|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "right thing" does the old man (a god) want the drinkard to bring back from the black-smith?
2. What is the bed in Death's house made of?
3. Why does the man with eyes in back of his knees chase the drinkard and his wife?
4. About how much does "half-bodied baby" weight by the time the drinkard starts carrying him?
5. What happens when the woman gets off the bullfrog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
2. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
3. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
4. Describe the hungry-creature.
5. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
6. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
7. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
8. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
9. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
10. Describe how the "Invisible-Pawn" gets his work done.
Essay Topic 1
Family is a common theme in literature. Focus on one example of a family theme in this novel, explaining why it falls under this category, why it is significant within the novel, and finally, how your example is symbolic beyond the text (is there a message here?)
Essay Topic 2
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a difficult task. Analyze the representation of the drinkard and his wife as parents. How are they represented? Is this representation symbolic? What message is being conveyed or lesson taught by their example?
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)