|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the couples in the beginning of the book talk about at dinner?
2. What kind of job does Gus have the night of the dinner in 1997?
3. What does Michael wake up to find Melanie doing the day after Chris is arrested for murder?
4. What do Gus and Melanie have in common?
5. What happens after Emily does the dare that Chris prompted in 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
2. Why does Gus relent and let the detective talk to Chris?
3. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
4. What does the path of the bullet in Emily's head suggest?
5. How did Gus and Melanie bond so quickly when they first met?
6. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
7. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
8. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
9. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
10. What happens to Chris and Emily in November 1997?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conclusion of "The Pact" ties up most loose ends, but it still leaves a lot of room for interpretation. What happens in the conclusion? What does it mean, and how does it influence the future of different characters? Make sure you answer each question and provide evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Death may be one of the most prominent themes in the novel, as someone dies at the beginning of it. During a hunting trip, why is Chris revolted by the killing of a rabbit? What does the death of the rabbit represent? How does witnessing the death of this rabbit compare with the influence of his father euthanizing the family dog? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)