|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
(a) "Back block."
(b) "Leg block."
(c) "Arm block."
(d) "Body block."
2. What is "object play" associated with for humans?
(a) Our speech ability.
(b) Our intelligence.
(c) Our primate heritage.
(d) Our memory.
3. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Only male dogs wrestle.
(b) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(c) Only female dogs wrestle.
(d) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
4. How can an owner encourage a dog to stop barking?
(a) Give the dog affection.
(b) Ignore the dog.
(c) Lure the dog with treats.
(d) Yell at the dog.
5. Why is it confusing for a dog when a person uses similar phrasing?
(a) Because these phrases sound completely alike to a dog.
(b) Because these phrases sound submissive to a dog.
(c) Because these phrases sound aggressive to a dog.
(d) Because these phrases sound completely different to a dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to be one of the greatest sniffers?
2. How do male and female humans engage in play fighting?
3. What physical traits were present in the study which illustrated that paedomorphism is also physiological?
4. How large is the "smell" part of a dog's brain in relation to a human's?
5. What is "doggie play bow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
2. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
3. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
4. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
5. What are commissures, and why are they important?
6. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
7. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
8. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
9. What myth do humans perpetuate about how dogs respond to them, and what does it signify?
10. Why does McConnell recommend that a dog owner wear a hat around the house, and what is her larger point?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)