|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
2. What textual feature does Chapter 9 have that is missing from the other chapters?
(b) In-text citations.
3. What does the author say is a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) The book's reputation.
(b) The book's disclaimer.
(c) The book.
(d) The book's title.
4. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
(a) Not knowing the new laws.
(b) Forgetting his money.
(c) Wearing the wrong thing.
(d) Being left out of gossip.
5. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The hidden motivations of people.
(b) The presence of silence.
(c) The secrecy of men.
(d) The role of government.
6. Why does Stecyk appear trustworthy in Chapter 12?
(a) His father is with him.
(b) He doesn't appear trusthworthy.
(c) He is wearing a suit.
(d) He has legitimate materials from the post office.
7. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
(a) As being shy.
(b) As lacking any motivation.
(c) As being an over-achiever.
(d) As excelling in literary arts.
8. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
9. What type of psychic is Claude?
(a) A fraud psychic.
(b) A fact psychic.
(c) An emotion psychic.
(d) An animal psychic.
10. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
11. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) The president.
(b) Business owners.
(c) New hires.
(d) American citizens.
12. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
(a) As being harmful to his personal life.
(b) As being annoying.
(c) As being random.
(d) As being helpful in work.
13. In Chapter 18, how does Glendenning feel about Desk Names?
(a) He doesn't allow them.
(b) He created them.
(c) He fears them.
(d) He supports them.
14. In Chapter 15, what opinion does the narrator have about Claude's psychic ability?
(a) The narrator does not believe in the psychic ability.
(b) The narrator says nothing about the psychic ability.
(c) The narrator is neutral toward the psychic ability.
(d) The narrator believes in the psychic ability.
15. What is described in Chapter 10?
(a) The IRS.
(b) Influential literature.
(c) Bureaucratic systems.
(d) Government hierarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude's ranking compare with Reynold's ranking in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
3. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
4. What feeling does the author add to Mr. Glendenning's quote in Chapter 9?
5. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)