|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the bridge that the drinkard and his wife cross?
(a) It is Faithful-Hands.
(b) A blanket that turns stiff.
(c) A ropes course.
(d) A stick in Faithful-Mother's hand.
2. How much palm-wine does the drinkard consume with his friends when he first returns home?
(a) 2 glasses each.
(b) 200 kegs.
(c) 2 kegs.
(d) 2 million kegs.
3. Who is "Invisible-Pawn"?
(a) The head of the bush creatures.
(b) The drinkard's son.
(d) The tapster.
4. In the second case, which wife does the husband first pick when he is brought back to life?
(a) None, the third wife offers herself.
(b) His third wife.
(c) His second wife.
(d) His first wife.
5. Who figures out how to help the drinkard heal more quickly after he is beat up by the giant?
(a) The giant.
(c) His wife.
(d) The tapster.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "natural disaster" that has affected the drinkard's hometown was the result of ________.
2. How long do the drinkard and his wife stay with the wise king?
3. What else does the drinkard do in case there are future difficulties?
4. When can "alives" enter Dead's Town.
5. Who is the power that creates the "natural disaster" that affects the drinkard's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
2. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
3. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
4. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
5. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
6. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
7. Compare the juju the drinkard used during difficult situations with the gun he used during difficult situations.
8. Describe the group of four hundred dead babies the drinkard and his wife meet on the road.
9. Why does the drinkard let the hungry-creature eat him?
10. Are plants important in this story?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)