|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does commanding "down" for a dog to lie down and "down" for a dog to get off the couch confusing?
2. How many animal handlers has McConnell researched for her book?
3. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
4. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
5. How many forms of play does McConnell recommend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
2. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
3. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
4. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
5. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
6. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
7. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
8. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
9. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
10. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between physical space and the body in the book. How important are physical movements in terms of training? How do dogs perceive physical space?
Essay Topic 2
McConnell discusses Motherese in the book to illustrate several ways humans and dogs communicate. What is Motherese and how does it influence human and dog communication?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of habituation in relation to dog training in the book.
1) Provide four examples of habituation in dogs.
2) Provide four methods to counteract habituation in dogs.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)