|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Melanie's husband while she is in labor?
2. What does Chris tell the detective?
3. Why doesn't Melanie participate in the interview regarding her daughter's death?
4. What does James learn at work soon after he hires a lawyer for Chris?
5. What does Michael do that angers Melanie when they find out about Emily's condition at the time of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Emily break her leg?
2. Why does Selena look for a doctor to confirm Emily's pregnancy?
3. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
4. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
5. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
6. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
7. What kind of woman has Melanie become as she takes the stand at the trial?
8. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
9. What does Emily's artwork show?
10. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death may be one of the most prominent themes in the novel, as someone dies at the beginning of it. During a hunting trip, why is Chris revolted by the killing of a rabbit? What does the death of the rabbit represent? How does witnessing the death of this rabbit compare with the influence of his father euthanizing the family dog? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel each have varying occupations that seem to reflect their personalities. Describe the occupations each character has and how it reflects their character traits. Make sure you discuss at least three characters' occupations and how it reflects their traits, and support your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)