|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 28 through 39.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Garstin persuade Mr. Garstin to do something he isn't inclined to do?
(a) She nags him until he relents in exhaustion.
(b) She gives him the silent treatment until he gives in.
(c) She begs and pleads until he cannot resist her entreaties.
(d) She makes logical arguments to bring him around to her point-of-view.
2. What is Waddington's affinity for liquor?
(a) He enjoys liquor only sparingly.
(b) He uses liquor medicinally.
(c) He loves to drink and is frequently a little drunk.
(d) He never drinks and despises liquor.
3. What abruptly awakens Kitty during her first night in Mei-tan-fu?
(a) Walter rousing her.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) The crow of a bird.
(d) The crying of a servant.
4. When Charlie and Kitty adjourn to the sitting room, what does he try to give her?
(a) A love note.
(b) A small photograph of himself.
(c) A comforting shawl.
(d) A drink of brandy.
5. What does Charlie give as his number one reason for "hushing up" their affair?
(a) He doesn't want it to hurt his career.
(b) He's worried about being excommunicated.
(c) He doesn't want Dorothy to find out.
(d) He doesn't want his children to find out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mrs. Garstin?
2. When Walter found out about Kitty and Charlie, why didn't he break into the room and fight Charlie?
3. Why doesn't Walter like to answer questions about himself?
4. What one nightly tradition does Walter neglect the night before Kitty meets Charlie in Chapter 20?
5. Why did Maugham decide to change the last name of his main character in the novel?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)