|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Melanie participate in the interview regarding her daughter's death?
2. What does Melanie find out in mid-November 1997?
3. What does Chris dare Emily to do in the flashback to 1989?
4. What book does Chris steal from the library in a flashback?
5. What does Marrone do about her suspicions about Chris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the parents react to seeing Emily and Chris begin a relationship?
2. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
3. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
4. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
5. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
6. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
7. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
8. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
9. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
10. How does Emily break her leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)