|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish this sentence from Chapter 2: ¨Bridges join but they also _______.¨
2. What does Henri think about when he is in the brothel?
(b) His father.
3. What is Villanelle wearing on her second date with the Queen of Spades?
(a) An officer´s uniform.
(b) Her casino uniform.
(c) Boatsmen´s clothes.
(d) A dress.
4. When Villanelle leaves the Queen of Spades´house after their first date, what does she do?
(a) Walk on the canal.
(b) Leave Venice.
(c) Go back to work.
(d) Go for a boat ride.
5. What does Villanelle do to the cards after the Queen of Spades leaves?
(a) Takes out the Queen of Spades.
(b) Does not shuffle them again.
(c) Takes out the Queen of Hearts.
(d) Keeps the deck she played with.
6. According to legend, what herb do boatsmen´s wives leave in the boat when they make their offerings?
7. What does Henri´s mother give him as he leaves to go to war?
(b) A knife.
(c) A blessing.
(d) A bible.
8. What does the narrator say Napoleon has a passion for?
(d) Short servants.
9. What does the Queen of Spades say her husband deals in?
(a) Water commerce.
(b) Stocks and bonds.
(c) Rare books.
(d) Gold trade.
10. Why is Henri unable to secure his first choice of job in the army?
(a) He is not old enough.
(b) His hands are not strong enough.
(c) He is not tall enough.
(d) He is too old.
11. What test does the recruiting officer give Henri to determine his position in the army?
(a) Asks him to pluck a chicken in under 2 minutes.
(b) Asks him to hold a pole steady in the palm of his hand.
(c) Asks him to crack a walnut with one hand.
(d) Asks him the rules of dinner service.
12. What does the homeless woman in Chapter 2 tell Villanelle to beware of?
13. What is the fog that descends over Venice called?
14. What does Henri say his village does at the end of every winter?
(a) Sets fire to a house.
(b) Holds a bonfire.
(c) Roasts a pig.
(d) Hangs a man.
15. When Villanelle is sitting at the restaurant on her day off, what does the waiter bring her?
(b) A ring.
(d) An earring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish this sentence: "He kept small servants and _________."
2. Finish this sentence: "Christ lost consciousness at ______."
3. What is the woman who kisses Henri on New Year´s Ever holding?
4. Where is Bonaparte´s Josephine from?
5. On their second date, what does the Queen of Spades ask Villanelle to do?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)