|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the drinkard ask of his readers after he explains the two cases?
2. After how long, does Faithful-Mother tell the drinkard and his wife that they must leave?
3. What does the man do on the morning of the seventh day of the parade?
4. When Heaven and Land go hunting, what animal do they kill?
5. What is the verdict for the second case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the drinkard escape from the hungry-creature's stomach? Is this realistic?
2. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
3. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
4. When can the drinkard and his wife enter "Dead's Town"? Is this symbolic?
5. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
6. Describe the group of four hundred dead babies the drinkard and his wife meet on the road.
7. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
8. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
9. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
10. Describe the "Red-Lady" and her fashion taste.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parenting is a difficult task. Analyze the representation of the drinkard and his wife as parents. How are they represented? Is this representation symbolic? What message is being conveyed or lesson taught by their example?
Essay Topic 2
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
Essay Topic 3
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)