|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6 through 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
(a) The name was misprinted in the first edition and he decided to leave it with the new spelling.
(b) He found over time he disliked the original name and it didn't fit the character.
(c) Several people with that name brought an action against Maugham.
(d) A close friend asked him to change it.
2. What is Kitty's first impression of Walter?
(a) He is very jovial and out-going.
(b) He has a nasty temper.
(c) He is very good at making witty remarks.
(d) He is very shy and quiet.
3. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(b) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(c) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(d) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
4. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
(a) A delivery person.
(b) Kitty's husband.
(c) Kitty's pet dog.
(d) The amah, or Chinese servant.
5. How does Mrs. Garstin feel towards Mr. Garstin?
(a) She despises him.
(b) She feels a platonic friendship for him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She is indifferent to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Doris' fiance?
2. How old is Charlie?
3. What is Mr. Garstin's impression of Walter after talking with him for some time?
4. What is the first thing to startle Kitty in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. After being married for some time, how does Kitty feel towards Walter?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)