|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dog do that frustrates Gus and James?
2. Who is married to Gus?
3. How do Chris and Emily communicate while they are grounded?
4. How does Michael explain James' actions concerning the family dog?
5. How does Emily die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
2. How do the parents react to seeing Emily and Chris begin a relationship?
3. What do you think happened in the men's room at McDonalds?
4. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
5. How did Gus and Melanie bond so quickly when they first met?
6. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
7. What does the euthanasia of the dog represent?
8. What makes Chris appear to be innocent?
9. How does the euthanasia of the dog affect Chris?
10. What is interesting about Gus at first being upset at James for killing the dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Pact," characters share many friendships, with some standing out more than others. Describe Melanie and Gus' friendship and how it transforms after Emily's death. How is Emily and Chris' friendship at a young age displayed? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism plays a large role in "The Pact." What symbols stand out the most in this novel, and what do they mean? Which characters are associated with those symbols? Provide support for your answers by using examples from the book.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)