|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was notable about the the protagonist's father?
(a) His father had one leg.
(b) His father lived to be 106 years old.
(c) His father was the richest man in their town.
(d) His father had 13 children.
2. When his parents do not listen to him, "half-bodied baby" commands that they _________.
(a) Be silenced and unable to breathe.
(b) Be blinded and unable to breathe.
(c) Be unable to eat or breathe.
(d) Be blinded and silenced.
3. What does the drinkard change the woman into as they escape from Skull?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A tiny kitten.
(c) A sparrow-like bird.
(d) A bullfrog.
4. What does the king command his attendants to do to the drinkard and his wife?
(a) Shave their heads.
(b) Invite them for tea.
(c) Banish them.
(d) Put them in jail.
5. What do the creatures do when the drinkard transforms himself in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
(a) They touch him.
(b) They run away in fear.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They get closer to get warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does wife forget in the ashes?
2. What color are the creatures the drinkard meets in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
3. What happens when the children of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" try to nail the heads of the drinkard and his wife?
4. What does the protagonist do when he finds the tapster dead?
5. What is NOT true about the specific creature the drinkard describes in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
2. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
3. When following and spying on Skull, what does the drinkard turn himself into and why?
4. Describe Death and his house.
5. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
6. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
7. What kind of story is this? How is it told?
8. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
9. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
10. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)