|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does the author add to Mr. Glendenning's quote in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
(a) Teacher and administrator jobs.
(b) Business men.
(c) Police and fire jobs.
3. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) He replaced them with the letter Q.
(b) He puts all the questions in italics.
(c) He puts all the questions in bold.
(d) There is no representation of the questions.
4. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say about getting reposted?
(a) Single men are reposted the most.
(b) The IRS only reposts people they dislike.
(c) Everyone wants to be reposted.
(d) Women are mainly reposted.
5. What does the character in Chapter 13 do when a sweat attack begins in public?
(a) He makes a joke.
(b) He tries to hide.
(c) He lies on the ground.
(d) He takes off his shirt.
6. In Chapter 18, how does Glendenning feel about Desk Names?
(a) He fears them.
(b) He doesn't allow them.
(c) He created them.
(d) He supports them.
7. How is Chapter 17 presented?
(a) As a newspaper article.
(b) As a quote.
(c) As an interview.
(d) As a poem.
8. How are the interviews in Chapter 14 described?
9. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of a barking dog.
(b) Because of lost mail.
(c) Because of a robbery.
(d) Because of overgrown grass.
10. How does Stecyk's neighbors react to him in Chapter 12?
(a) They laugh at him.
(b) They are pleased.
(c) They run away from him.
(d) They are annoyed.
11. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(d) The public.
12. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
13. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) New hires.
(b) Business owners.
(c) American citizens.
(d) The president.
14. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It discusses the major themes.
(b) It doesn't.
(c) It creates a strong setting.
(d) It describes the main characters.
15. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The role of government.
(b) The hidden motivations of people.
(c) The secrecy of men.
(d) The presence of silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
2. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
3. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
4. In Chapter 10, who justifies the role of large organizations?
5. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the man's mother?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)