|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do adult humans and dogs both do that make them rare in the animal world?
2. What is the first step a person should do in order to ingratiate her or himself with a dog?
3. How large is the "smell" part of a dog's brain in relation to a human's?
4. Like dogs, humans are also in tune with what?
5. What is the best way to sniff, according to McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
2. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
3. How should an owner house train her or his dog?
4. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
5. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
6. What are commissures, and why are they important?
7. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
8. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
9. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
10. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the similarities and differences between primates and humans in terms of evolutionary behavior and social interaction.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)