|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city do Gil Carter and Art Croft return to after the long winter?
2. Who was his friend?
3. How many sons does Bartlett bring with him?
4. What does Davies try to assure Jeff Farnley?
5. Where was Sparks staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the only man in sight when Gil and Art pull into Bridger's Wells?
2. Why does Art hope that Gil will take a hint and quit playing poker when Art announces he has had enough?
3. Why do Art and Gil talk very little on the ride into Bridger's Wells?
4. What does Canby do in an effort to support Judge Tyler's attempts to diffuse the lynch mob?
5. What kind of alcohol does Canby have in his saloon, and what does he serve?
6. What does Canby tell Art and Gil regarding events they have missed while working through the winter?
7. Why does Davies claim that lynch mobs are always wrong?
8. What does Davies believe that Farnley should do, and how many men agree with him?
9. What news does a rider bring that raises hostilities towards newcomers especially from Farnley?
10. Why have Art and Gil been away from Bridger's Wells for so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Martin want the posse to do? Why won't anyone agree to this request? When the course of the future seems set, what two requests does Martin have? What does the posse do in the mean time? Who does Martin enlist for help? In what way does this request cause Martin anxiety after a short time? What mistake does Martin make in this regard and why?
Essay Topic 2
What do the members of the posse hear coming? How do they respond at first? When they decide to stop the stage to get information, how does the driver respond? What do the driver and guard believe is happening? How do they respond at first? Who suffers for the misconception? What happens? Who manages to make them understand that they are safe to pull over?
Essay Topic 3
What does Farnley learn that has him mounting his horse and getting ready to leave? Why is he stopped by several men in the saloon? Who tries to change his mind? How successful is he? What is the driving force of Farnley's motivation? What do some of the other cowboys convince him to do?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)