|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "Invisible-Pawn"?
2. How does the drinkard put an end to the "natural disaster"?
3. Who does the drinkard assign to help him with his plan to end the "natural disaster"?
4. What does "Hungry-Monster" do with the wooden doll?
5. How do the red people loose their redness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why some might consider the drinkard to be a "good" character in the end and another might see him as a "bad" character.
2. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
3. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
4. Why does the drinkard ask the reader for help in judging the court cases from "mixed town"?
5. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard when comes home and shares his powerful egg?
6. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
7. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
8. Describe the hungry-creature.
9. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
10. Comment on how the drinkard sums up his journey, "And so all our trials, difficulties and many years' travel brought only an egg or resulted in an egg." (Chapter 32, p. 295)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Palm-wine Drinkard can be considered part of the folklore tradition. Explain, using at least three examples, why this is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Comment on the grotesque elements in this novel. Give at least three examples of the grotesque and explain their significance within the novel. How would the novel be different without these grotesque elements?
Essay Topic 3
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)