|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the drinkard and the tapser do together?
(a) Exchange stories.
(b) Go hunting.
(c) Tap palm-wine with new technology.
(d) Build a carriage.
2. What is NOT true about the lady that approaches the drinkard and his wife?
(a) She wears a fancy dress.
(b) She has violet colored hair.
(c) She is a deep red color.
(d) She wears high heels.
3. Whom does the drinkard help during the "natural disaster"?
(a) Only people from his hometown.
(b) Only his family and close friends.
(c) People from various towns and villages surrounding his house.
(d) Only his family.
4. What is the verdict for the second case?
(a) The husband's choice is overturned.
(b) The husband's choice is made official.
(c) The wizard is sentenced to jail.
(d) There is none because the case is postponed.
5. What did the red king kill that caused the town to turn red?
(a) A red creature.
(b) A red bird and red fish.
(c) A wizard.
(d) A red tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the drinkard re-gums the broken egg?
2. In the second case, which wife does the husband first pick when he is brought back to life?
3. What was in the center of the white tree?
4. What does the drinkard use to help alleviate the damage caused by the "natural disaster."
5. What happens when "Invisible-Pawn" is asked to bring firewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the drinkard give a satisfactory reason for fighting and then killing the bag creatures?
2. Why does the drinkard let the hungry-creature eat him?
3. Does the wife's prophecy about the "Invisible-Pawn"--"wonderful hard worker, but he would be a wonderful robber in future"--come true ?
4. How are the people of Dead's Town different from living humans?
5. Are plants important in this story?
6. Does the palm-wine drinkard receive a positive or negative reception from tapster in Dead's Town? How so?
7. What did the drinkard and his wife do with their death and fear? Why is this significant?
8. Describe how the "Invisible-Pawn" gets his work done.
9. How do the townspeople treat the drinkard when comes home and shares his powerful egg?
10. In no more than three sentences, comment on the treatment of magic versus realism in this story. Are the two distinguishable within the world of this novel?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)