|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT true about the "complete" gentleman?
(a) He wears expensive clothes.
(b) He is beautiful.
(c) He could be sold for at least two thousand pounds.
(d) He is short.
2. What is NOT true about the market's owner?
(a) He has no foot.
(b) His head is small like a baby's.
(c) He has a strange moustache.
(d) He jumps instead of walks.
3. What happens when the woman gets off the bullfrog?
(a) She disappears.
(b) Her scarf starts to choke her.
(c) Her necklace breaks.
(d) The cowrie starts screaming.
4. Why won't the people of Wraith Island leave with the drinkard and his wife?
(a) They have a festival coming up.
(b) It is prohibited for them to cross their border.
(c) They are too weak too travel.
(d) They do not like the drinkard and his wife.
5. What does the drinkard change himself into to follow the complete gentleman?
(a) A lizard.
(b) A woman.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A bullfrog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the attendants complete the task the king assigns them, regarding the drinkard and his wife?
2. Why do the drinkard and his wife stay by the river for a whole month?
3. Who gave the drinkard the juju he uses to turn himself into a large bird?
4. Who does the king of Wraith Island forget to chose to help clear the fields?
5. Who dies in the fire that the drinkard starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe "Laugh."
2. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
3. Describe the white monster that the drinkard and his wife encounter in "No Road--Ought to Travel from Bush to Bush to the Dead's Town."
4. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
5. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
6. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
7. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
8. Describe the drinkard's reaction when he saves the woman from Skull, brings her home, but then cannot get the cowrie off her neck, which prevents her from speaking and eating. Why is this significant?
9. Describe Skull and his house.
10. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)