|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the Hartes' children?
2. What does Chris tell the detective?
3. What do James and Chris do on the Christmas trip in 1993?
4. How are the treatments for the dog going?
5. What does Emily do when Chris is dating someone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
2. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
3. How does the euthanasia of the dog affect Chris?
4. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
5. What does Gus' dream of James rescuing both children show about her opinion of him?
6. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
7. Why does Gus try to keep the police from talking to Chris?
8. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
9. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
10. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The parent/child relationship is explored in various characters in the novel. Choose a parent/child relationship to answer these questions: What kind of relationship do these characters have with each other? What trials do they go through, and how do they end up? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)