|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to studies McConnell cites, what are the similarities between grieving over a pet and grieving over a person?
(a) Studies show that grieving over a pet is more intense.
(b) Studies show that the stages of grief are the same.
(c) Studies show that grieving of a pet is less intense.
(d) Studies show that there are few similarities between them.
2. What is the #2 preference prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog?
3. Why is the "sensitive period" a crucial stage in development?
(a) Because it when dogs become familiar with humans and bond with one another.
(b) Because it is when dogs are housetrained and learn to communicate.
(c) Because it is when dogs become familiar with humans and are housetrained.
(d) Because it is when dogs learn to communicate and bond with one another.
4. What is the leader in a social hierarchy called?
5. Does McConnell see similarities in personality between humans and dogs?
(a) It depends on the age.
(d) It depends on the breed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does McConnell advise against purchasing a dog from a puppy mill?
2. According to McConnell, do individual wolves leave their pack?
3. According to McConnell, what human behavior signals to a dog that the human is NOT in control?
4. According to McConnell, where does the most aggression in a social hierarchy occur?
5. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What have studies found about an owner grieving over a pet, and why is it significant?
2. What are puppy mills?
3. What steps should an owner take to curb unwanted behavior?
4. Why is a bored dog a dangerous dog?
5. What does McConnell sometimes advocate for an owner to startle a dog?
6. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
7. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
8. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
9. Why should owners not expect a dog to behave in the same way no matter what the environment?
10. According to McConnell, what are the repercussions of a dog who has had a sensitive period?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)