Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the drinkard change the woman into as they escape from Skull?
2. Who gave the drinkard the juju he uses to turn himself into a large bird?
3. What is the bed in Death's house made of?
4. How does the king try to make the drinkard and his wife talk?
5. Who is inside the white tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the king from "We and the Wise King in the Wrong Town with the Prince Killer" described as wise?
2. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
3. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
4. Describe Skull and his house.
5. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
6. Describe the white tree.
7. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
8. Compare the juju the drinkard used during difficult situations with the gun he used during difficult situations.
9. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
10. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
Fantasy and Magical Realism are two distinct but related literary genres. Discuss:
(1) The differences between the two genres.
(2) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a fantasy? Why or why not?
(3) Can The Palm-wine Drinkard be considered a an example of Magical Realism? Why or why not?
(4) How would you classify The Palm-wine Drinkard?
Family is a common theme in literature. Focus on one example of a family theme in this novel, explaining why it falls under this category, why it is significant within the novel, and finally, how your example is symbolic beyond the text (is there a message here?)
There are three prominent female characters in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Describe each and their significance within the novel. Next, compare and contrast their roles. Finally, address this question: Is their being female the only thing that ties them together?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)