|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McConnell advise about an alpha rollover?
2. Does McConnell see similarities in personality between humans and dogs?
3. What kind of behavioral disorders will a dog develop if it is not properly trained during the "sensitive period"?
4. What is the leader in a social hierarchy called?
5. Who does NOT display affection by "ventral-ventral contact"
Short Essay Questions
1. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
2. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
3. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
4. Why should owners not expect a dog to behave in the same way no matter what the environment?
5. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
6. What steps should an owner take to curb unwanted behavior?
7. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
8. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
9. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
10. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
Essay Topic 2
Choose four breeds and discuss their attributes, including physical traits, temperament, country of origin, what each was bred for, and their ideal home.
Essay Topic 3
According to McConnell, rehoming is sometimes necessary. Provide two examples of rehoming from the book. Do you agree or disagree with McConnell's point of view?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)