|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) He puts all the questions in italics.
(b) There is no representation of the questions.
(c) He puts all the questions in bold.
(d) He replaced them with the letter Q.
2. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
(a) As being annoying.
(b) As being harmful to his personal life.
(c) As being random.
(d) As being helpful in work.
3. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It discusses the major themes.
(b) It creates a strong setting.
(c) It doesn't.
(d) It describes the main characters.
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about financial gain relating to this novel?
(a) That it is the only reason why he wrote it.
(b) That it is not the reason why he wrote it.
(c) That he has already made money off the book before publishing it.
(d) That he hopes to make more money than his previous book.
5. What are Desk Names, as defined in Chapter 18?
(a) Made up names.
(b) Government given names.
(c) Inverted last names.
(d) The agents' middle names.
6. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
(a) Because of lost mail.
(b) Because of a robbery.
(c) Because of overgrown grass.
(d) Because of a barking dog.
7. How is Chapter 17 presented?
(a) As a quote.
(b) As a newspaper article.
(c) As an interview.
(d) As a poem.
8. What does Stecyk deliver in Chapter 12?
(a) Change of address cards.
(b) ZIP code books.
(c) Business directories.
(d) Phone books.
9. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
(a) It works about half of the time.
(b) It makes it worse.
(c) He doesn't even try to hide the sweating.
(d) It works.
10. How does Claude know Reynolds?
(a) They used to be roommates.
(b) They used to work together.
(c) They lived on the same block growing up.
(d) They are cousins.
11. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(a) Her mother's boyfriend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her friend.
12. Who does Claude Sylvanshine work for?
(a) The ATF.
(b) The CIA.
(c) The FBI.
(d) The IRS.
13. In Chapter 9, who does the author say did most of the editing of this novel?
(a) The publisher.
(b) His editor.
(d) His brother.
14. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
(a) He was not given a new social security number.
(b) Because he moved to a new country.
(c) Because he lost his.
(d) Because he worked for the government.
15. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
(a) Game society.
(b) Government society.
(c) Entertainment society.
(d) Information society.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what upsets Dean most about his relationship with his girlfriend?
2. In Chapter 2, where does Claude allude to previously working?
3. How does Stecyk's neighbors react to him in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the man's mother?
5. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)