|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henri unable to secure his first choice of job in the army?
(a) He is not tall enough.
(b) He is not old enough.
(c) His hands are not strong enough.
(d) He is too old.
2. What is said about boatsmen´s feet if their trade is hereditary?
(a) They are webbed.
(b) They cannot walk without shoes.
(c) They are black.
(d) They do not have toes.
3. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table?
(a) An earring.
(c) A necklace.
(d) Her address.
4. What did Henri´s mother want to be when she was young?
(a) A man.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A nun.
(d) A priest.
5. What job does Henri originally want when he joins the army?
(b) Flag raiser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Villanelle call Venice in the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. When Villanelle refuses to marry the rich man, what does he do to her?
3. What is the woman who kisses Henri on New Year´s Ever holding?
4. On New Year´s Eve, what burns Henri´s tongue?
5. What is the fog that descends over Venice called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
2. When the little village girl asks Henri who he will kill, what does he reply? How does he clarify this for her?
3. What does Henri serve Josephine when he first meets her? Why is Henri uncomfortable during this encounter?
4. While Henri serves in Court, what does he see Josephine doing? How does this make him feel?
5. What does the waiter bring Villanelle while she is waiting for work? Who does she see soon after?
6. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
7. When the rich meat man asks Villanelle to marry him, what prompts her to refuse? How does he react?
8. What does the Queen of Spades order when Villanelle first meets her? What is Villanelle´s reaction to the Queen of Spades?
9. How tall are Napoleon's servants? Why is this?
10. What makes Henri uncomfortable at church? What does he consider his stigmata?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)