|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
2. Who does NOT display affection by "ventral-ventral contact"
3. Chimpanzees and _______will carry a dead infant for days, even though it is rotting.
4. What is the example of "group bereavement" Andy Beck observed?
5. According to McConnell, much of a dog's behavior has to do with what is _______versus what is _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
2. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
3. What have studies found about an owner grieving over a pet, and why is it significant?
4. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
5. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
6. What do we know about how a dog grieves?
7. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
8. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
9. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
10. How should an owner teach a dog to wait patiently at the door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)