|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, do humans and dogs living together constitute a single, unified social hierarchy?
(a) In certain parts of the world.
(b) It depends on the breed.
2. According to McConnell, what human behavior signals to a dog that the human is NOT in control?
(a) Yelling and hitting.
(b) Politeness and patience.
(c) Listening and commanding.
(d) Directing and controlling.
3. In a dog-to-dog relationship, what is NOT a sign of submissiveness?
(a) Leaned-back body.
(b) Back-pointed ears.
(c) Wagging tail.
(d) Lowered head.
4. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
(a) Feeding them twice a day.
(b) Cooping them up all day.
(c) Putting them in a kennel.
(d) Exercising them too much.
5. What is the leader in a social hierarchy called?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the vet's, how should an owner pet her or his dog to calm it down?
2. Why will a submissive dog urinate before a more dominant dog?
3. Why is a treat more appreciated for a reward than a pet on the head according to McConnell?
4. What kind of behavioral disorders will a dog develop if it is not properly trained during the "sensitive period"?
5. What are two other ways to distract a dog from its unwanted behavior, according to McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should owners not expect a dog to behave in the same way no matter what the environment?
2. What is rehoming and why is it sometimes necessary?
3. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
4. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
5. What have studies found about an owner grieving over a pet, and why is it significant?
6. What advice does McConnell give to a person grieving over the loss of a pet?
7. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
8. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
9. What choice does McConnell say that an owner has in terms of leadership, and why is it significant?
10. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)