|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the drinkard re-gums the broken egg?
2. What is the bridge that the drinkard and his wife cross?
3. On the way to Dead's Town, the drinkard and his wife get lost and ask to follow a man with a sack. What is in the sack?
4. What is NOT true about the lady that approaches the drinkard and his wife?
5. What happens when the husband from case #2 comes back to life?
Short Essay Questions
1. When can the drinkard and his wife enter "Dead's Town"? Is this symbolic?
2. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
3. Describe the group of four hundred dead babies the drinkard and his wife meet on the road.
4. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
5. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
6. Why does the drinkard ask the reader for help in judging the court cases from "mixed town"?
7. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
8. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
9. Does the drinkard give a satisfactory reason for fighting and then killing the bag creatures?
10. Describe the "Red-Lady" and her fashion taste.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Palm-wine Drinkard can be considered part of the folklore tradition. Explain, using at least three examples, why this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)