|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does wife forget in the ashes?
2. How long ago did the tapster leave the town where the drinkard thought he'd find him?
3. Who figures out how to help the woman eat and speak again?
4. What happens when the drinkard brings Death to the old man (a god)?
5. What is NOT true about the market's owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
2. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
3. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
4. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
5. Describe Skull and his house.
6. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
7. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
8. What lesson can be learned from the little creature on Wraith-Island who was not picked by the King to help clear the corn fields?
9. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
10. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
Essay Topic 2
Although written in the folktale fashion, The Palm-wine Drinkard is a product of an educated Nigerian man who wrote for an English speaking publisher, during the 20th century. Discuss the balance between African tradition and Western modernization. Use at least three distinct examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Magical Realism is a genre of literature in which magical elements are considered normal within the reality of a novel. Could The Palm-wine Drinkard be classified under this genre? Support your answer with at least three examples from the book.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)