|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
(a) They are frightening to him.
(b) They are everywhere.
(c) They are getting larger.
(d) They are government run.
2. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
(a) A baby.
(b) An adult.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A child.
3. Why is Lane outside of the office in Chapter 16?
(a) He is going to court.
(b) He is in the office.
(c) It is a lunch break.
(d) It is a weekend.
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
(b) That it closely resembles a memoir.
(c) That it is literary fiction.
(d) That it is historical fiction.
5. How is Chapter 17 presented?
(a) As a poem.
(b) As an interview.
(c) As a newspaper article.
(d) As a quote.
6. How old is the man in Chapter 5?
(a) A child.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A baby.
(d) An adult.
7. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
(a) A lack of Civics classes in school.
(b) Too many government employees.
(c) Not enough private sector jobs.
(d) A lack of immigration controls.
8. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) He replaced them with the letter Q.
(b) He puts all the questions in bold.
(c) He puts all the questions in italics.
(d) There is no representation of the questions.
9. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
10. Why does the author quote Mr. Glendenning in Chapter 9?
(a) As a fan.
(b) As a liar.
(c) As a fellow writer.
(d) As an authority figure.
11. How is Chapter 11 constructed?
(a) As an interview.
(b) As a script.
(c) As a list.
(d) As a case study.
12. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The role of government.
(b) The hidden motivations of people.
(c) The presence of silence.
(d) The secrecy of men.
13. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
(a) Because of his memo.
(b) Because of his power.
(c) Because of his interview.
(d) Because of his quitting.
14. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
(a) Government society.
(b) Information society.
(c) Entertainment society.
(d) Game society.
15. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
(a) No part is unaffected.
(b) His back.
(c) His feet.
(d) His hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
2. Why does the author suggest researching government documents in Chapter 9?
3. How does the author present the quoted interviews in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
5. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)