|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
2. In Chapter 18, why do agents use Desk Names?
(a) They don't use Desk Names.
(b) To play tricks on each other.
(c) Because they have to.
(d) To feel powerful.
3. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) There is no representation of the questions.
(b) He puts all the questions in bold.
(c) He replaced them with the letter Q.
(d) He puts all the questions in italics.
4. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
(a) Because he worked for the government.
(b) Because he moved to a new country.
(c) He was not given a new social security number.
(d) Because he lost his.
5. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say was the basis of IRS agent performance review in the past?
(a) The amount of vacation days they did not take.
(b) The speed at which they finished returns.
(c) Their ability to pay their own taxes.
(d) The amount of money collected.
6. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of overgrown grass.
(b) Because of lost mail.
(c) Because of a barking dog.
(d) Because of a robbery.
7. In Chapter 9, who does the author say did most of the editing of this novel?
(a) His editor.
(b) The publisher.
(d) His brother.
8. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) American citizens.
(b) New hires.
(c) The president.
(d) Business owners.
9. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It doesn't.
(b) It creates a strong setting.
(c) It describes the main characters.
(d) It discusses the major themes.
10. Why does the author quote Mr. Glendenning in Chapter 9?
(a) As a fan.
(b) As an authority figure.
(c) As a fellow writer.
(d) As a liar.
11. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
12. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
(b) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
(c) Side effects of medicine.
(d) Physical violence in government workers.
13. What type of interviews has Stecyk prepared in Chapter 14?
(a) Videotaped interviews.
(b) Notated interviews.
(c) Voice recorded interviews.
(d) Translated interviews.
14. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(b) In a secret safe.
(c) His wallet.
(d) Computer files.
15. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
2. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
3. Who does Claude Sylvanshine work for?
4. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
5. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)