|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henri contemplate about snowflakes?
(a) How they are all white.
(b) That every snowflake is different.
(c) Their delicate nature.
(d) That they freeze in the sky.
2. What is Henri´s first job when he joins the army?
(b) Neck wringer.
3. What does Patrick steal for him and Henri to enjoy?
(a) A bottle of cognac.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A loaf of bread.
4. What does the cook serve Napoleon´s chicken in?
(a) A skull.
(b) A silver platter.
(c) A wooden bowl carved especially to fit chicken.
(d) A helmet.
5. What is different about Henri´s friend Domino?
(a) He is Corsican.
(b) He is a midget.
(c) He is unusually tall.
(d) He has only one arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henri´s mother´s name?
2. Why does Villanelle name her lover the Queen of Spades?
3. Finish this sentence: "Christ lost consciousness at ______."
4. How does Villanelle calm herself?
5. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 3, what is Henri´s emotional state? What is Henri´s physical state?
2. Why does Villanelle decide to marry the meat man? What does she say they had in common?
3. When Henri wakes up after 2 days of sleep in Venice, what does he do first? What does he pray will sink into the canal?
4. What game does Villanelle say she entered with the Queen of Spades? What was the wager?
5. What does Patrick say the channels are full of? What danger lies in the channels?
6. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
7. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
8. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 4, who haunts Henri in his room? Why are his hands greasy? What does this person ask Henri?
10. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)