Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the Hartes' children?
2. Whom does James find at the hospital?
3. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
4. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
5. What do Gus and Melanie have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
2. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
3. How does Emily break her leg?
4. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
5. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
6. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
7. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
8. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
9. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
10. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
Essay Topic 1
Memories have just as important a role in this novel as dreams do. What memories does Emily recover, and how? Why did she repress that memory anyway? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
Essay Topic 3
James and Gus, and Michael and Melanie, have different personalities. Describe the different personalities of these characters. How do some match in comparison to others, and what kind of balance is created by having couples with different personalities? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)