|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the drinkard and his wife stay by the river for a whole month?
2. Why do the attendants bring an eagle?
3. What does the old man (a god) give the drinkard to catch Death?
4. How do the drinkard and his wife end up in the white tree?
5. What does the Termite House look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
2. Describe the palm-wine drinkard's relationship with his friends at the beginning of the story.
3. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
4. Why couldn't the people of Wraith-Island accompany the drinkar and his wife to their next destination? Have you noticed this problem in previous chapters?
5. Describe "Laugh."
6. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
7. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
8. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
9. In "Three Good Creatures Took Over Our Trouble," how do the drinkard and his wife make money? What might this say about their characters?
10. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why "death" is an important theme in this novel. Using three examples, demonstrate the different ways in which death is present in the novel and how each of these examples are significant (symbolically, morally, plot-wise, etc.)
Essay Topic 2
The drinkard shares many qualities with the epic hero model. First, address what the epic hero model is. Second, suggest characteristics that the drinkard shares with the epic hero. Finally, discuss whether you consider him an epic hero or not and why.
Essay Topic 3
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)