|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how much does "half-bodied baby" weight by the time the drinkard starts carrying him?
(a) 28 lbs.
(b) 2,800 lbs.
(c) 280 lbs.
2. How long ago did the tapster leave the town where the drinkard thought he'd find him?
(a) 10 hours ago.
(b) 2 years ago.
(c) 2 days ago.
(d) 10 years ago.
3. What does the drinkard turn himself into to escape the creatures in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
(a) A tornado.
(b) Hot water.
(d) A fire.
4. How do the drinkard and his wife end up in the white tree?
(a) They enter through the back door.
(b) The tree's hands grab them and bring them in.
(c) They fall through a hole into another world.
(d) They climb the tree, then fall through a shoot.
5. Where does Skull live?
(a) Under a big rock.
(b) Inside a rotting log.
(c) In the side of a hill.
(d) In a hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist bring with him on his journey?
2. Which god does the king make the drinkard meet?
3. Who figures out how to help the woman eat and speak again?
4. What are the people of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
5. What is the drinkard's financial situation when he meets Drums, Song, and Dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Three Good Creatures Took Over Our Trouble," how do the drinkard and his wife make money? What might this say about their characters?
2. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
3. What do the drinkard and his wife find out when they arrive in the town where the tapster is supposed to be? How do they react?
4. How does the drinkard react when he first sees the Skull as a "complete gentleman"?
5. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
6. How do the drinkard and his wife eventually escape from the white creatures?
7. Describe the "half-bodied baby." Who is he and what is he like?
8. What is symbolic about the magic seeds?
9. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
10. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)