|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the drinkard put an end to the "natural disaster"?
2. How do the townspeople react to what "Invisible-Pawn" does when the drinkard offers him yams and corn as a thank you?
3. How many dead babies do the drinkard and his wife meet on the road?
4. What does the man do on the morning of the seventh day of the parade?
5. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the third wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
2. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
3. When can the drinkard and his wife enter "Dead's Town"? Is this symbolic?
4. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
5. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
6. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
7. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
8. Why does the drinkard let the hungry-creature eat him?
9. Comment on how the drinkard sums up his journey, "And so all our trials, difficulties and many years' travel brought only an egg or resulted in an egg." (Chapter 32, p. 295)
10. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on the grotesque elements in this novel. Give at least three examples of the grotesque and explain their significance within the novel. How would the novel be different without these grotesque elements?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
Explain why "death" is an important theme in this novel. Using three examples, demonstrate the different ways in which death is present in the novel and how each of these examples are significant (symbolically, morally, plot-wise, etc.)
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)