|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
(a) By social security number.
(b) By job title.
(c) Most of them are not identified.
(d) By full name.
2. In Chapter 5, how do other people react to the man?
(a) They tolerate him.
(b) They dislike him.
(c) They love him.
(d) They are confused by him.
3. In Chapter 2, what ranking does Reynolds hold?
4. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
(a) A law enforcement agency.
(b) A part of the defense organization.
(c) A minor subgroup of a different agency.
(d) Nothing at all.
5. In Chapter 13, what does the character try to attribute his sweating to?
6. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
(b) Physical violence in government workers.
(c) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
(d) Side effects of medicine.
7. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
(a) Because of his quitting.
(b) Because of his memo.
(c) Because of his interview.
(d) Because of his power.
9. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
10. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it closely resembles a memoir.
(b) That it is literary fiction.
(c) That it is historical fiction.
(d) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
11. How do higher temperatures affect the character in Chapter 13?
(a) They cause him to panic.
(b) Sometimes they make him sweat more.
(c) Sometimes they make him sweat less.
(d) They make him tired.
12. Why does the author suggest researching government documents in Chapter 9?
(a) To kill time.
(b) To increase understanding.
(c) To undermine elected officials.
(d) To find a job.
13. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
(a) A child.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A baby.
(d) An adult.
14. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
15. In Chapter 18, how does Glendenning feel about Desk Names?
(a) He fears them.
(b) He doesn't allow them.
(c) He created them.
(d) He supports them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the character in Chapter 13 do when a sweat attack begins in public?
2. What are Desk Names, as defined in Chapter 18?
3. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
4. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)