|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do humans that dogs are accustomed to become strangers?
(a) When the shape of their body changes.
(b) When the feel of their skin changes.
(c) When the color of their clothing changes.
(d) When the sound of their voice changes.
2. How do you teach a dog to come?
(a) Turn toward the dog, call "Come", walk in the same direction, and whistle once.
(b) Turn away from the dog, call "Come", throw a treat, and clap once.
(c) Turn toward the dog, call "Come", throw a treat, and whistle once.
(d) Turn away from the dog, call "Come," walk in the opposite direction, and clap once.
3. What is a dog pushing the corners of her or his mouth back a sign of?
(a) Fear and aggression.
(b) Fear and submissiveness.
(c) Excitement and submissiveness.
(d) Excitement and aggression.
4. Why do wolf and canine packs use "hip slams" and "shoulder slams"?
(a) To stake out their territory.
(b) To entice the opposite sex.
(c) To hide their fear.
(d) To appear larger than they are.
5. Can dogs sniff out land mines and cancer?
(c) Only when a dog has matured.
(d) Only during certain months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "doggie play bow"?
2. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
3. How conscious are humans of their pheromones?
4. How can a person tell if a dog is threatening or submissive?
5. What is McConnell doing when she mistakenly gets too close to the dog in front of an audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
2. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
3. What is a little known fact about our sense of smell, and what does it indicate about how humans live in the world?
4. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
5. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
6. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
7. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
8. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors do dogs not appreciate that humans do and why?
9. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
10. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)