|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it is literary fiction.
(b) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
(c) That it closely resembles a memoir.
(d) That it is historical fiction.
2. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
3. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
(a) Because he moved to a new country.
(b) He was not given a new social security number.
(c) Because he lost his.
(d) Because he worked for the government.
4. How do higher temperatures affect the character in Chapter 13?
(a) They cause him to panic.
(b) Sometimes they make him sweat more.
(c) They make him tired.
(d) Sometimes they make him sweat less.
5. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(b) The public.
6. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the death of a loved one.
(b) For the birth of his son.
(c) For the presidential election.
(d) For the changes in tax law.
7. Why does Stecyk appear trustworthy in Chapter 12?
(a) He has legitimate materials from the post office.
(b) His father is with him.
(c) He is wearing a suit.
(d) He doesn't appear trusthworthy.
8. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of lost mail.
(b) Because of overgrown grass.
(c) Because of a robbery.
(d) Because of a barking dog.
9. In Chapter 7, who gets on a the minibus?
10. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) There is no representation of the questions.
(b) He puts all the questions in italics.
(c) He puts all the questions in bold.
(d) He replaced them with the letter Q.
11. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
(a) Nothing at all.
(b) A minor subgroup of a different agency.
(c) A law enforcement agency.
(d) A part of the defense organization.
12. How is Chapter 11 constructed?
(a) As a script.
(b) As an interview.
(c) As a case study.
(d) As a list.
13. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
14. What is Merrill's middle name?
15. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) New hires.
(b) American citizens.
(c) Business owners.
(d) The president.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does RECs stand for?
2. In Chapter 2, where does Claude allude to previously working?
3. How does Claude know Reynolds?
4. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
5. Why does the author suggest researching government documents in Chapter 9?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)