|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence about Napoleon: ¨He is repulsive and _______ by turns.¨
2. What is said about boatsmen´s feet if their trade is hereditary?
(a) They cannot walk without shoes.
(b) They are webbed.
(c) They do not have toes.
(d) They are black.
3. What happens to the knife when the midwife tries to cut apart Villanelle´s toes?
(a) It flies out of her hand.
(b) It is bent.
(c) It breaks.
(d) It turns black.
4. Why is Villanelle apprehensive about her first dinner date with the Queen of Spades?
(a) The Queen of Spades is too beautiful.
(b) The Queen of Spades thinks she is a man.
(c) The Queen of Spades wants her to have a mustache.
(d) The Queen of Spades is married.
5. Finish this sentence: ¨St Paul said it is better to marry than to ______.¨
(b) Be alone.
6. What is the woman who kisses Henri on New Year´s Ever holding?
(a) A cross.
(b) A bag of potatoes.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A baby.
7. What is Henri's first commission?
(c) Neck wringer.
8. Who does Patrick say he saw in the woods?
(a) A giant.
9. What test does the recruiting officer give Henri to determine his position in the army?
(a) Asks him to crack a walnut with one hand.
(b) Asks him to hold a pole steady in the palm of his hand.
(c) Asks him to pluck a chicken in under 2 minutes.
(d) Asks him the rules of dinner service.
10. When Henri returns to Napoleon after his leave, why are the Bonapartes spending so much money?
(a) For Napoleon´s coronation.
(b) To gear up for war.
(c) It is Josephine´s birthday.
(d) Josephine had her first child.
11. What does Villanelle call Venice in the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) The city of darkness.
(b) The city of water.
(c) The city of mazes.
(d) The city that never sleeps.
12. What is the Queen of Spades´ reaction to Villanelle´s revelation as she leaves?
(a) She vomits.
(b) She already knows.
(c) She begins to laugh.
(d) She is shocked.
13. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
(a) Hangs a man.
(b) Roasts a pig.
(c) Holds a bonfire.
(d) Sets fire to a house.
14. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
(a) Going to the market.
(b) Going to the theatre.
(c) Going for a walk.
(d) Going to a meeting.
15. What does Patrick steal for him and Henri to enjoy?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A bottle of cognac.
(d) A loaf of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nationality of the owner of the brothel Henri goes to?
2. How long has Henri been gone when he returns home on leave?
3. What does the narrator say Napoleon has a passion for?
4. What condition is the cook in when Napoleon first comes to their camp?
5. Who does Patrick say Henri should stick to praying to?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)