|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the drinkard turn himself into to escape from the "mountain-creatures"?
2. What else does the drinkard do in case there are future difficulties?
3. What does the man do on the morning of the seventh day of the parade?
4. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the first wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
5. What must you do to make the tapster's gift to the drinkard work?
Essay Topic 1
Family is a common theme in literature. Focus on one example of a family theme in this novel, explaining why it falls under this category, why it is significant within the novel, and finally, how your example is symbolic beyond the text (is there a message here?)
Essay Topic 2
Comment on how the story ends. Be sure to address the following questions:
(1) What type of ending is this? Why?
(2) Is there closure? How so or how is there not?
(3) Why might the author have ended the story this way? What is significant or symbolic about this type of ending?
Essay Topic 3
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)