|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Melanie when she goes into labor?
2. What reaction does Emily have when she completes the dare that Chris prompted as a comeback to her dare at the sleepover?
3. What does Chris tell the detective?
4. What does everyone assume about Chris and Emily in high school?
5. How does Chris react in his interview with Marrone when talking about Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
2. What do you think happened in the men's room at McDonalds?
3. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
4. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
5. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
6. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
7. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
8. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
9. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
10. What does Gus' dream of James rescuing both children show about her opinion of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death may be one of the most prominent themes in the novel, as someone dies at the beginning of it. During a hunting trip, why is Chris revolted by the killing of a rabbit? What does the death of the rabbit represent? How does witnessing the death of this rabbit compare with the influence of his father euthanizing the family dog? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
Essay Topic 3
High school kids are known for making assumptions of one another, and it is no different in "The Pact." What do students assume about Chris and Emily? How does Chris react to these assumptions? How do these assumptions influence their relationship? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)