|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When his parents do not listen to him, "half-bodied baby" commands that they _________.
(a) Be blinded and silenced.
(b) Be unable to eat or breathe.
(c) Be silenced and unable to breathe.
(d) Be blinded and unable to breathe.
2. What is NOT true about the specific creature the drinkard describes in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
(a) He is a quarter of a mile long
(b) He has four hands.
(c) He is six feet in diameter.
(d) He has one eye.
3. Who does the king of Wraith Island forget to chose to help clear the fields?
(a) A tiny creature.
(b) His cousin.
(c) A transparent spirit.
(d) An witch.
4. What is true about the "highway men"?
(a) They are very short.
(b) They charge tolls.
(c) They come in gangs.
(d) They are all red.
5. Where does Skull live?
(a) Under a big rock.
(b) Inside a rotting log.
(c) In a hole.
(d) In the side of a hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. After meeting Drums, Song, and Dance, what does the drinkard do for five days?
2. What does the drinkard change himself into to follow the complete gentleman?
3. Which god does the king make the drinkard meet?
4. Why does the protagonist leave his town?
5. Who dies in the fire that the drinkard starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why couldn't the people of Wraith-Island accompany the drinkar and his wife to their next destination? Have you noticed this problem in previous chapters?
2. Who is "Faithful-Mother"? What is her responsibility?
3. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
4. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
5. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
6. What lesson can be learned from the little creature on Wraith-Island who was not picked by the King to help clear the corn fields?
7. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
8. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
9. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
10. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)