|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it confusing for a dog when a person uses similar phrasing?
(a) Because these phrases sound submissive to a dog.
(b) Because these phrases sound completely different to a dog.
(c) Because these phrases sound completely alike to a dog.
(d) Because these phrases sound aggressive to a dog.
2. What are low pitched sounds used for?
(a) Positivity, authority, cheerfulness.
(b) Disapproval, authority, positivity.
(c) Authority, threat, disapproval.
(d) Authority, encouragement, positivity.
3. What physical traits were present in the study which illustrated that paedomorphism is also physiological?
(a) Floppy ears, long tails, and different brain chemistry in dogs.
(b) Large eyes, round face, and different brain chemistry in primates.
(c) Short legs, long torso, and different brain chemistry in humans.
(d) Floppy ears, curly tails, and different brain chemistry in foxes.
4. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
(a) She retreats from the dog.
(b) She yells at the dog.
(c) She pets the dog.
(d) She kicks the dog.
5. What are high pitched sounds NOT used for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
2. What is "doggie play bow"?
3. What have scientists observed as the one crucial difference between primates and humans?
4. Why did a dog growl and snap at visitors who had recently eaten pizza?
5. McConnell suggests sniffing different parts of the house, plants, books, bedsheets, in order to determine what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
2. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
3. What are commissures, and why are they important?
4. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
5. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
6. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
7. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
8. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
9. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
10. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)