|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) Foster Wallace.
(b) David Foster Wallace.
(c) David Wallace.
(d) David Foster.
2. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) American citizens.
(b) Business owners.
(c) New hires.
(d) The president.
3. In Chapter 5, how do other people react to the man?
(a) They love him.
(b) They dislike him.
(c) They are confused by him.
(d) They tolerate him.
4. Why is the taxpayer being interviewed in Chapter 21?
(a) To play a trick on them.
(b) To return money to them.
(c) To confuse them.
(d) To get them to pay taxes.
5. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
6. How do higher temperatures affect the character in Chapter 13?
(a) Sometimes they make him sweat less.
(b) They cause him to panic.
(c) They make him tired.
(d) Sometimes they make him sweat more.
7. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
8. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
(a) By full name.
(b) By job title.
(c) Most of them are not identified.
(d) By social security number.
9. In Chapter 9, what year does the author say it is?
10. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the birth of his son.
(b) For the death of a loved one.
(c) For the changes in tax law.
(d) For the presidential election.
11. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
(a) About a safety flaw.
(b) About a financial crisis.
(c) About a hiring problem.
(d) About a business disaster.
12. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
13. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it is historical fiction.
(b) That it is literary fiction.
(c) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
(d) That it closely resembles a memoir.
14. What does Chapter 4 consist of?
(a) A page from a play.
(b) A news article.
(c) A magazine cover.
(d) A broadcast edit.
15. In Chapter 2, where does Claude allude to previously working?
(b) Washington D.C.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
3. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
4. In Chapter 15, what opinion does the narrator have about Claude's psychic ability?
5. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)