|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is habituation?
2. Whose nostrils can move independently from their face?
3. How do male and female humans engage in play fighting?
4. According to McConnell, what does the episode with the dog who lunges at her illustrate the importance of for an owner and trainer?
5. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
2. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
3. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
4. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
5. What are commissures, and why are they important?
6. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
7. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
8. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
9. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
10. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the similarities and differences between primates and humans in terms of evolutionary behavior and social interaction.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social hierarchy in dogs. Define and discuss the roles of alpha, omega, and beta dogs in packs. How fluid are packs in terms of social hierarchy?
Essay Topic 3
Territory is a significant part of animal life. Discuss five ways in which dogs and humans claim and defend territory.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)