|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the drinkard get out of "Hungry-Monster's" stomach?
2. According to the tapster, why do "alives" and "deads" not live together?
3. What do the drinkard and his wife first give "Hungry-Monster" to eat?
4. How long is the parade requested by the king supposed to last?
5. What is the drinkard's hobby in the next town they go to after escaping "Hungry-Monster"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
2. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
3. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
4. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
5. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
6. Comment on how the drinkard sums up his journey, "And so all our trials, difficulties and many years' travel brought only an egg or resulted in an egg." (Chapter 32, p. 295)
7. What new power does the drinkard's wife develop during pages 248-264?
8. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
9. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
10. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on how the story ends. Be sure to address the following questions:
(1) What type of ending is this? Why?
(2) Is there closure? How so or how is there not?
(3) Why might the author have ended the story this way? What is significant or symbolic about this type of ending?
Essay Topic 2
The drinkard kills the red fish and red bird with the gun that Faithful-Mother gave him. Afterward, all the red people ran from him in fear. Earlier in the story, the drinkard used his juju to defeat opponents and instill the same fear in people. Please address this shift in how the drinkard deals with challenges. Be sure to discuss whether this shift is symbolic or not and why.
Essay Topic 3
The drinkard shares many qualities with the epic hero model. First, address what the epic hero model is. Second, suggest characteristics that the drinkard shares with the epic hero. Finally, discuss whether you consider him an epic hero or not and why.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)