|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is habituation?
(a) Habituation occurs when a stimulus is so contant as to become meaningless.
(b) Habituation is the process of cohabitating with a dog.
(c) Habituation is the final step in dog training.
(d) Habituation occurs when a dog has a habit that cannot be broken.
2. If an owner wants to encourage movement in a dog, what should she or he do?
(a) Use short, repetitive notes.
(b) Use both long, repetitive notes.
(c) Use long, spare notes.
(d) Use both short and spare notes.
3. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
(a) A dog's.
(b) A psychologist's.
(c) An athlete's.
(d) A mechanic's.
4. How should a person greet a new dog so as not to appear aggressive or rude?
(a) Crouch down.
(b) Step forward.
(c) Hold out a hand.
(d) Lean back.
5. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
(a) That it is inferior to dogs.
(b) That it is superior to dogs.
(c) That it is unimportant.
(d) That it is very important.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many scent receptors do dogs have?
2. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use slow, continuous notes for what purpose?
3. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
4. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
5. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
2. What is the sensitive period in a dog's life, and why is it important?
3. Why is a working breed ill-suited to live in an apartment in a city, according to McConnell?
4. What is the theory of benevolent leadership?
5. What is rehoming and why is it sometimes necessary?
6. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
7. How do primates socialize that not all dogs may appreciate?
8. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
9. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
10. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)