|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David say he grew up knowing some tax laws?
(a) His mother worked for the IRS.
(b) His father was an accountant.
(c) His family was audited twice.
(d) He did not grow up knowing tax laws.
2. In Chapter 27, where does most of the REC revenue come from?
(a) Late taxes.
(c) Penalty fines.
(d) Government grants.
3. How does Sylvanshine first talk to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
(a) Through an interpreter.
(b) Over the phone.
(c) In a letter.
(d) Face to face.
4. What does the narrator say Cusk is avoiding in Chapter 27?
(a) Heat sources.
(b) Falling asleep.
(c) Making eye contact.
(d) Being called last.
5. In Chapter 27, what is David trained to do?
(a) Create new forms.
(b) Paper processing jobs.
(c) Highly technical jobs.
(d) Jobs relating to people.
6. How does David's father die after his arm is stuck in the train in Chapter 22?
(a) From his arm bleeding.
(b) From being dragged by the train.
(c) From blood poisoning in his arm.
(d) From hitting the wall of a train tunnel.
7. How are IRS performance quotas described in Chapter 27?
(a) As not existing.
(b) As being quick to change.
(c) As being unofficial.
(d) As being official.
8. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
(a) Push carts.
(b) Adding machines.
(c) Punch cards.
(d) Wall computers.
9. What does David first talk about in the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Pop culture.
(b) Movies of the 1920s.
(c) War history.
(d) His family tree.
10. In Chapter 32, what does the IRS examiner ask someone to do over the phone?
(a) Tell a joke.
(b) Explain a problem.
(c) An impersonation.
11. What do the agents at Peoria REC call the product of Martinsburg?
(a) A problem.
(b) A file.
(c) A card.
(d) A case.
12. What IRS hiring event takes place in Chapter 27?
(a) The background check review.
(b) The informal orientation.
(c) The reception before being sworn in.
(d) The formal orientation.
13. At the end of Cusk's training in Chapter 27, how does Cusk respond to the training?
(a) He starts to dislike it.
(b) He wants to become a trainer.
(c) He seems to understand it.
(d) He does not understand it.
14. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
15. What form does the narrator of Chapter 22 claim to use?
(a) Rhyming poetry.
(d) Historical fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the main characters of Chapter 31?
2. In Chapter 30, where does Sylvanshine get the facts from that he shares with Reynolds?
3. In Chapter 23, what is the primary feelings the narrator tries to convey?
4. Who interrupts Lane Dean's work in Chapter 33?
5. In Chapter 22, who does David blame his parents' divorce on?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)