|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the townspeople want to exile?
2. What does the Termite House look like?
3. What does the drinkard change himself into as he and the woman escape from Skull?
4. What happens when the drinkard brings Death to the old man (a god)?
5. What is the protagonist's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
2. Describe "Laugh."
3. Describe the "Spirit of Prey" and how he kills his prey.
4. What lesson can be learned from the little creature on Wraith-Island who was not picked by the King to help clear the corn fields?
5. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
6. What is special about Drum, Song, and Dance?
7. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
8. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
9. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
10. What kind of story is this? How is it told?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
Essay Topic 3
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)