|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Emily commit suicide?
2. Whom does Michael agree to have coffee with after a visit to the jail?
3. Who testifies after Marrone?
4. What does Steve give Chris while in prison?
5. What does Jordan stress in his summation at the end of the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gus unable to say a proper goodbye to Michael?
2. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
3. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
4. Why does Chris refuse to talk about the night of Emily's death with Michael?
5. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
6. How does Detective Marrone present evidence at the trial?
7. What kind of story has Melanie given to a reporter?
8. What does Emily's artwork show?
9. How does Emily respond to Chris when he begs her to stay alive out of love for him?
10. How does Chris see the date of jury selection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism plays a large role in "The Pact." What symbols stand out the most in this novel, and what do they mean? Which characters are associated with those symbols? Provide support for your answers by using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)