|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While living in Wraith Island, what is the drinkard's profession?
2. What was notable about the the protagonist's father?
(a) His father was the richest man in their town.
(b) His father had one leg.
(c) His father had 13 children.
(d) His father lived to be 106 years old.
3. What are the houses in "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
(a) They are three stories.
(b) They are underground.
(c) They have one room.
(d) They are thatched with grass.
4. Where did the tapster go after leaving town?
(a) Dead's Town.
(b) Unreturnable-Heaven's Town.
(c) Mixed Town.
(d) Palm-wine Grove.
5. What happens when the drinkard brings Death to the old man (a god)?
(a) The old man tells the drinkard where the tapster is.
(b) The old man and his wife both die.
(c) The old man and his wife run away in fear.
(d) Death kills everyone in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, what was the only type of money used in the protagonist's town?
2. What does the drinkard change himself into as he and the woman escape from Skull?
3. What is true about the "highway men"?
4. In the second town where the drinkard goes, a man says he will tell the drinkard where the tapster is if he ______.
5. About how much does "half-bodied baby" weight by the time the drinkard starts carrying him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Skull and his house.
2. Describe the palm-wine drinkard's relationship with his friends at the beginning of the story.
3. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
4. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
5. Describe "Laugh."
6. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
7. What is special about Drum, Song, and Dance?
8. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
9. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
10. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)