|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
(b) That it is literary fiction.
(c) That it is historical fiction.
(d) That it closely resembles a memoir.
2. How is Chapter 11 constructed?
(a) As a script.
(b) As a list.
(c) As an interview.
(d) As a case study.
3. In Chapter 18, why do agents use Desk Names?
(a) They don't use Desk Names.
(b) Because they have to.
(c) To play tricks on each other.
(d) To feel powerful.
4. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(a) His wallet.
(c) Computer files.
(d) In a secret safe.
5. Who does Claude Sylvanshine work for?
(a) The CIA.
(b) The IRS.
(c) The ATF.
(d) The FBI.
6. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
(a) Police and fire jobs.
(b) Teacher and administrator jobs.
(d) Business men.
7. In Chapter 14, what rank do the prebriefer's have?
8. What does the character in Chapter 13 do when a sweat attack begins in public?
(a) He tries to hide.
(b) He makes a joke.
(c) He takes off his shirt.
(d) He lies on the ground.
9. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is the IRS' biggest strength?
(a) Being run by men.
(b) Being a government agency.
(c) Being dull.
(d) Being educated.
10. What are Desk Names, as defined in Chapter 18?
(a) Made up names.
(b) Government given names.
(c) The agents' middle names.
(d) Inverted last names.
11. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
(b) Thinking about sweat attacks.
(c) Worry about his love life.
12. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the presidential election.
(b) For the death of a loved one.
(c) For the changes in tax law.
(d) For the birth of his son.
13. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her mother's boyfriend.
14. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say about getting reposted?
(a) The IRS only reposts people they dislike.
(b) Women are mainly reposted.
(c) Everyone wants to be reposted.
(d) Single men are reposted the most.
15. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) American citizens.
(b) New hires.
(c) Business owners.
(d) The president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Lane outside of the office in Chapter 16?
3. What feeling does the author add to Mr. Glendenning's quote in Chapter 9?
4. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)