|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the character who sweats in Chapter 13?
2. In Chapter 9, what year does the author say it is?
3. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
(a) They are getting larger.
(b) They are frightening to him.
(c) They are government run.
(d) They are everywhere.
4. How does Claude travel in Chapter 2?
(a) By plane.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By boat.
5. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say about getting reposted?
(a) The IRS only reposts people they dislike.
(b) Everyone wants to be reposted.
(c) Single men are reposted the most.
(d) Women are mainly reposted.
6. What does the character in Chapter 13 do when a sweat attack begins in public?
(a) He makes a joke.
(b) He takes off his shirt.
(c) He lies on the ground.
(d) He tries to hide.
7. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
(a) They have better interviewers.
(b) They are trained actors.
(c) No one gives an interview from the heart.
(d) They are naturals.
8. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the death of a loved one.
(b) For the presidential election.
(c) For the birth of his son.
(d) For the changes in tax law.
9. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The hidden motivations of people.
(b) The role of government.
(c) The presence of silence.
(d) The secrecy of men.
10. How is Chapter 11 constructed?
(a) As a script.
(b) As an interview.
(c) As a list.
(d) As a case study.
11. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) David Foster.
(b) David Foster Wallace.
(c) David Wallace.
(d) Foster Wallace.
12. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(c) The public.
13. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
14. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) American citizens.
(b) New hires.
(c) The president.
(d) Business owners.
15. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
(a) As being annoying.
(b) As being harmful to his personal life.
(c) As being random.
(d) As being helpful in work.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
2. In Chapter 14, what rank do the prebriefer's have?
3. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
4. What type of interviews has Stecyk prepared in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)