Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the Hartes' children?
2. Whom does James find at the hospital?
3. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
4. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
5. What do Gus and Melanie have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
2. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
3. How does Emily break her leg?
4. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
5. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
6. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
7. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
8. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
9. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
10. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)