|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of play does McConnell NOT recommend?
(c) Hide and Seek.
2. How large is the "smell" part of a dog's brain in relation to a human's?
(a) It is 4 times smaller.
(b) It is 14 times smaller.
(c) It is 4 times larger.
(d) It is 14 times larger.
3. How many scent receptors do dogs have?
(a) 20 million.
(b) 5 million.
(c) 120 million.
(d) 220 million.
4. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
(a) That it is very important.
(b) That it is inferior to dogs.
(c) That it is superior to dogs.
(d) That it is unimportant.
5. What is the first step a person should do in order to ingratiate her or himself with a dog?
(a) Give treats from your hand.
(b) Throw treats from ten feet away.
(c) Talk to the dog from ten feet away.
(d) Approach the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like dogs, humans are also in tune with what?
2. Why should a person "release the pressure" after she or he has initiated a block?
3. Why does commanding "down" for a dog to lie down and "down" for a dog to get off the couch confusing?
4. What is an example of "object play" for humans?
5. According to McConnell, what is the best word to use to encourage a dog's silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
2. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
3. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
4. What are commissures, and why are they important?
5. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
6. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
7. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
8. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
9. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
10. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)