|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When teaching a dog how to play fetch, what does McConnell recommend doing in lieu of prying a ball from a dog's mouth?
2. What physical behaviors in a dog are NOT important?
3. What are low pitched sounds used for?
4. When an owner yells at a dog to stop barking, what is she or he encouraging the dog to do?
5. Studies prove that who can tell that a shirt has been worn by a man or woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
2. How should an owner house train her or his dog?
3. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
4. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
5. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
6. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
7. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
8. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
9. Why do primates look away, and in what situations should an owner do the same?
10. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast human and canine sense perception.
1) How many sense receptors do humans have? How many do dogs?
2) What senses do humans use the most? What senses do dogs use the most?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss qualities that make a good leader, according to McConnell. How do these leadership qualities pertain to effective dog training and hare they relevant to everyday life?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)