|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 28 through 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Charlie think disturbed him and Kitty during their rendezvous in Chapter 1?
(a) The amah, or Chinese servant.
(b) Kitty's husband.
(c) A delivery person.
(d) Kitty's pet dog.
2. Why do Walter and Kitty plan their wedding so quickly?
(a) Kitty is afraid he'll change his mind.
(b) Mrs. Garstin forces them to marry before it gets too hot.
(c) Walter has to return to China in the fall.
(d) They are madly in love and don't want to wait.
3. What is the area called where Kitty's house is?
(a) The Peak.
(b) Providence Heights.
(c) Happy Valley.
(d) Victoria Road.
4. When Kitty goes to tell Charlie of Walter's ultimatum, what surprises her about his appearance?
(a) He is dressed for a polo game.
(b) He is very informally attired.
(c) He is wearing spectacles.
(d) He is wearing a pin that his wife gave him.
5. During dinner, what compliment does Charlie pay Walter?
(a) He says Walter is extremely funny.
(b) He says Walter is an excellent bridge player.
(c) He says Walter is a great reader.
(d) He says Walter is very conscientious about his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
2. What relevance does Charlie feel that love has to marriage?
3. What causes Kitty to marry Walter Fane in a panic?
4. Once he knows fully of Walter's ultimatum, what does Charlie think of Walter's offer?
5. What does Kitty think of Walter's dancing ability?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)