|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "doggie play bow"?
(a) Spreading feet apart.
(b) Touching hands on the ground.
(c) Kneeling on the ground.
(d) Slightly crouched stance.
2. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
(a) She pets the dog.
(b) She kicks the dog.
(c) She retreats from the dog.
(d) She yells at the dog.
3. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Only male dogs wrestle.
(b) Only female dogs wrestle.
(c) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(d) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
4. How do male and female humans engage in play fighting?
(a) Neither males nor females engage in play fighting.
(b) Males tend to play fight more.
(c) Females tend to play fight more.
(d) Males and females engage in play fighting equally.
5. What is "object play" associated with for humans?
(a) Our memory.
(b) Our primate heritage.
(c) Our intelligence.
(d) Our speech ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, what does the episode with the dog who lunges at her illustrate the importance of for an owner and trainer?
2. How should a person greet a new dog so as not to appear aggressive or rude?
3. If a parent play fights with a dog, how will the dog play fight with a child?
4. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
5. What is the biggest misconception owner's make regarding their influence on a dog's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
2. What are commissures, and why are they important?
3. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
4. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
5. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
6. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
7. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
8. Why does McConnell recommend that a dog owner wear a hat around the house, and what is her larger point?
9. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
10. Why do primates look away, and in what situations should an owner do the same?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)