|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many forms of play does McConnell recommend?
2. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
3. Why is it confusing for a dog when a person uses similar phrasing?
4. What is habituation?
5. According to McConnell, small _______impart big meaning for a dog.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
2. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
3. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
4. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
5. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
6. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
7. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
8. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
9. How should an owner house train her or his dog?
10. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Territory is a significant part of animal life. Discuss five ways in which dogs and humans claim and defend territory.
Essay Topic 2
What makes a happy, comfortable home for both humans and dogs according to McConnell? How can humans provide a safe and happy home for their animals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)