|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Queen of Spades say she is doing when she goes to meet Villanelle in secret?
(a) Going to the theatre.
(b) Going to a meeting.
(c) Going for a walk.
(d) Going to the market.
2. When Villanelle leaves the Queen of Spades´house after their first date, what does she do?
(a) Go back to work.
(b) Leave Venice.
(c) Go for a boat ride.
(d) Walk on the canal.
3. Who is Josephine sitting with when Henri serves her melon?
(d) Her father.
4. What does Villanelle do to the cards after the Queen of Spades leaves?
(a) Does not shuffle them again.
(b) Keeps the deck she played with.
(c) Takes out the Queen of Hearts.
(d) Takes out the Queen of Spades.
5. What did Henri´s mother want to be when she was young?
(a) A nun.
(b) A priest.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A man.
6. What is different about Henri´s friend Domino?
(a) He is a midget.
(b) He has only one arm.
(c) He is unusually tall.
(d) He is Corsican.
7. What kind of champagne does the Queen of Spades order?
(a) Madame Cliquot.
(c) Dom Perignon.
8. How many hands high was Napoleon's horse?
9. What does Villanelle say that God wants us to do?
(c) Be violent.
(d) Challenge him.
10. Why is Henri unable to secure his first choice of job in the army?
(a) He is too old.
(b) He is not tall enough.
(c) His hands are not strong enough.
(d) He is not old enough.
11. What is said about boatsmen´s feet if their trade is hereditary?
(a) They do not have toes.
(b) They are black.
(c) They cannot walk without shoes.
(d) They are webbed.
12. Who is the author of 'The Passion'?
(a) Jennifer Winterson.
(b) Jeanette Peters.
(c) Jeanette Winterson.
(d) Jean Winters.
13. How long has Henri been gone when he returns home on leave?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
14. How does Villanelle calm herself?
(a) By taking deep breaths.
(b) By rowing down the canal.
(c) By singing a song.
(d) By going for a walk.
15. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
(a) Gold trade.
(b) Rare books.
(c) Stocks and bonds.
(d) Water commerce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn´t Patrick pray to the Virgin Mary?
2. What is the fog that descends over Venice called?
3. According to legend, what herb do boatsmen´s wives leave in the boat when they make their offerings?
4. What is the quote that opens 'The Passion' taken from?
5. What does Henri´s mother give him as he leaves to go to war?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)