|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zurrjir is described as a "wonderful" child because ________.
2. What is NOT true about the specific creature the drinkard describes in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
3. After meeting Drums, Song, and Dance, what does the drinkard do for five days?
4. How is the bush described that the drinkard and his wife next travel through?
5. What happens when the woman gets off the bullfrog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Death and his house.
2. How does the drinkard react when he first sees the Skull as a "complete gentleman"?
3. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
4. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
5. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
6. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
7. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
8. What kind of story is this? How is it told?
9. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
10. Who is "Faithful-Mother"? What is her responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comment on the grotesque elements in this novel. Give at least three examples of the grotesque and explain their significance within the novel. How would the novel be different without these grotesque elements?
Essay Topic 2
Parenting is a difficult task. Analyze the representation of the drinkard and his wife as parents. How are they represented? Is this representation symbolic? What message is being conveyed or lesson taught by their example?
Essay Topic 3
There is a didactic nature to many of the episodes in The Palm-wine Drinkard. Choose three examples and explain why they can be considered didactic.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)