|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Emily have when she completes the dare that Chris prompted as a comeback to her dare at the sleepover?
2. How does Chris react in his interview with Marrone when talking about Emily?
3. What does the dog do that frustrates Gus and James?
4. What did the Golds learn in the hospital in November 1997?
5. What job does Michael have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Emily and Chris to break up temporarily?
2. How does Melanie react to Chris' arrest?
3. Why is James' award not such a rewarding experience?
4. What does Chris admit to bringing on his date with Emily?
5. How does Gus react to news of Emily's death?
6. Why is Melanie unable to take part in funeral preparations?
7. How do Emily and Chris' needs contrast?
8. Why does the detective think that suicide is a ridiculous theory in the death of Emily?
9. How does Emily break her leg?
10. What makes it clear that Melanie is still grieving when she returns to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art plays a role in this novel through Emily's talented works. How does art reflect Emily's state of mind? How did Emily use art in her life? How does her art show the progression of her emotional and mental state? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main characters that make up most of the novel, there are other minor characters that play a significant role in "The Pact." What representation was the strongest and most significant in the story besides the main characters? What message did the author intend to give through this story? Make sure you answer each question, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bonds form and break depending on the circumstances preceding them. In "The Pact," connections form among characters out of different circumstances or situations. How do Melanie and Gus connect? How do James and Michael connect? Describe how each of these characters' friendships progress and why. Make sure you support your answers with examples from the novel.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)