|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, why do agents use Desk Names?
(a) Because they have to.
(b) To feel powerful.
(c) To play tricks on each other.
(d) They don't use Desk Names.
2. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
3. What does RECs stand for?
(a) Regional Examination Centers.
(b) Random Evaluations Centers.
(c) Risk and Evaluations Centers.
(d) Regional Exploratory Centers.
4. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the birth of his son.
(b) For the death of a loved one.
(c) For the presidential election.
(d) For the changes in tax law.
5. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
6. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say was the basis of IRS agent performance review in the past?
(a) The amount of money collected.
(b) Their ability to pay their own taxes.
(c) The amount of vacation days they did not take.
(d) The speed at which they finished returns.
7. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
(a) About a business disaster.
(b) About a safety flaw.
(c) About a hiring problem.
(d) About a financial crisis.
8. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
(b) Side effects of medicine.
(c) Physical violence in government workers.
(d) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
9. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
(a) Thinking about sweat attacks.
(b) Worry about his love life.
10. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
(a) By full name.
(b) Most of them are not identified.
(c) By job title.
(d) By social security number.
11. How does the author present the quoted interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) There is no order.
(b) By social security number.
(c) By date of birth.
(d) By last name.
12. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
(a) They have better interviewers.
(b) They are trained actors.
(c) They are naturals.
(d) No one gives an interview from the heart.
13. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
(a) Game society.
(b) Government society.
(c) Information society.
(d) Entertainment society.
14. Why is the taxpayer being interviewed in Chapter 21?
(a) To play a trick on them.
(b) To confuse them.
(c) To return money to them.
(d) To get them to pay taxes.
15. How are the interviews in Chapter 14 described?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claude Sylvanshine work for?
2. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
4. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
5. Why does the author quote Mr. Glendenning in Chapter 9?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)