|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Melanie become upset when Michael presents clothes for Emily at the funeral home?
2. Where is Melanie's husband while she is in labor?
3. What does everyone assume about Chris and Emily in high school?
4. What does Chris insist on doing once he is home from the hospital?
5. What does Emily do when Chris is dating someone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
2. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
3. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
4. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
5. How do Melanie and Michael react to the idea of Chris killing Emily?
6. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
7. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
8. How does the euthanasia of the dog affect Chris?
9. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
10. How does Emily and Chris' relationship begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novels usually show a transformation in characters through a series of trials and events. In "The Pact," almost every character is changed by the events they experience. How are characters transformed by the events that transpire, and is it a good or bad change? Why or why not? Choose two characters to focus on when answering that question. Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams play a large role in "The Pact." They act as symbols for different characters to interpret. What dream does Gus have repeatedly, and what does it represent? How is resolved, and what does that resolution mean? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships between parent and child in this novel are strong, especially between Gus and Chris. How does Gus protect her son? How would you describe her relationship with her son in comparison with James relationship with his son? Make sure you answer each question with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)