|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Chris and Emily communicate while they are grounded?
2. What does Melanie do a few weeks after Emily's death?
3. What book does Chris steal from the library in a flashback?
4. Who is married to Melanie?
5. When does James decide to do something about the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think happened in the men's room at McDonalds?
2. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
3. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
4. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
5. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
6. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
7. How does Gus react to news of Emily's death?
8. How does Emily break her leg?
9. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
10. How does Michael's decision to testify for the defense affect his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel each have varying occupations that seem to reflect their personalities. Describe the occupations each character has and how it reflects their character traits. Make sure you discuss at least three characters' occupations and how it reflects their traits, and support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The parent/child relationship is explored in various characters in the novel. Choose a parent/child relationship to answer these questions: What kind of relationship do these characters have with each other? What trials do they go through, and how do they end up? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,581 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)