|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Emily's gravestone installed?
2. What does James do when he visits Chris?
3. What does Melanie find in Emily's room?
4. What memory does Emily have after being intimate with Chris?
5. Why does Emily agree to appease to Chris' desires?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris react to Steve's attempt to commit suicide?
2. Why does Michael decide to testify for the defense?
3. How does Emily begin her day on the day of her suicide?
4. How does Detective Marrone present evidence at the trial?
5. What kind of memories does Emily begin to have months before she dies?
6. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
7. What kind of woman has Melanie become as she takes the stand at the trial?
8. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
9. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
10. How does Michael's decision to testify for the defense affect his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Memories have just as important a role in this novel as dreams do. What memories does Emily recover, and how? Why did she repress that memory anyway? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)