|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bridge that the drinkard and his wife cross?
2. What were the red people before they became red people?
3. The "natural disaster" that has affected the drinkard's hometown was the result of ________.
4. What does the tapster say he did the night he died?
5. What happens when "Invisible-Pawn" is asked to bring firewood?
Essay Topic 1
There is a didactic nature to many of the episodes in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Choose three examples and explain why they can be considered didactic.
Essay Topic 2
The Palm-wine Drinkard can be considered part of the folklore tradition. Explain, using at least three examples, why this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Comment on how the story ends. Be sure to address the following questions:
(1) What type of ending is this? Why?
(2) Is there closure? How so or how is there not?
(3) Why might the author have ended the story this way? What is significant or symbolic about this type of ending?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)