|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a dog's corners of the mouth are forward, what is it a sign of?
2. According to McConnell, how can an owner effectively housebreak a dog?
3. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to have a relatively poor sense of smell?
4. What do adult humans and dogs both do that make them rare in the animal world?
5. Like dogs, humans are also in tune with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
2. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
3. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
4. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
5. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
6. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
7. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
8. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
9. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
10. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose four breeds and discuss their attributes, including physical traits, temperament, country of origin, what each was bred for, and their ideal home.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose and function of affection in the book. Compare and contrast the ways in which humans and dogs both perceive and express affection.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)