|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react upon killing a rabbit?
2. What does Chris dare Emily to do in the flashback to 1989?
3. How does Chris react in his interview with Marrone when talking about Emily?
4. What is the name of the person that Gus finds outside her son's hospital room?
5. What job does Michael have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
2. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
3. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
4. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
5. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
6. How does Emily break her leg?
7. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
8. What does Gus' dream of James rescuing both children show about her opinion of him?
9. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
10. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Grief is a theme that is seen in all characters in "The Pact." Melanie and Michael grieve the loss of their daughter in starkly different ways, as do James and Gus. Describe the different stages of grief and which characters experience what stage. How does Melanie handle her grief in contrast with her husband? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)