|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the drinkard and his wife first give "Hungry-Monster" to eat?
2. Why does the wise king dress up the drinkard and his wife and parade them around town?
3. In the second case, which wife does the husband first pick when he is brought back to life?
4. Why does the drinkard make the rule that he would only serve people outside?
5. What did the red king kill that caused the town to turn red?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are plants important in this story?
2. Describe the "Red-Lady" and her fashion taste.
3. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
4. Explain why some might consider the drinkard to be a "good" character in the end and another might see him as a "bad" character.
5. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
6. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
7. Why does the drinkard ask the reader for help in judging the court cases from "mixed town"?
8. Does the drinkard give a satisfactory reason for fighting and then killing the bag creatures?
9. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
10. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magical Realism is a genre of literature in which magical elements are considered normal within the reality of a novel. Could The Palm-wine Drinkard be classified under this genre? Support your answer with at least three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
Essay Topic 3
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)