|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When should submission be given by a dog, according to McConnell?
2. What is an "alpha rollover"?
3. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
4. What is the name of the book by Marc Hauser McConnell discusses?
5. What should an owner do if the dog persists in an unwanted behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between the way humans and dogs show affection, and why is it significant?
2. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
3. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
4. What are puppy mills?
5. What are the two top factors prospective owners make in choosing a dog, and why are they erroneous?
6. What is the difference between breed and personality?
7. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
8. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
9. What advice does McConnell give to a person grieving over the loss of a pet?
10. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between physical space and the body in the book. How important are physical movements in terms of training? How do dogs perceive physical space?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how humans and dogs cope with death.
1) What are the similarities and difference between how humans and dogs grieve?
2) What resources are available for owners who have lost a pet or pets who have lost a companion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Puppy Mills. What are they and why should prospective owners avoid them? What role should the government have in regulating them?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)