|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do adult humans and dogs both do that make them rare in the animal world?
2. What have scientists observed as the one crucial difference between primates and humans?
3. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
4. According to McConnell, both humans and dogs are ______and_______.
5. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
2. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
3. What are commissures, and why are they important?
4. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
5. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
6. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
7. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
8. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
9. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
10. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss paedomorphism.
1) Why are both humans and dogs paedomorphic?
2) Provide five example of paedomorphism in humans and 5 examples in dogs.
3) What is the relationship between paedomorphic behavior and mental and physical well-being?
Essay Topic 2
McConnell's discussion of dogs provides insight into how humans and animals deal with conflict.
1) Provide five examples of conflict from the book and the resolution of each.
2) Discuss how people can learn from dog training to resolve conflict in everyday life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how humans and dogs cope with death.
1) What are the similarities and difference between how humans and dogs grieve?
2) What resources are available for owners who have lost a pet or pets who have lost a companion?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)