|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jordan respond to Delaney's actions involving Chris?
2. Where do Emily and Chris decide to have their first intimate time?
3. Whom does Selena meet with?
4. What kind of relationship does Gus have with Michael?
5. Why does Emily agree to appease to Chris' desires?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selena look for a doctor to confirm Emily's pregnancy?
2. How does Gus react to James forgetting to mention Chris in an acceptance speech?
3. What does Jordan get Melanie to reveal while she is testifying?
4. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
5. Why does Michael decide to testify for the defense?
6. How does Chris see the date of jury selection?
7. What kind of woman has Melanie become as she takes the stand at the trial?
8. How does Detective Marrone present evidence at the trial?
9. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
10. What does Chris' decision to tell his father not to visit him again reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Novels usually show a transformation in characters through a series of trials and events. In "The Pact," almost every character is changed by the events they experience. How are characters transformed by the events that transpire, and is it a good or bad change? Why or why not? Choose two characters to focus on when answering that question. Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
High school kids are known for making assumptions of one another, and it is no different in "The Pact." What do students assume about Chris and Emily? How does Chris react to these assumptions? How do these assumptions influence their relationship? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)