|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David say happened to his mother in 1971?
(a) She started working a job.
(b) She asked his father for a divorce.
(c) She moved away from his family.
(d) She had a nervous breakdown.
2. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
3. Who interrupts Lane Dean's work in Chapter 33?
(c) His boss.
(d) A phantom.
4. Who are the main characters of Chapter 31?
(a) People being audited by the IRS.
(b) IRS employees.
(c) IRS supervisors.
(d) People interviewing for jobs with the IRS.
5. Where does David say he lived after he was hired by the IRS?
(a) Temporary government housing.
(b) His mother's house.
(c) A friend's apartment.
(d) A luxury hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what does David note about the van that picks him up?
2. In Chapter 23, what is the primary feelings the narrator tries to convey?
3. In Chapter 23, what does the narrator describe?
4. In Chapter 30, what is Sylvanshine's job?
5. In Chapter 35, what worries the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
2. What are IRS phantoms?
3. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
4. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
5. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
6. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
7. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
8. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
9. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
10. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)