|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When teaching a dog how to play fetch, what does McConnell recommend doing in lieu of prying a ball from a dog's mouth?
2. What is one way humans can teach dogs to see them as familiar and not a stranger?
3. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to have a relatively poor sense of smell?
4. What is the second mistake McConnell makes with the dog who lunges at her in front of an audience?
5. How should a person greet a new dog so as not to appear aggressive or rude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
2. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
3. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
4. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
5. What are commissures, and why are they important?
6. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
7. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
8. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
9. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
10. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose four breeds and discuss their attributes, including physical traits, temperament, country of origin, what each was bred for, and their ideal home.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss social hierarchy in dogs. Define and discuss the roles of alpha, omega, and beta dogs in packs. How fluid are packs in terms of social hierarchy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a prospective owner should choose a dog.
1) Where should prospective owners look?
2) What qualities should a prospective owner look for in a dog?
3) What considerations should a prospective owner make before adopting or buying a dog?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)