|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As an applied animal behaviorist, what is McConnell's least favorite responsibility?
2. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
3. What does lack of eye contact signal to a dog?
4. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
5. What example does McConnell provide that is an analogous to leaving a pack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
2. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
3. What are the two top factors prospective owners make in choosing a dog, and why are they erroneous?
4. What is rehoming and why is it sometimes necessary?
5. What are the differences between the way humans and dogs show affection, and why is it significant?
6. What have studies found about an owner grieving over a pet, and why is it significant?
7. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
8. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
9. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
10. What advice does McConnell give to a person grieving over the loss of a pet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss dog training in the book by choosing five commands and illustrating step-by-step how to dog to learn them. Then, discuss the overall approach from a critical standpoint. What does dog training reveal about the way humans learn? Are they comparable?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
Essay Topic 3
Using McConnell's observations from the book, compare and contrast wolves and dogs. How does each behave in packs? What do they share in terms of ancestry? How are they different?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)