|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melanie find out in mid-November 1997?
2. Why doesn't Melanie participate in the interview regarding her daughter's death?
3. Why doesn't Chris attend Emily's funeral?
4. What dream does Gus have after she returns home from her short separation from James?
5. Why is Gus concerned about Chris when she catches him stealing the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
2. What does Gus' dream of James rescuing both children show about her opinion of him?
3. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
4. How do the parents react to seeing Emily and Chris begin a relationship?
5. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
6. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
7. What happens to Chris and Emily in November 1997?
8. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
9. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
10. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
Essay Topic 3
James and Gus, and Michael and Melanie, have different personalities. Describe the different personalities of these characters. How do some match in comparison to others, and what kind of balance is created by having couples with different personalities? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)