Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "right thing" does the old man (a god) want the drinkard to bring back from the black-smith?
2. What is the bed in Death's house made of?
3. Why does the man with eyes in back of his knees chase the drinkard and his wife?
4. About how much does "half-bodied baby" weight by the time the drinkard starts carrying him?
5. What happens when the woman gets off the bullfrog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
2. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
3. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
4. Describe the hungry-creature.
5. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
6. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
7. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
8. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
9. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
10. Describe how the "Invisible-Pawn" gets his work done.
Essay Topic 1
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
Essay Topic 2
This story is narrated in first person by the protagonist, the drinkard. This means that there is no explicit description of the drinkard or his personality. Based on the drinkard's action, decisions, and opinions, how would you describe the drinkard and why? Give at least three observations about him and evidence to support these observations.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)