Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the Hartes' children?
2. Whom does James find at the hospital?
3. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
4. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
5. What do Gus and Melanie have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
2. Why is the jewelry store clerk's testimony potentially damaging?
3. How does Emily break her leg?
4. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
5. Describe Steve and why he is in jail.
6. Why does Chris think that Emily withheld news of her pregnancy?
7. Why does Emily not go through with the abortion?
8. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
9. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
10. Why does Gus believe that Chris is a hero?
Memories have just as important a role in this novel as dreams do. What memories does Emily recover, and how? Why did she repress that memory anyway? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)