(d) A bag of potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Villanelle wearing on her second date with the Queen of Spades?
2. According to legend, what herb do boatsmen´s wives leave in the boat when they make their offerings?
3. Finish this sentence about Napoleon: ¨He is repulsive and _______ by turns.¨
4. How does Henri feel about Josephine looking at him?
5. Where is Henri´s friend Patrick from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Henri originally want? Who prevents him from getting it?
2. After Villanelle´s first date with The Queen of Spades, what does she attempt to do? Who sees her?
3. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
4. What does Bonaparte do to Henri to show his approval when he hears about Henri and the cook? What does he say about Henri's idea?
5. What happened to Villanelle´s mother when she was pregnant with Villanelle? What does she believe was the result of this?
6. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary? Why does he think this?
7. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
8. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
9. What does Henri do to the cook that impresses Bonaparte? Where did he get the idea?
10. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)