|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zurrjir love to do?
2. What happens when the drinkard brings Death to the old man (a god)?
3. Where does Skull live?
4. Which god does the king make the drinkard meet?
5. How does "Spirit of Prey" kill his prey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the drinkard react when he first sees the Skull as a "complete gentleman"?
2. Describe the "Spirit of Prey" and how he kills his prey.
3. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
4. In "Three Good Creatures Took Over Our Trouble," how do the drinkard and his wife make money? What might this say about their characters?
5. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
6. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
7. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
8. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
9. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
10. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magical Realism is a genre of literature in which magical elements are considered normal within the reality of a novel. Could The Palm-wine Drinkard be classified under this genre? Support your answer with at least three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Although written in the folktale fashion, The Palm-wine Drinkard is a product of an educated Nigerian man who wrote for an English speaking publisher, during the 20th century. Discuss the balance between African tradition and Western modernization. Use at least three distinct examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)