|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Cusk's training in Chapter 27, how does Cusk respond to the training?
(a) He seems to understand it.
(b) He starts to dislike it.
(c) He does not understand it.
(d) He wants to become a trainer.
2. How does David's father die after his arm is stuck in the train in Chapter 22?
(a) From being dragged by the train.
(b) From hitting the wall of a train tunnel.
(c) From his arm bleeding.
(d) From blood poisoning in his arm.
3. In Chapter 27, what amount of returns are said to be possible audits?
(a) Less than 1 percent.
(b) 1 and a half percent.
(c) More than 2 percent.
(d) About 1 percent.
4. In Chapter 24, what part of David's van ride does he describe the most?
(a) Turning onto the IRS property.
(b) Sitting down next to Cusk.
(c) Stopping for food.
(d) Pulling away from his house.
5. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
(a) Push carts.
(b) Wall computers.
(c) Punch cards.
(d) Adding machines.
6. In Chapter 23, what does the narrator describe?
(a) A past memory.
(b) A dream.
(c) A wish.
(d) A book.
7. What does David first talk about in the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) His family tree.
(b) Pop culture.
(c) Movies of the 1920s.
(d) War history.
8. In Chapter 30, how does Sylvanshine describe Lehrl's future office?
(a) By its size and location.
(b) By its size and color scheme.
(c) By its windows and color scheme.
(d) By its windows and location.
9. In Chapter 24, who is the last person on the van once it arrives at the IRS building?
(a) A secret service agent.
(b) A woman.
10. How are IRS performance quotas described in Chapter 27?
(a) As being official.
(b) As being quick to change.
(c) As being unofficial.
(d) As not existing.
11. What year do David's parents divorce?
12. In Chapter 27, what do the officials of the Peoria REC say about the filings they look for to avoid calling them "profitable"?
(a) "Full of issues".
13. Why does David's father put his arm in the train door in Chapter 22?
(a) To let someone get off the train.
(b) Because he is angry.
(c) It is an accident.
(d) To hold it open for David.
14. In Chapter 27, where does most of the REC revenue come from?
(a) Penalty fines.
(b) Government grants.
(d) Late taxes.
15. In Chapter 24, what does David notice as he walks through the IRS REC building?
(a) Outdated equipment.
(b) Broken light bulbs.
(c) Leaky pipes.
(d) Locked doors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does David feel he did not live fully in his youth in Chapter 22?
2. In Chapter 26, how many phantoms are discussed?
3. In Chapter 22, what happens after David's father's death?
4. What is something the examiners discuss in Chapter 29?
5. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)