|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do humans that dogs are accustomed to become strangers?
(a) When the sound of their voice changes.
(b) When the color of their clothing changes.
(c) When the shape of their body changes.
(d) When the feel of their skin changes.
2. What will primates do with the objects around them?
(a) Use them as weapons.
(b) Manipulate them to get food.
(c) Barter them for comfort.
(d) Ignore them.
3. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
(b) Only male dogs wrestle.
(c) Only female dogs wrestle.
(d) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
4. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
(a) Letting the dog run free.
(b) Petting the dog.
(c) Giving the dog a treat.
(d) Talking nicely to the dog.
5. Why does commanding "down" for a dog to lie down and "down" for a dog to get off the couch confusing?
(a) Because they are entirely separate behaviors.
(b) Because a dog cannot understand down.
(c) Because a dog doesn't want to obey.
(d) Because a dog is inclined to do both behaviors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
2. What is paedomorphism?
3. What are low pitched sounds used for?
4. What are high pitched sounds NOT used for?
5. What is a dog pushing the corners of her or his mouth back a sign of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
2. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
3. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
4. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
5. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
6. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
7. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
8. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
9. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
10. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)