|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things should an owner do to prevent a dog from leaping onto her or his lap?
(a) Body block, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(b) Get up, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(c) Get up, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
(d) Body block, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
2. What is a poorly understood phenomenon regarding death?
(a) What it does to a parent of a child.
(b) What it does to a companion of a person.
(c) What it does to a parent of an animal.
(d) What it does to a companion of an animal.
3. According to McConnell, why is social structure NOT as important to dogs as many might think?
(a) Because dogs are like adult foxes, who have less social structure.
(b) Because dogs are not like juvenile wolves and juvenile coyotes, who have more social structure.
(c) Because dogs are not like wolves, coyotes, or foxes, who have more social structure.
(d) Because dogs are like juvenile wolves, who have less social structure.
4. What are elephants famous for in the way they respond to death?
(a) They are famous for burying their dead.
(b) They are famous for not leaving a carcass behind.
(c) They are famous for shunning the dying.
(d) They are famous for their indifference to death.
5. When does the "sensitive period" occur in a dog's life?
(a) From birth to 2 or 3 months.
(b) From 3 to 4 months.
(c) From 1 to 3 months.
(d) From birth to 3 or 4 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
2. What is the word an owner should give once the dog has waited at the door for a moment?
3. What do owners expect from dogs all the time that dogs cannot provide, according to McConnell?
4. What advice does McConnell give for an owner who has lost a pet?
5. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
2. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
3. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
4. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
5. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
6. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
7. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
8. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
9. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
10. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)