|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claude know Reynolds?
(a) They used to be roommates.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They lived on the same block growing up.
(d) They used to work together.
2. In Chapter 21, what does the interviewer seem most interested in?
(a) Upholding tax law.
(b) Getting out of work early.
(c) Making a new friend.
(d) Collecting money.
3. In Chapter 9, what year does the author say it is?
4. What textual feature does Chapter 9 have that is missing from the other chapters?
(c) In-text citations.
5. What does the author say is a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) The book.
(b) The book's title.
(c) The book's reputation.
(d) The book's disclaimer.
6. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
(a) An adult.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A baby.
(d) A child.
7. How is Chapter 17 presented?
(a) As a quote.
(b) As a newspaper article.
(c) As an interview.
(d) As a poem.
8. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) David Foster Wallace.
(b) David Foster.
(c) Foster Wallace.
(d) David Wallace.
9. How does Claude travel in Chapter 2?
(a) By boat.
(b) By plane.
(c) By train.
(d) By car.
10. How does the author identify the men in Chapter 3?
(a) He just describes them physically.
(b) He uses their middle names.
(c) He uses their last names.
(d) He doesn't.
11. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(b) His wallet.
(c) Computer files.
(d) In a secret safe.
12. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he wants to make her mad.
(b) Because she is pregnant.
(c) Because he loves her.
(d) Because he is afraid to go home.
13. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author say is good at hiding things?
(a) Complicated things.
(c) Ugly things.
(d) Large things.
14. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
(a) As being shy.
(b) As being an over-achiever.
(c) As excelling in literary arts.
(d) As lacking any motivation.
15. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The role of government.
(b) The presence of silence.
(c) The hidden motivations of people.
(d) The secrecy of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
2. In Chapter 6, what upsets Dean most about his relationship with his girlfriend?
3. How does Stecyk's neighbors react to him in Chapter 12?
4. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is the IRS' biggest strength?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)