|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author identify the men in Chapter 3?
(a) He uses their middle names.
(b) He doesn't.
(c) He just describes them physically.
(d) He uses their last names.
2. What is described in Chapter 10?
(a) Bureaucratic systems.
(b) Influential literature.
(c) Government hierarchy.
(d) The IRS.
3. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Physical violence in government workers.
(b) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
(c) Side effects of medicine.
(d) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
4. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
5. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
(a) As being shy.
(b) As excelling in literary arts.
(c) As being an over-achiever.
(d) As lacking any motivation.
6. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
(a) It works.
(b) It works about half of the time.
(c) He doesn't even try to hide the sweating.
(d) It makes it worse.
7. Why does Stecyk appear trustworthy in Chapter 12?
(a) His father is with him.
(b) He has legitimate materials from the post office.
(c) He is wearing a suit.
(d) He doesn't appear trusthworthy.
8. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
(a) They are government run.
(b) They are everywhere.
(c) They are frightening to him.
(d) They are getting larger.
9. In Chapter 18, why do agents use Desk Names?
(a) They don't use Desk Names.
(b) Because they have to.
(c) To feel powerful.
(d) To play tricks on each other.
10. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
(a) Being left out of gossip.
(b) Not knowing the new laws.
(c) Forgetting his money.
(d) Wearing the wrong thing.
11. What does Stecyk deliver in Chapter 12?
(a) ZIP code books.
(b) Phone books.
(c) Business directories.
(d) Change of address cards.
12. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(a) In a secret safe.
(c) Computer files.
(d) His wallet.
13. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about financial gain relating to this novel?
(a) That it is not the reason why he wrote it.
(b) That he has already made money off the book before publishing it.
(c) That he hopes to make more money than his previous book.
(d) That it is the only reason why he wrote it.
14. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The role of government.
(b) The presence of silence.
(c) The secrecy of men.
(d) The hidden motivations of people.
15. What are Desk Names, as defined in Chapter 18?
(a) Made up names.
(b) Government given names.
(c) The agents' middle names.
(d) Inverted last names.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what opinion does the narrator have about Claude's psychic ability?
2. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
3. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
4. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
5. What textual feature does Chapter 9 have that is missing from the other chapters?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)