Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the Hartes' children?
2. Whom does James find at the hospital?
3. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
4. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
5. What do Gus and Melanie have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
2. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
3. How does Emily break her leg?
4. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
5. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
6. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
7. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
8. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
9. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
10. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
Essay Topic 1
Suicide serves as the most prominent plot point of the novel. What risk factors for suicide did Emily have? Why did she feel that suicide was her only option? How does her suicide influence different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)