|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, what does the episode with the dog who lunges at her illustrate the importance of for an owner and trainer?
(a) Getting to know a dog before he or she begins to train it.
(b) Learning to be more aggressive with a dog.
(c) Avoid training an aggressive dog.
(d) Controlling her or his physical movements around a dog.
2. What is paedomorphism?
(a) The release of juvenile qualities in adulthood.
(b) The absence of adult qualities in adolescence.
(c) The presence of adult qualities in adolescence.
(d) The retention of juvenile qualities into adulthood.
3. How can a person tell if a dog is threatening or submissive?
(a) A threatening dog barks, a submissive dog does not.
(b) A threatening dog will lunge, a submissive dog will not.
(c) A threatening dog leans forward, a submissive dog leans back.
(d) A threatening dog runs forward, a submissive dog runs back.
4. According to McConnell, what is the best word to use to encourage a dog's silence?
5. Whose nostrils can move independently from their face?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do humans that dogs are accustomed to become strangers?
2. Studies prove that who can tell that a shirt has been worn by a man or woman?
3. What is McConnell doing when she mistakenly gets too close to the dog in front of an audience?
4. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
5. How did researchers discover that paedomorphism is also physiological?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
2. What is the difference between breed and personality?
3. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
4. What is rehoming and why is it sometimes necessary?
5. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
6. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
7. What are the types of individuals in social hierarchies, and which type has the most aggression?
8. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
9. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
10. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)