|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man with eyes in back of his knees chase the drinkard and his wife?
2. Why does the drinkard cut down a tree when he and his wife reach the river?
3. What is the protagonist's name?
4. What are the people of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
5. What does the drinkard use to transform himself to escape the creatures, in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Death and his house.
2. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
3. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
4. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
5. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
6. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
7. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
8. What is special about Drum, Song, and Dance?
9. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
10. Describe Skull and his house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many borders in The Palm-wine drinkard, and trespassing these borders can create trouble. Choose three examples of trespassing and explain why they are significant. Next, discuss the symbolism in borders and border crossing. Are the examples you listed at all allegorical? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The drinkard shares many qualities with the epic hero model. First, address what the epic hero model is. Second, suggest characteristics that the drinkard shares with the epic hero. Finally, discuss whether you consider him an epic hero or not and why.
Essay Topic 3
Parenting is a difficult task. Analyze the representation of the drinkard and his wife as parents. How are they represented? Is this representation symbolic? What message is being conveyed or lesson taught by their example?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)