|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is married to Melanie?
2. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
3. How does Chris react upon killing a rabbit?
4. What does Chris do when he is single?
5. When do the phone calls start?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
2. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
3. What makes Chris appear to be innocent?
4. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
5. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
6. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
7. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
8. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
9. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
10. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)