|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the lady who brought the drinkard to the red bush?
2. Why can't the slave escape the rain?
3. What did the red king kill that caused the town to turn red?
4. When does "Invisible-Pawn" do his work?
5. How much palm-wine does the drinkard consume with his friends when he first returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the drinkard give a satisfactory reason for fighting and then killing the bag creatures?
2. Compare the juju the drinkard used during difficult situations with the gun he used during difficult situations.
3. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
4. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
5. Are plants important in this story?
6. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
7. Describe the hungry-creature.
8. When can the drinkard and his wife enter "Dead's Town"? Is this symbolic?
9. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
10. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although The Palm-wine Drinkard is written by a Nigerian author and set in Nigeria, readers from anywhere can understand and appreciate it in their own way. What is universal about this story and why? Give at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
While in Dead's Town the tapster explains that "alives" and "deads" can not live together because they each think the other group does everything backwards or incorrectly. Comment on this allegorical chapter using these questions to guide you:
(1) What happens in this chapter? Where else in the book do we find similar events and themes?
(2) What are these scene allegories for?
(3) Is there a moral lesson or resolution to these allegories? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
There is a didactic nature to many of the episodes in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Choose three examples and explain why they can be considered didactic.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)