|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Chris?
2. How long have the Hartes been friends with their neighbors?
3. What does Chris reveal in an interview with Marrone?
4. When does James decide to do something about the dog?
5. What reaction does Emily have when she completes the dare that Chris prompted as a comeback to her dare at the sleepover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
2. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
3. Why does Gus try to keep the police from talking to Chris?
4. How do the parents react to seeing Emily and Chris begin a relationship?
5. How does Gus react to news of Emily's death?
6. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
7. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
8. What is interesting about Gus at first being upset at James for killing the dog?
9. How does the euthanasia of the dog affect Chris?
10. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Novels usually show a transformation in characters through a series of trials and events. In "The Pact," almost every character is changed by the events they experience. How are characters transformed by the events that transpire, and is it a good or bad change? Why or why not? Choose two characters to focus on when answering that question. Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)