|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man do on the morning of the seventh day of the parade?
2. When the drinkard and his wife are captured and put in a bag, what are the other creatures in the bag like?
3. How do the drinkard and his wife get more money?
4. Why does the drinkard make the rule that he would only serve people outside?
5. What does "Hungry-Monster" do with the wooden doll?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the drinkard let the hungry-creature eat him?
2. Describe the white tree.
3. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
4. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
5. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
6. Compare the juju the drinkard used during difficult situations with the gun he used during difficult situations.
7. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
8. What new power does the drinkard's wife develop during pages 248-264?
9. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
10. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The drinkard shares many qualities with the epic hero model. First, address what the epic hero model is. Second, suggest characteristics that the drinkard shares with the epic hero. Finally, discuss whether you consider him an epic hero or not and why.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
Essay Topic 3
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)