|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the townspeople want to exile?
2. Why does the drinkard cry when he first sees the complete gentleman?
3. Why does the drinkard cut down a tree when he and his wife reach the river?
4. Whom does the drinkard and his wife meet personally the night, after meeting the king?
5. What must happen so the woman can eat and speak again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is "Faithful-Mother"? What is her responsibility?
2. Describe the palm-wine drinkard's relationship with his friends at the beginning of the story.
3. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
4. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
5. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
6. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
7. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
8. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
9. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
10. Describe Skull and his house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is employed throughout The Palm-wine Drinkard. Discuss the use of and meaning of three symbols. (The teacher could specify three symbols as well: juju, gun, egg, seed, half-bodied baby, etc.).
Essay Topic 2
The drinkard kills the red fish and red bird with the gun that Faithful-Mother gave him. Afterward, all the red people ran from him in fear. Earlier in the story, the drinkard used his juju to defeat opponents and instill the same fear in people. Please address this shift in how the drinkard deals with challenges. Be sure to discuss whether this shift is symbolic or not and why.
Essay Topic 3
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)