|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the woman, who is held captive by Skull, have around her neck?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A cowrie.
(d) Some juju.
2. What does the old man (a god) give the drinkard to catch Death?
(a) A black bag.
(b) Some garlic.
(c) A spear.
(d) A net.
3. What is NOT true about the specific creature the drinkard describes in "No road--out to travel from bust to bush to the Dead's town"?
(a) He has one eye.
(b) He has four hands.
(c) He is six feet in diameter.
(d) He is a quarter of a mile long
4. What "right thing" does the old man (a god) want the drinkard to bring back from the black-smith?
(a) A tool.
(b) A bell.
(c) A key.
(d) A candlestick.
5. The protagonist's siblings were all hard workers, but the protagonist was ____________________.
(a) Bedridden from a rare disease.
(b) A hermit who read books all day.
(c) Too young to help with work.
(d) Occupied with drinking palm-wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman witness as she follows the "complete" gentleman into the forest?
2. Who do the townspeople want to exile?
3. What happens when the children of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" try to nail the heads of the drinkard and his wife?
4. Who is Zurrjir?
5. Where does the "half-bodied baby" appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on how the drinkard deals with his insatiable son.
2. There is a common saying, "like father like son." How is this true in respect to the drinkard and his son Zurrjir?
3. The drinkard describes the inhabitants of "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" as "backwards." What does he mean by this? Elaborate.
4. Why couldn't the people of Wraith-Island accompany the drinkar and his wife to their next destination? Have you noticed this problem in previous chapters?
5. Who is the narrator of this novel? What is he like?
6. Describe Death and his house.
7. How does the drinkard react when he first sees the Skull as a "complete gentleman"?
8. Describe "Laugh."
9. Why does the drinkard's initial plan to escape the white creatures backfire?
10. During "To Travel by Air," why does the drinkard turn himself into a bird and fly his wife to their next destination?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)