|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Termite House actually?
(a) A tree trunk.
(b) A library.
(c) An ant farm.
(d) A market.
2. What are the houses in "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
(a) They are three stories.
(b) They have one room.
(c) They are underground.
(d) They are thatched with grass.
3. Why does the drinkard cry when he first sees the complete gentleman?
(a) He cries tears of joy because the complete gentleman is a long lost friend.
(b) He is jealous that the complete gentleman has palm-wine.
(c) He is upset that the complete gentleman was holding a woman captive.
(d) He is jealous of the complete gentleman's beauty.
4. Why do the attendants bring an eagle?
(a) To ride on it to the next town.
(b) To take out the eyes of the drinkard and his wife.
(c) To kill it and eat it.
(d) Because it sings a special song.
5. Why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird?
(a) So he can fly over dangerous roads.
(b) It was an accident.
(c) So he can disguise himself.
(d) Because his wife was also turned into a bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the protagonist's name?
2. What color are the creatures the drinkard meets in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
3. What does "Zurrjir" mean?
4. What does Skull make the woman sit on?
5. What does the king command his attendants to do to the drinkard and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
2. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
3. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
4. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
5. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
6. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
7. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
8. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
9. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
10. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)