|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Gus have after she returns home from her short separation from James?
2. Who is waiting for Melanie and Michael when they arrive home from the hospital in November 1997?
3. What is the name of the person that Gus finds outside her son's hospital room?
4. What happens when Chris and Emily fight about intimacy?
5. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chris refuse to talk about the night of Emily's death with Michael?
2. How does Emily break her leg?
3. What is interesting about Gus at first being upset at James for killing the dog?
4. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
5. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
6. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
7. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
8. What kind of woman has Melanie become as she takes the stand at the trial?
9. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
10. What makes Chris appear to be innocent?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
This section contains 1,662 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)