|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the drinkard help during the "natural disaster"?
(a) Only people from his hometown.
(b) Only his family.
(c) Only his family and close friends.
(d) People from various towns and villages surrounding his house.
2. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the first wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
(a) She went in search of a wizard.
(b) She died with her husband.
(c) She stayed and guarded the dead husband's body.
(d) She did nothing.
3. How many dead babies do the drinkard and his wife meet on the road?
4. Who figures out how to help the drinkard heal more quickly after he is beat up by the giant?
(a) The tapster.
(b) The giant.
(d) His wife.
5. What pastime does the drinkard take up while in the white tree?
(a) Chess playing.
(b) Rock collecting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the drinkard kicked out of "Dead's Town"?
2. How is the drinkard supposed to walk in "Dead's Town"?
3. What does "Hungry-Monster" do with the wooden doll?
4. What is NOT true about the lady that approaches the drinkard and his wife?
5. On the way to Dead's Town, the drinkard and his wife get lost and ask to follow a man with a sack. What is in the sack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
2. What does the drinkard do when he realizes the townspeople plan to revolt against him?
3. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
4. How could the magic egg be seen as symbolic?
5. What new power does the drinkard's wife develop during pages 248-264?
6. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
7. Describe the feud between Heaven and Land.
8. While living in "mixed town," the drinkard is asked to judge two separate cases, but he leaves them unresolved. How are they similar and what makes them hard to resolve?
9. What does "Faithful-Mother" give the drinkard and his wife when they depart?
10. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)