|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does wife forget in the ashes?
(a) Her gold trinket.
(b) A photo album.
(c) Her silver pendant.
(d) Her ring.
2. Where did the tapster go after leaving town?
(a) Palm-wine Grove.
(b) Mixed Town.
(c) Unreturnable-Heaven's Town.
(d) Dead's Town.
3. Which description is NOT true about "half-bodied baby"?
(a) He is always hungry.
(b) He is growing long hair.
(c) He is getting heavier.
(d) He never sleeps.
4. What does the drinkard change himself into as he and the woman escape from Skull?
(a) A bullfrog.
(b) A tiny kitten.
(c) A lizard.
(d) A sparrow-like bird.
5. What does "Zurrjir" mean?
(a) Insatiable appetite.
(b) Father of gods who could do everthing in the world.
(c) Born from a thumb.
(d) A son who would change himself into another thing soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man with eyes in back of his knees chase the drinkard and his wife?
2. What do the creatures do when the drinkard transforms himself in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
3. What are the houses in "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
4. Who figures out how to help the woman eat and speak again?
5. What won't "half-bodied baby" let his parents do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the palm-wine drinkard's relationship with his friends at the beginning of the story.
2. In "Three Good Creatures Took Over Our Trouble," how do the drinkard and his wife make money? What might this say about their characters?
3. Describe Skull and his house.
4. In the first town that the palm-wine drinkard visits, he meets an old man who gives him two challenges. How does the drinkard complete these tasks and what does this say about his human and non-human abilities?
5. Describe Death and his house.
6. How is the "bush" personified in "Not Too Small to be Chosen"?
7. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
8. Comment on the parent-child relationship, during "On the Way to an Unknown Place." What is significant about the characters' roles?
9. Describe the "Spirit of Prey" and how he kills his prey.
10. Describe how the drinkard's son was born. Why is this extraordinary birth significant?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)