|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does McConnell advocate choosing a dog for its physical traits?
2. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
3. At the vet's, how should an owner pet her or his dog to calm it down?
4. What is the cause of many behavior problems, according to McConnell?
5. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. How should an owner teach a dog to wait patiently at the door?
2. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
3. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
4. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
5. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
6. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
7. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
8. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
9. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
10. What are the differences between the way humans and dogs show affection, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
Essay Topic 2
McConnell discusses Motherese in the book to illustrate several ways humans and dogs communicate. What is Motherese and how does it influence human and dog communication?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities and differences between primates and humans in terms of evolutionary behavior and social interaction.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)