Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, both humans and dogs are ______and_______.
2. According to McConnell, what do decades of research indicate about what almost all dogs respond to?
3. What will primates do with the objects around them?
4. When an owner yells at a dog to stop barking, what is she or he encouraging the dog to do?
5. What is "doggie play bow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between the way humans and dogs show affection, and why is it significant?
2. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
3. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
4. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
5. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
6. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
7. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
8. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
9. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
10. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 2
Choose three dogs from the book and discuss them as characters. What are their physical and psychological attributes? What purpose do their stories serve for McConnell's argument?
Essay Topic 3
McConnell discusses Motherese in the book to illustrate several ways humans and dogs communicate. What is Motherese and how does it influence human and dog communication?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)