|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Melanie take Michael the morning after Chris is arrested?
2. What happens in mid-November 1997?
3. What does Melanie tell Gus some time after Emily's death?
4. Whom does Gus find outside her son's hospital room?
5. What does Melanie do a few weeks after Emily's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
2. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
3. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
4. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
5. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
6. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
7. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
8. Why does Gus try to keep the police from talking to Chris?
9. How do the parents react to seeing Emily and Chris begin a relationship?
10. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The parent/child relationship is explored in various characters in the novel. Choose a parent/child relationship to answer these questions: What kind of relationship do these characters have with each other? What trials do they go through, and how do they end up? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)