|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, what does Dance turn into?
(a) A cave.
(b) A river.
(c) A valley.
(d) A mountain.
2. What were the red people before they became red people?
(a) Blue people.
(c) Human beings.
3. What happens when the drinkard offers the "Invisible-Pawn" yams and corn as thanks for his work?
(a) "Invisible-Pawn" only eats corn.
(b) "Invisible-Pawn" refuses the offer.
(c) "Invisible-Pawn" only eats yams.
(d) "Invisible-Pawn" eats all the crops in town.
4. How do the drinkard and his wife get more money?
(a) They beg Faithful-Mother for money.
(b) They take their fear back and collect the interest.
(c) They create money with their juju.
(d) They start another ferry business.
5. Where is the next town the drinkard and his wife go to after escaping "Hungry-Monster"?
(a) His wife's hometown.
(b) His hometown.
(c) Mixed Town.
(d) Alives' Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Heaven and Land go hunting, what animal do they kill?
2. From the second case the drinkard tries, what did the first wife do when her husband died unexpectedly?
3. What is the "Invisible-Pawn's" name?
4. How many creatures are in the bag with the drinkard and his wife?
5. Who is the power that creates the "natural disaster" that affects the drinkard's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the drinkard ask the reader for help in judging the court cases from "mixed town"?
2. Explain why some might consider the drinkard to be a "good" character in the end and another might see him as a "bad" character.
3. Describe how the "Invisible-Pawn" gets his work done.
4. After fighting fantastical monsters for ten years, what new hardship does the drinkard come home to? Could this be considered a real life monster? Why?
5. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard after the egg breaks?
6. What themes do we find in "The Invisible-Pawn" chapter that we have seen in earlier chapters?
7. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
8. Describe the group of four hundred dead babies the drinkard and his wife meet on the road.
9. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
10. Are plants important in this story?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)