|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 14 through 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(b) A close friend asked him to change it.
(c) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
(d) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
2. What position did Dorothy's father hold in Hong Kong?
(a) He was a prominent attorney.
(b) He was an established merchant.
(c) Regional General Secretary.
(d) Colonial Governor.
3. What piece of furniture does Kitty sit on throughout her discussion with Charlie at the curio shop?
(a) An antique divan.
(b) The floor.
(c) A bed.
(d) A sandalwood chest.
4. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A love note.
(b) A drink of brandy.
(c) A comforting shawl.
(d) A small photograph of himself.
5. Often, why doesn't Walter respond to casual remarks that Kitty makes?
(a) Small talk annoys him.
(b) He doesn't hear her.
(c) He has nothing to say.
(d) He wants to hurt her feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Doris when she becomes engaged?
2. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
3. How old is Charlie?
4. What color are Dorothy's eyes?
5. After Kitty appears so radiant (shortly after commencing her affair with Charlie), what do her friends assume?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)