|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the drinkard make the rule that he would only serve people outside?
2. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the first wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
3. Why do the drinkard and his wife leave the town?
4. What do the "mountain-creatures" love to do?
5. What does the tapster do for the drinkard and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
2. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
3. Describe the group of four hundred dead babies the drinkard and his wife meet on the road.
4. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
5. How does the drinkard escape from the hungry-creature's stomach? Is this realistic?
6. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
7. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
8. Explain why some might consider the drinkard to be a "good" character in the end and another might see him as a "bad" character.
9. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
10. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Palm-wine Drinkard can be considered part of the folklore tradition. Explain, using at least three examples, why this is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Magical Realism is a genre of literature in which magical elements are considered normal within the reality of a novel. Could The Palm-wine Drinkard be classified under this genre? Support your answer with at least three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The drinkard kills the red fish and red bird with the gun that Faithful-Mother gave him. Afterward, all the red people ran from him in fear. Earlier in the story, the drinkard used his juju to defeat opponents and instill the same fear in people. Please address this shift in how the drinkard deals with challenges. Be sure to discuss whether this shift is symbolic or not and why.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)