|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to studies McConnell cites, what are the similarities between grieving over a pet and grieving over a person?
2. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
3. According to McConnell, do humans and dogs living together constitute a single, unified social hierarchy?
4. What area of a dog's body is considered a form of dominance if petted?
5. What does lack of eye contact signal to a dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
2. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
3. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
4. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
5. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
6. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
7. Why is a bored dog a dangerous dog?
8. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
9. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
10. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
Essay Topic 3
According to McConnell, rehoming is sometimes necessary. Provide two examples of rehoming from the book. Do you agree or disagree with McConnell's point of view?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)