|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which children of the two couples are dating?
2. How does Gus react to the news Melanie gives her after Emily's death?
3. How do Chris and Emily communicate while they are grounded?
4. What else does the autopsy report show?
5. What does Chris insist on doing once he is home from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gus try to keep the police from talking to Chris?
2. What is interesting about Gus at first being upset at James for killing the dog?
3. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
4. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
5. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
6. How did Gus and Melanie bond so quickly when they first met?
7. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
8. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
9. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
10. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is one of the most prominent themes in "The Pact," and there are several strong relationships in the novel representing that theme. Which characters show the strongest representation of love, and why? How do Chris and Emily represent love from their different perspectives? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Memories have just as important a role in this novel as dreams do. What memories does Emily recover, and how? Why did she repress that memory anyway? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)