|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book by Marc Hauser McConnell discusses?
(a) Wild Hearts.
(b) Wild Times.
(c) Wild Minds.
(d) Wild Winds.
2. When should submission be given by a dog, according to McConnell?
(a) After a relationship is established.
(b) When a dog is still a puppy.
(c) Before a relationship is established.
(d) When an owner demands it.
3. Why is it important to consider a dog's personality when choosing a breed?
(a) Because a cute dog can be a nasty dog.
(b) Because a good dog is more expensive.
(c) Because there are so many dogs with bad personalities.
(d) Because there is a link between personality and longevity.
4. What should an owner do if the dog persists in an unwanted behavior?
(a) Turn towards the dog and make eye contact.
(b) Turn away from the dog and avoid eye contact.
(c) Grab the dog by the scruff of the neck and avoid eye contact.
(d) Grab the dog by the collar and make eye contact.
5. Who are dogs' ancestors?
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things should an owner do to prevent a dog from leaping onto her or his lap?
2. Does McConnell believe that generalizations about breeds are correct?
3. Who are the omegas in a social hierarchy?
4. According to McConnell, where do dogs not necessarily like to be petted?
5. What area of a dog's body is considered a form of dominance if petted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell state that prospective owners should not be impressed by show dog-type breeds?
2. What have studies found about an owner grieving over a pet, and why is it significant?
3. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
4. How can a person gauge a puppy's personality before she or he adopts or buys one?
5. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
6. How does McConnell's views on social hierarchy differ from other scientists, and how is it important?
7. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
8. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
9. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
10. In what circumstances is a dog wrong for a home and what are the consequences?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)