|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, do all dogs enjoy petting?
2. What three things should an owner do to prevent a dog from leaping onto her or his lap?
3. Who are the betas in a social hierarchy?
4. At the vet's, how should an owner pet her or his dog to calm it down?
5. According to McConnell, where does the most aggression in a social hierarchy occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
2. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
3. Why is a bored dog a dangerous dog?
4. How should an owner teach a dog to wait patiently at the door?
5. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
6. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
7. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
8. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
9. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
10. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how humans and dogs cope with death.
1) What are the similarities and difference between how humans and dogs grieve?
2) What resources are available for owners who have lost a pet or pets who have lost a companion?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three dogs from the book and discuss them as characters. What are their physical and psychological attributes? What purpose do their stories serve for McConnell's argument?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)