|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the vet's, how should an owner pet her or his dog to calm it down?
(a) Short and slow.
(b) Long and slow.
(c) Long and fast.
(d) Short and fast.
2. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
(a) To reward the dog for obeying the command.
(b) To reassure the dog that it's okay to follow the command.
(c) To reinforce the command for the dog.
(d) To release the dog from the command.
3. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
(a) Cooping them up all day.
(b) Putting them in a kennel.
(c) Feeding them twice a day.
(d) Exercising them too much.
4. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
(a) It doesn't matter.
(b) The owner's and the dog's.
(c) The dog's.
(d) The owner's.
5. What kind of breed needs a lot of activity, according to McConnell?
(a) A working breed.
(b) A companion breed.
(c) A sporting breed.
(d) A hunting breed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Should an owner choose a breed if she or he wants a personality?
2. Does McConnell advocate choosing a dog for its physical traits?
3. Who will spend an hour on grooming, according to McConnell?
4. According to McConnell, what human behavior signals to a dog that the human is NOT in control?
5. According to McConnell, do humans and dogs living together constitute a single, unified social hierarchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
2. What are the two top factors prospective owners make in choosing a dog, and why are they erroneous?
3. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
4. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
5. Why do behavior problems arise when dogs are always given what they want?
6. What is the difference between breed and personality?
7. Why should owners not expect a dog to behave in the same way no matter what the environment?
8. How should an owner teach a dog to wait patiently at the door?
9. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
10. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)