|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the drinkard's financial situation when he meets Drums, Song, and Dance?
2. Who is Zurrjir?
3. What happens to the woman's thumb?
4. Who figures out how to help the woman eat and speak again?
5. What does this character do in return for being forgotten by the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
2. Describe Skull and his house.
3. Describe the "Spirit of Prey" and how he kills his prey.
4. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
5. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
6. What is special about Drum, Song, and Dance?
7. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
8. What kind of story is this? How is it told?
9. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
10. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although written in the folktale fashion, The Palm-wine Drinkard is a product of an educated Nigerian man who wrote for an English speaking publisher, during the 20th century. Discuss the balance between African tradition and Western modernization. Use at least three distinct examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
Essay Topic 3
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)