|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, what human behavior signals to a dog that the human is NOT in control?
(a) Listening and commanding.
(b) Yelling and hitting.
(c) Politeness and patience.
(d) Directing and controlling.
2. What are two other ways to distract a dog from its unwanted behavior, according to McConnell?
(a) Give it food and take it on a walk.
(b) Give it affection and take it on a walk.
(c) Give it food and give it another command.
(d) Give it affection and give it another command.
3. What is a poorly understood phenomenon regarding death?
(a) What it does to a parent of an animal.
(b) What it does to a parent of a child.
(c) What it does to a companion of an animal.
(d) What it does to a companion of a person.
4. How important are physical traits in choosing a dog for McConnell?
(a) Important for men.
(b) Important for women.
(c) Very important.
(d) Not important.
5. Does McConnell believe that generalizations about breeds are correct?
(c) It depends on the breed.
(d) It depends on the breeder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are show dogs typically bred for?
2. What is one example of a dog who cannot be cooped up in a city apartment?
3. When should submission be given by a dog, according to McConnell?
4. Who displays affection by "ventral-ventral contact"?
5. Why is it important to ask a breeder about a dog's lineage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two top factors prospective owners make in choosing a dog, and why are they erroneous?
2. What is an alpha rollover and why does McConnell advise against it?
3. What do we know about how a dog grieves?
4. How does a person spot submissiveness in a dog, and why is it important?
5. In what ways are dogs' personalities similar to humans, and why is it significant?
6. How do juvenile wolves differ from adults in terms of social hierarchies and how does it pertain to dogs?
7. How does a dog interpret being petted on the top of the head, and why is it significant?
8. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
9. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
10. What are puppy mills?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)