|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the drinkard turn himself into after they get to the river and cut down a tree?
(a) A ferry.
(b) A train.
(c) A truck.
(d) A wheel.
2. What are the people of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
(a) They are well versed in philosophy.
(b) They are sweet and pleasant.
(c) They do things backwards and incorrectly.
(d) They all have three eyes.
3. What does this character do in return for being forgotten by the king?
(a) He undoes all the work everyone else had done in the field.
(b) He goes staight to the king to complain.
(c) He leaves Wraith Island.
(d) He clears the field himself to get some attention.
4. What do the creatures do when the drinkard transforms himself in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
(a) They laugh.
(b) They run away in fear.
(c) They get closer to get warm.
(d) They touch him.
5. Where is Death when the drinkard reaches his house?
(a) In his yam garden.
(b) On the roof.
(c) In his house.
(d) By the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "half-bodied baby" commands his mother to _________.
2. The protagonist's siblings were all hard workers, but the protagonist was ____________________.
3. What does the king command his attendants to do to the drinkard and his wife?
4. What are the people like in Wraith-Island?
5. What does the woman, who is held captive by Skull, have around her neck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the drinkard and his wife enjoy staying on Wraith-Island? Why or why not?
2. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
3. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
4. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
5. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
6. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
7. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
8. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
9. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
10. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)