|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the phenomenon McConnell discusses regarding death so poorly understood?
2. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
3. How important are physical traits in choosing a dog for McConnell?
4. What do many owners call deviance from normal behavior that is inaccurate, according to McConnell?
5. What are two other ways to distract a dog from its unwanted behavior, according to McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
2. What are the differences between the way humans and dogs show affection, and why is it significant?
3. What choice does McConnell say that an owner has in terms of leadership, and why is it significant?
4. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
5. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
6. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
7. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
8. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
9. What do we know about how a dog grieves?
10. Why do behavior problems arise when dogs are always given what they want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and function of affection in the book. Compare and contrast the ways in which humans and dogs both perceive and express affection.
Essay Topic 2
McConnell's discussion of dogs provides insight into how humans and animals deal with conflict.
1) Provide five examples of conflict from the book and the resolution of each.
2) Discuss how people can learn from dog training to resolve conflict in everyday life.
Essay Topic 3
McConnell discusses Motherese in the book to illustrate several ways humans and dogs communicate. What is Motherese and how does it influence human and dog communication?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)