Chapter 1, The Emperor, pg. 1-15
• The novel opens with a quote from Medea.
• The narrator talks about his and the country's love for Napoleon, and Napoleon's love for chicken.
• The narrator is Napoleon's servant, and serves him his chicken.
• Napoleon likes his servants to be shorter than him and completely subservient.
• The narrator, Henri, wanted to be a drummer, but did not have the hand strength required and was assigned to the kitchen.
• Henri's first job was to kill the chickens to be cooked for Napoleon.
• Henri is homesick, and thinks of the bonfires they had in his hometown.
• Henri is set to march with the army amongst tearful goodbyes, but all have a strong passion for Napoleon.
• Henri works with the cook, who takes him to a whorehouse.
• The cook gets drunk and belligerent, a woman knocks him out with a bottle.
• Henri talks about his mother...
This section contains 2,097 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)