|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bridge that the drinkard and his wife cross?
2. What were the red people before they became red people?
3. The "natural disaster" that has affected the drinkard's hometown was the result of ________.
4. What does the tapster say he did the night he died?
5. What happens when "Invisible-Pawn" is asked to bring firewood?
Essay Topic 1
There is a didactic nature to many of the episodes in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Choose three examples and explain why they can be considered didactic.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why "death" is an important theme in this novel. Using three examples, demonstrate the different ways in which death is present in the novel and how each of these examples are significant (symbolically, morally, plot-wise, etc.)
Essay Topic 3
Although written in the folktale fashion, The Palm-wine Drinkard is a product of an educated Nigerian man who wrote for an English speaking publisher, during the 20th century. Discuss the balance between African tradition and Western modernization. Use at least three distinct examples from the book.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)