|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of a barking dog.
(b) Because of lost mail.
(c) Because of overgrown grass.
(d) Because of a robbery.
2. What does Stecyk deliver in Chapter 12?
(a) Change of address cards.
(b) Business directories.
(c) ZIP code books.
(d) Phone books.
3. How do higher temperatures affect the character in Chapter 13?
(a) They cause him to panic.
(b) Sometimes they make him sweat more.
(c) Sometimes they make him sweat less.
(d) They make him tired.
4. How does Claude know Reynolds?
(a) They used to be roommates.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They used to work together.
(d) They lived on the same block growing up.
5. Why does the author quote Mr. Glendenning in Chapter 9?
(a) As a fellow writer.
(b) As an authority figure.
(c) As a liar.
(d) As a fan.
6. Why does Stecyk appear trustworthy in Chapter 12?
(a) He is wearing a suit.
(b) His father is with him.
(c) He has legitimate materials from the post office.
(d) He doesn't appear trusthworthy.
7. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her mother's boyfriend.
(d) Her friend.
8. In Chapter 10, who justifies the role of large organizations?
(a) The author himself.
(b) The government.
(c) The organizations themselves.
(d) No one.
9. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
(a) A baby.
(b) An adult.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A child.
10. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
(a) Worry about his love life.
(b) Thinking about sweat attacks.
11. In Chapter 9, who does the author say did most of the editing of this novel?
(a) His brother.
(b) His editor.
(d) The publisher.
12. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It discusses the major themes.
(b) It creates a strong setting.
(c) It doesn't.
(d) It describes the main characters.
13. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(d) The public.
14. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(a) His wallet.
(b) In a secret safe.
(c) Computer files.
15. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
(a) A lack of immigration controls.
(b) Too many government employees.
(c) A lack of Civics classes in school.
(d) Not enough private sector jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
3. In Chapter 14, what does one interviewee say was the basis of IRS agent performance review in the past?
4. What is Merrill's middle name?
5. In Chapter 2, where does Claude allude to previously working?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)