|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is married to Melanie?
2. What is stressing Gus out other than the recurring dream?
3. What are Chris and Emily doing in 1989?
4. What happens in mid-November 1997?
5. Who is escorted out of the courtroom after having an outburst?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
2. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
3. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
4. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
5. What is interesting about Gus at first being upset at James for killing the dog?
6. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
7. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
8. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
9. How does the euthanasia of the dog affect Chris?
10. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief is a theme that is seen in all characters in "The Pact." Melanie and Michael grieve the loss of their daughter in starkly different ways, as do James and Gus. Describe the different stages of grief and which characters experience what stage. How does Melanie handle her grief in contrast with her husband? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 2
Novels usually show a transformation in characters through a series of trials and events. In "The Pact," almost every character is changed by the events they experience. How are characters transformed by the events that transpire, and is it a good or bad change? Why or why not? Choose two characters to focus on when answering that question. Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)