|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
(a) They have better interviewers.
(b) They are trained actors.
(c) They are naturals.
(d) No one gives an interview from the heart.
2. In Chapter 9, who does the author say did most of the editing of this novel?
(a) The publisher.
(b) His brother.
(d) His editor.
3. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her mother's boyfriend.
(c) Her mother.
4. What does RECs stand for?
(a) Random Evaluations Centers.
(b) Regional Examination Centers.
(c) Risk and Evaluations Centers.
(d) Regional Exploratory Centers.
5. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) There is no representation of the questions.
(b) He replaced them with the letter Q.
(c) He puts all the questions in italics.
(d) He puts all the questions in bold.
6. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
7. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(b) The public.
8. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
(c) Worry about his love life.
(d) Thinking about sweat attacks.
9. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It doesn't.
(b) It creates a strong setting.
(c) It describes the main characters.
(d) It discusses the major themes.
10. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
11. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of overgrown grass.
(b) Because of a robbery.
(c) Because of lost mail.
(d) Because of a barking dog.
12. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
13. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
(a) As being annoying.
(b) As being harmful to his personal life.
(c) As being helpful in work.
(d) As being random.
14. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
(a) He doesn't even try to hide the sweating.
(b) It works about half of the time.
(c) It makes it worse.
(d) It works.
15. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
(a) His feet.
(b) No part is unaffected.
(c) His hair.
(d) His back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
2. In Chapter 18, how does Glendenning feel about Desk Names?
3. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
4. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
5. In Chapter 6, what upsets Dean most about his relationship with his girlfriend?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)