|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of "object play" for humans?
2. When teaching a dog how to play fetch, what does McConnell recommend doing in lieu of prying a ball from a dog's mouth?
3. What kind of dog lunges at McConnell in front of an audience in the opening chapter?
4. When a dog's corners of the mouth are forward, what is it a sign of?
5. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How should an owner house train her or his dog?
2. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
3. What advice does McConnell offer in terms of how humans monitor their speech?
4. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
5. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
6. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
7. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
8. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
9. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
10. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast human and canine sense perception.
1) How many sense receptors do humans have? How many do dogs?
2) What senses do humans use the most? What senses do dogs use the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between physical space and the body in the book. How important are physical movements in terms of training? How do dogs perceive physical space?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)