|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, who does the author say did most of the editing of this novel?
(a) His brother.
(b) The publisher.
(d) His editor.
2. In Chapter 14, what rank do the prebriefer's have?
3. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the man's mother?
(a) She attempted suicide.
(b) She ran away from home.
(c) She caught a terrible disease.
(d) She was in a car accident.
4. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
(a) Business men.
(b) Teacher and administrator jobs.
(c) Police and fire jobs.
5. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say about getting reposted?
(a) Single men are reposted the most.
(b) Women are mainly reposted.
(c) The IRS only reposts people they dislike.
(d) Everyone wants to be reposted.
6. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
(a) As lacking any motivation.
(b) As excelling in literary arts.
(c) As being shy.
(d) As being an over-achiever.
7. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
(a) A law enforcement agency.
(b) Nothing at all.
(c) A part of the defense organization.
(d) A minor subgroup of a different agency.
8. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
(a) They are government run.
(b) They are getting larger.
(c) They are frightening to him.
(d) They are everywhere.
9. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
10. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) David Foster.
(b) David Wallace.
(c) David Foster Wallace.
(d) Foster Wallace.
11. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
(a) It makes it worse.
(b) He doesn't even try to hide the sweating.
(c) It works.
(d) It works about half of the time.
12. How does Claude's ranking compare with Reynold's ranking in Chapter 2?
(a) They are ranked differently and can't be compared.
(b) Claude's is higher.
(c) Claude's is lower.
(d) Claude's is the same.
13. Why does the author quote Mr. Glendenning in Chapter 9?
(a) As a fellow writer.
(b) As an authority figure.
(c) As a liar.
(d) As a fan.
14. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her mother's boyfriend.
15. In Chapter 5, how do other people react to the man?
(a) They love him.
(b) They dislike him.
(c) They are confused by him.
(d) They tolerate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
2. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
3. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
4. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
5. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)