|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the command McConnell suggests to give a dog so that it will wait at the door?
2. What is the example of "group bereavement" Andy Beck observed?
3. What is an "alpha rollover"?
4. When should submission be given by a dog, according to McConnell?
5. What do many owners call deviance from normal behavior that is inaccurate, according to McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we know about how a dog grieves?
2. Why is a bored dog a dangerous dog?
3. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
4. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
5. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
6. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
7. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
8. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
9. Why do behavior problems arise when dogs are always given what they want?
10. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast human and canine sense perception.
1) How many sense receptors do humans have? How many do dogs?
2) What senses do humans use the most? What senses do dogs use the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social hierarchy in dogs. Define and discuss the roles of alpha, omega, and beta dogs in packs. How fluid are packs in terms of social hierarchy?
Essay Topic 3
According to McConnell, rehoming is sometimes necessary. Provide two examples of rehoming from the book. Do you agree or disagree with McConnell's point of view?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)