|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Smith antagonize into joining them in their search for the rustlers/murderers?
2. Why is Gil in such a foul mood?
3. What city do Gil Carter and Art Croft return to after the long winter?
4. Why are Art and Gil suspected in the recent cattle thefts?
5. What winning argument does Tetley have for leaving immediately?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Art later surprised that Bartlett managed to succeed in stirring up the men as easily as he did?
2. What do Kinkaid and Farnley discover just before roundup?
3. What does Davies believe that Farnley should do, and how many men agree with him?
4. Why is Gil so angry and disappointed when he learns that Rose has already left Bridger's Wells?
5. What ritual conversation do Gil and Canby engage in every time Gil arrives?
6. What does Davies ask Art to do, and why?
7. Who is the only man in sight when Gil and Art pull into Bridger's Wells?
8. What causes the men to remount and renew their intention to hunt down the men responsible for the rustling and Kinkaid's murder?
9. What does Canby do in an effort to support Judge Tyler's attempts to diffuse the lynch mob?
10. How do Art and Gil feel about the whole situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Art become concerned when Gil begins to win big at the poker tables? What does Art fear? Why does he join the game? What does he hope to accomplish by doing so? How effective is his plan? Why? What is Farnley's suggestion as he continues to lose? Does it help?
Essay Topic 2
Who is most vocal in his objections to Farnley's intentions? Why? Who is the only person who stands publicly with him? What is the general tone of the remainder of people? Why does one person try to convince smaller groups to think from a more legal perspective? What would he rather see happen?
Essay Topic 3
What current events have Art and Gil missed while working with the cattle on the ranch? Why is it likely that they were not affected directly? How large is this problem and what is being done about it? What resources are available to the ranchers? What other options are open to them?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)