|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tapster say he did the night he died?
2. How does the drinkard get out of "Hungry-Monster's" stomach?
3. In the second case, which wife does the husband first pick when he is brought back to life?
4. How many dead babies do the drinkard and his wife meet on the road?
5. Who is the third character involved in the first case's conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although The Palm-wine Drinkard is written by a Nigerian author and set in Nigeria, readers from anywhere can understand and appreciate it in their own way. What is universal about this story and why? Give at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
Essay Topic 3
The Palm-wine Drinkard is a circular story in that the main character ends back in the place where he started, his hometown. Explain three possible motives for developing and ending the story like this.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)