|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the protagonist do when he finds the tapster dead?
(a) He sobs for three days.
(b) He brings the body back to town to bury it.
(c) He climbs a palm tree to tap palm-wine.
(d) He runs away in fear.
2. When does "half-bodied baby" finally come down from the drinkard?
(a) When he meets Drums, Song, and Dance.
(b) When he want to learn how to walk.
(c) When he gets a big steak.
(d) When they run into the white creatures.
3. Why do the attendants bring an eagle?
(a) Because it sings a special song.
(b) To take out the eyes of the drinkard and his wife.
(c) To kill it and eat it.
(d) To ride on it to the next town.
4. What is NOT true about the terrible animal?
(a) He has teeth as thick as cow horns.
(b) His fingernails are about two feet long.
(c) He has long red hair.
(d) He is as big as an elephant.
5. Who dies in the fire that the drinkard starts?
(b) The woman's father.
(c) The complete gentleman.
(d) The drinkard's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zurrjir is described as a "wonderful" child because ________.
2. Whom does the drinkard and his wife meet personally the night, after meeting the king?
3. Why is the terrible animal mad?
4. What does the woman, who is held captive by Skull, have around her neck?
5. What does the woman's father finally tell the drinkard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
2. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
3. What is special about Drum, Song, and Dance?
4. How does the drinkard react when he first sees the Skull as a "complete gentleman"?
5. What lesson can be learned from the little creature on Wraith-Island who was not picked by the King to help clear the corn fields?
6. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
7. Describe the palm-wine drinkard's relationship with his friends at the beginning of the story.
8. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
9. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
10. Describe Death and his house.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)