|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Chris during his birthday dinner in 1997?
2. Why doesn't Chris fulfill his end of the pact?
3. What do the Golds and Hartes do for Christmas 1993?
4. Who is married to Gus?
5. What dream does Gus have after she returns home from her short separation from James?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
2. Why is it important for the reader to see the beginning of Gus and Melanie's friendship?
3. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
4. How does Gus react to news of Emily's death?
5. How did Gus and Melanie bond so quickly when they first met?
6. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
7. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
8. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
9. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
10. How does James feel about the situation with Chris once Chris is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is one of the most prominent themes in "The Pact," and there are several strong relationships in the novel representing that theme. Which characters show the strongest representation of love, and why? How do Chris and Emily represent love from their different perspectives? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Depression is one of many themes that run through "The Pact." What are the symptoms of depression, and which ones did Emily display? Why is Emily depressed, and why didn't she seek treatment? Provide support for your answers using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Grief is a theme that is seen in all characters in "The Pact." Melanie and Michael grieve the loss of their daughter in starkly different ways, as do James and Gus. Describe the different stages of grief and which characters experience what stage. How does Melanie handle her grief in contrast with her husband? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)