|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the red people loose their redness?
2. Why is the drinkard kicked out of "Dead's Town"?
3. On the way to Dead's Town, the drinkard and his wife get lost and ask to follow a man with a sack. What is in the sack?
4. How do the drinkard and his wife get more money?
5. What does the tapster bring to the drinkard and his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
Essay Topic 2
Magical Realism is a genre of literature in which magical elements are considered normal within the reality of a novel. Could The Palm-wine Drinkard be classified under this genre? Support your answer with at least three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Palm-wine Drinkard is a circular story in that the main character ends back in the place where he started, his hometown. Explain three possible motives for developing and ending the story like this.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)