|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react in his interview with Marrone when talking about Emily?
2. What does James do during a dinner party when the dog acts up?
3. Whom does James find at the hospital?
4. How long have the Hartes been friends with their neighbors?
5. Who is waiting for Melanie and Michael when they arrive home from the hospital in November 1997?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Chris appear to be innocent?
2. What does Chris' reaction to the killing of the rabbit suggest?
3. What happens when Emily dares Chris to kiss her?
4. What occupation does Melanie hold, and how does it complement her personality?
5. Why does Melanie latch onto the idea that Chris killed Emily?
6. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
7. What is ironic about the theory that the detective has about the tragedy?
8. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
9. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
10. How do the Golds and Hartes contrast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grief is a theme that is seen in all characters in "The Pact." Melanie and Michael grieve the loss of their daughter in starkly different ways, as do James and Gus. Describe the different stages of grief and which characters experience what stage. How does Melanie handle her grief in contrast with her husband? Make sure you answer each question thoroughly and use evidence from the book for support.
Essay Topic 2
High school kids are known for making assumptions of one another, and it is no different in "The Pact." What do students assume about Chris and Emily? How does Chris react to these assumptions? How do these assumptions influence their relationship? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Pact," it becomes clear that appearances can be deceiving. What kind of couple do Chris and Emily appear to be to people on the outside? How does the reality of Emily and Chris' relationship hold up to appearances? What similarities and differences are there? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)