|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who displays affection by "ventral-ventral contact"?
2. Chimpanzees and _______will carry a dead infant for days, even though it is rotting.
3. Does McConnell believe that generalizations about breeds are correct?
4. According to McConnell, do individual wolves leave their pack?
5. What is one claim owners make about their dog's personality that is erroneous, according to McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
2. What steps should an owner take to curb unwanted behavior?
3. What are puppy mills?
4. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
5. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
6. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
7. What is rehoming and why is it sometimes necessary?
8. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
9. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
10. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose and function of affection in the book. Compare and contrast the ways in which humans and dogs both perceive and express affection.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)