|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emily do when they are caught after Chris' dare on the Christmas trip in 1993?
2. Which children of the two couples are dating?
3. What kind of job does Gus have the night of the dinner in 1997?
4. What does Melanie find out in mid-November 1997?
5. Why is Gus concerned about Chris when she catches him stealing the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
2. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
3. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
4. Why is Jordan not interested in the truth?
5. How does Gus react to James forgetting to mention Chris in an acceptance speech?
6. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
7. Why does Michael decide to testify for the defense?
8. How does Emily respond to Chris when he begs her to stay alive out of love for him?
9. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
10. What makes Chris appear to be innocent?
Essay Topic 1
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism plays a large role in "The Pact." What symbols stand out the most in this novel, and what do they mean? Which characters are associated with those symbols? Provide support for your answers by using examples from the book.
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)