|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT true about the "complete" gentleman?
(a) He is short.
(b) He could be sold for at least two thousand pounds.
(c) He wears expensive clothes.
(d) He is beautiful.
2. What are the people like in Wraith-Island?
(a) Very nice and loving.
(b) Very violent and mean.
(c) Very talkative.
(d) Always busy.
3. In the second town where the drinkard goes, a man says he will tell the drinkard where the tapster is if he ______.
(a) Kills the curious creature who killed his crops.
(b) Marries the man's daughter.
(c) Goes to the market and learn how to become a "complete" gentleman.
(d) Returns the man's daughter who was captured by a curious creature.
4. Why does the drinkard cry when he first sees the complete gentleman?
(a) He cries tears of joy because the complete gentleman is a long lost friend.
(b) He is jealous that the complete gentleman has palm-wine.
(c) He is upset that the complete gentleman was holding a woman captive.
(d) He is jealous of the complete gentleman's beauty.
5. What is the protagonist's name?
(a) His name is unknown.
(b) Father of the gods who could do everything in this world.
(d) God of Palm-Wine.
6. Why does the protagonist leave his town?
(a) He leaves in search of the dead tapster.
(b) He follows the woman he wants to marry.
(c) He is exiled by his family.
(d) There is a famine and he is hungry.
7. Who gave the drinkard the juju he uses to turn himself into a large bird?
(a) Water Spirt Woman.
(b) His father.
(c) Spirit of Prey.
(d) A ghost.
8. How is the bush described that the drinkard and his wife next travel through?
9. What is true about the "highway men"?
(a) They are very short.
(b) They charge tolls.
(c) They come in gangs.
(d) They are all red.
10. The "half-bodied baby" commands his mother to _________.
(a) Carry him on her back.
(b) Carry him on her head.
(c) Carry him on her shoulders.
(d) Carry him in her arms.
11. Where does Skull live?
(a) Inside a rotting log.
(b) In the side of a hill.
(c) In a hole.
(d) Under a big rock.
12. What does the drinkard change himself into as he and the woman escape from Skull?
(a) A bullfrog.
(b) A lizard.
(c) A tiny kitten.
(d) A sparrow-like bird.
13. Why won't the people of Wraith Island leave with the drinkard and his wife?
(a) They are too weak too travel.
(b) They do not like the drinkard and his wife.
(c) They have a festival coming up.
(d) It is prohibited for them to cross their border.
14. Zurrjir is described as a "wonderful" child because ________.
(a) If one hundred men tried to fight him, he is so strong he would just flog them away.
(b) If there were a famine, he would travel miles to find and bring back food for his family.
(c) He helps out in the kitchen.
(d) He has the special power to creat palm-wine out of water.
15. What are the houses in "Unreturnable-Heaven's Town" like?
(a) They are thatched with grass.
(b) They are three stories.
(c) They have one room.
(d) They are underground.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist bring with him on his journey?
2. Why does the drinkard cut down a tree when he and his wife reach the river?
3. Before entering the white tree, what do the drinkard and his wife do?
4. What won't "half-bodied baby" let his parents do?
5. Why do the drinkard and his wife stay by the river for a whole month?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)