|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do adult humans and dogs both do that make them rare in the animal world?
2. In one study, half of adults who lost their sense of smell also reported what?
3. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
4. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
5. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
2. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
3. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
4. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
5. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
6. What are commissures, and why are they important?
7. What advice does McConnell offer in terms of how humans monitor their speech?
8. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
9. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
10. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes a happy, comfortable home for both humans and dogs according to McConnell? How can humans provide a safe and happy home for their animals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social hierarchy in dogs. Define and discuss the roles of alpha, omega, and beta dogs in packs. How fluid are packs in terms of social hierarchy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Puppy Mills. What are they and why should prospective owners avoid them? What role should the government have in regulating them?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)