|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to be one of the greatest sniffers?
(b) Italian greyhounds.
(d) Scottish terriers.
2. How did researchers discover that paedomorphism is also physiological?
(a) By breeding for docility in foxes.
(b) By breeding for docility in humans.
(c) By breeding for docility in primates.
(d) By breeding for docility in dogs.
3. What is one way humans can teach dogs to see them as familiar and not a stranger?
(a) Walk the dog every day.
(b) Talk in the same voice.
(c) Wear a hat around the house.
(d) Eat in front of the dog.
4. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
(a) To save animals from potential danger.
(b) To distract animals from unwanted behavior.
(c) To stop animals and take control of the situation.
(d) To spur animals and make them go faster.
5. What physical behaviors in a dog are NOT important?
(a) Sitting and standing.
(b) Breathing rate.
(c) Leaning forward and back.
(d) Mouth and eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a person who wants to block have to do?
2. How many animal handlers has McConnell researched for her book?
3. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
4. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis?
5. How many scent receptors do humans have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does McConnell offer in terms of how humans monitor their speech?
2. Why do primates look away, and in what situations should an owner do the same?
3. What are commissures, and why are they important?
4. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
5. According to McConnell, what physical behaviors should people pay the most attention to in a dog and why?
6. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
7. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
8. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
9. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
10. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)