|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the information Chris imparts help Jordan decide?
2. Where do Chris and Steve move?
3. What does Melanie find in Emily's room?
4. In May 1996, what is Emily having dreams and memories of?
5. How long does Chris have to wait before he petitions for medium-security prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of woman has Melanie become as she takes the stand at the trial?
2. How does Detective Marrone present evidence at the trial?
3. How does Michael's decision to testify for the defense affect his marriage?
4. How does Chris react to Steve's attempt to commit suicide?
5. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
6. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
7. How does Emily respond to Chris when he begs her to stay alive out of love for him?
8. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
9. How does Chris act during his last date with Emily in November 1997?
10. Why does Michael decide to testify for the defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)