|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 28 through 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how does Kitty find out that Walter has been home?
(a) She sees his gloves on the entry table.
(b) Walter tells her.
(c) A neighbor tells her.
(d) The servant boy tells her.
2. Where does Kitty's family go for their summer holiday?
(a) A bustling village by the sea.
(b) A quiet, cheap place in the country.
(c) They go abroad to different countries.
(d) They stay in London.
3. Which Italian city was Somerset Maugham staying in when he was inspired to write The Painted Veil?
4. Where does Kitty meet Charlie for the first time?
(a) In a busy antique store in Hong Kong.
(b) At a dinner held at his house.
(c) At a government ball.
(d) At the dinner party of a mutual friend.
5. After Kitty leaves her heated discussion with Charlie in Chapter 26, what is Charlie's first thought?
(a) He is angry at her accusations.
(b) He is happy with how they ended and congratulates himself.
(c) He is relieved and wants a brandy.
(d) He is worried his wife will find out and immediately phones her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie think that Walter would do if he found out about the affair going on between himself and Kitty?
2. Why is Kitty initially surprised by Walter's proposal of marriage?
3. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
4. What startles the servants accompanying Kitty on the road to Mei-tan-fu?
5. What dress did Kitty wear on the first evening she meets Charlie?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)