|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
(a) His back.
(b) No part is unaffected.
(c) His feet.
(d) His hair.
2. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
(a) They have better interviewers.
(b) They are naturals.
(c) They are trained actors.
(d) No one gives an interview from the heart.
3. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
4. In Chapter 13, what does the character try to attribute his sweating to?
5. What does the character in Chapter 13 do when a sweat attack begins in public?
(a) He lies on the ground.
(b) He tries to hide.
(c) He takes off his shirt.
(d) He makes a joke.
6. In Chapter 21, what does the interviewer seem most interested in?
(a) Collecting money.
(b) Upholding tax law.
(c) Getting out of work early.
(d) Making a new friend.
7. How does Claude's ranking compare with Reynold's ranking in Chapter 2?
(a) They are ranked differently and can't be compared.
(b) Claude's is the same.
(c) Claude's is higher.
(d) Claude's is lower.
8. How does Claude know Reynolds?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They lived on the same block growing up.
(c) They used to be roommates.
(d) They used to work together.
9. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
(a) Police and fire jobs.
(c) Teacher and administrator jobs.
(d) Business men.
10. How old is the character who sweats in Chapter 13?
11. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
12. In Chapter 9, what year does the author say it is?
13. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he is afraid to go home.
(b) Because he loves her.
(c) Because she is pregnant.
(d) Because he wants to make her mad.
14. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
(a) Some previous IRS protocols.
(b) The head of the IRS.
(c) The previous president.
(d) The role of women in the IRS.
15. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) The president.
(b) American citizens.
(c) New hires.
(d) Business owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
3. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
4. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
5. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author say is good at hiding things?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)