|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
2. Like dogs, humans are also in tune with what?
3. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
4. Why would an owner use "pup pup pup"?
5. According to McConnell, how do dogs feel about humans petting them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
2. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
3. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
4. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
5. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
6. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
7. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
8. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
9. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
10. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three dogs from the book and discuss them as characters. What are their physical and psychological attributes? What purpose do their stories serve for McConnell's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss dog training in the book by choosing five commands and illustrating step-by-step how to dog to learn them. Then, discuss the overall approach from a critical standpoint. What does dog training reveal about the way humans learn? Are they comparable?
Essay Topic 3
McConnell's discussion of dogs provides insight into how humans and animals deal with conflict.
1) Provide five examples of conflict from the book and the resolution of each.
2) Discuss how people can learn from dog training to resolve conflict in everyday life.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)