|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
(b) In a secret safe.
(c) His wallet.
(d) Computer files.
2. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
(a) Too many government employees.
(b) A lack of immigration controls.
(c) Not enough private sector jobs.
(d) A lack of Civics classes in school.
3. In Chapter 7, who gets on a the minibus?
4. In Chapter 19, how are the speakers identified?
(a) By job title.
(b) Most of them are not identified.
(c) By social security number.
(d) By full name.
5. In Chapter 13, what does the author suggest causes the sweat attacks?
(a) Worry about his love life.
(c) Thinking about sweat attacks.
6. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) He replaced them with the letter Q.
(b) He puts all the questions in italics.
(c) There is no representation of the questions.
(d) He puts all the questions in bold.
7. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
(a) About a financial crisis.
(b) About a hiring problem.
(c) About a business disaster.
(d) About a safety flaw.
8. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the man's mother?
(a) She was in a car accident.
(b) She caught a terrible disease.
(c) She attempted suicide.
(d) She ran away from home.
9. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(b) The public.
10. In Chapter 10, who justifies the role of large organizations?
(a) The author himself.
(b) No one.
(c) The government.
(d) The organizations themselves.
11. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
(a) He was not given a new social security number.
(b) Because he moved to a new country.
(c) Because he worked for the government.
(d) Because he lost his.
12. What textual feature does Chapter 9 have that is missing from the other chapters?
(a) In-text citations.
13. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
14. How does Stecyk's neighbors react to him in Chapter 12?
(a) They are annoyed.
(b) They run away from him.
(c) They are pleased.
(d) They laugh at him.
15. How does Claude know Reynolds?
(a) They used to work together.
(b) They used to be roommates.
(c) They lived on the same block growing up.
(d) They are cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Lane outside of the office in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
4. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
5. What does RECs stand for?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)