|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how much does "half-bodied baby" weight by the time the drinkard starts carrying him?
2. What does wife forget in the ashes?
3. What did Zurrjir love to do?
4. What won't "half-bodied baby" let his parents do?
5. Why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
2. In "Three Good Creatures Took Over Our Trouble," how do the drinkard and his wife make money? What might this say about their characters?
3. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
4. Why couldn't the people of Wraith-Island accompany the drinkar and his wife to their next destination? Have you noticed this problem in previous chapters?
5. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
6. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
7. Who is "Faithful-Mother"? What is her responsibility?
8. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
9. What kind of story is this? How is it told?
10. Describe "Laugh."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
Essay Topic 3
There is a didactic nature to many of the episodes in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Choose three examples and explain why they can be considered didactic.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)