|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't the slave escape the rain?
2. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the third wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
3. How do the drinkard and his wife get more money?
4. What does "Hungry-Monster" cry?
5. How does the drinkard's magical egg break?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the drinkard escape from the hungry-creature's stomach? Is this realistic?
2. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
3. Describe the hungry-creature.
4. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
5. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
6. When can the drinkard and his wife enter "Dead's Town"? Is this symbolic?
7. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
8. Why does the drinkard let the hungry-creature eat him?
9. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
10. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
Essay Topic 3
The drinkard shares many qualities with the epic hero model. First, address what the epic hero model is. Second, suggest characteristics that the drinkard shares with the epic hero. Finally, discuss whether you consider him an epic hero or not and why.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)