|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gus concerned about Chris when she catches him stealing the book?
2. What does Michael wake up to find Melanie doing the day after Chris is arrested for murder?
3. Whom does Gus find outside her son's hospital room?
4. In April 1996, what is the status of Chris and Emily's relationship?
5. What does the autopsy report show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
2. How did Gus and Melanie bond so quickly when they first met?
3. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
4. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
5. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
6. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
7. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
8. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
9. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
10. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams play a large role in "The Pact." They act as symbols for different characters to interpret. What dream does Gus have repeatedly, and what does it represent? How is resolved, and what does that resolution mean? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 3
Grief is a theme that is seen in all characters in "The Pact." Melanie and Michael grieve the loss of their daughter in starkly different ways, as do James and Gus. Describe the different stages of grief and which characters experience what stage. How does Melanie handle her grief in contrast with her husband? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)