|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the drinkard and his wife get more money?
2. Who is the third character involved in the first case's conflict?
3. What is the verdict for the second case?
4. What were the red people before they became red people?
5. Whom does the drinkard help during the "natural disaster"?
Essay Topic 1
The Palm-wine Drinkard can be considered part of the folklore tradition. Explain, using at least three examples, why this is the case.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why "death" is an important theme in this novel. Using three examples, demonstrate the different ways in which death is present in the novel and how each of these examples are significant (symbolically, morally, plot-wise, etc.)
Essay Topic 3
The drinkard kills the red fish and red bird with the gun that Faithful-Mother gave him. Afterward, all the red people ran from him in fear. Earlier in the story, the drinkard used his juju to defeat opponents and instill the same fear in people. Please address this shift in how the drinkard deals with challenges. Be sure to discuss whether this shift is symbolic or not and why.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)