|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a vivandiere?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A type of pastry.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A trumpet player.
2. When Henri leaves his hometown, where is his regiment going?
3. Why do many of the soldiers get sores in the winter?
(a) From the weight of their packs.
(b) From illness.
(c) From the salt and wind.
(d) From marching too much.
4. What is Henri´s mother´s name?
5. What did Patrick do before he was recruited by Napoleon?
(a) He was a general.
(b) He was a priest.
(c) He was a bum.
(d) He was a blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Napoleon do to Henri when he hears the explanation of Henri´s propping-up of the cook?
2. What does Patrick say happened to his boots?
3. What does Villanelle call Venice in the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What does Villanelle put on her lips when she works?
5. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the main character? When do we first hear it?
2. What does the Queen of Spades leave for Villanelle at the gaming table? What is the item made out of?
3. What does Henri say the smell of porridge reminds him of? How did he feel during that time?
4. What is Villanelle´s stepfather´s reaction to her birth defect? How does Villanelle account for her stepfather´s reaction?
5. What is a vivandiere? Why are they sent to the camps?
6. Why did Henri's mother want to run away when she was young? How does Henri say his father won her over?
7. In Henri's story about the man who thought himself an inventor, why did the man go to town for a few months, leaving his family? Who seemed to hold the man together?
8. According to the rumors, what do boatmen have? What are they not able to take off?
9. How many hands tall is Napoleon's horse? Why could no stable boy last?
10. According to legend, what does a boatsmen´s wife do when she is pregnant? What is she supposed to wish for?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)