|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How conscious are humans of their pheromones?
(b) Conscious except during sex.
(c) Not conscious.
(d) Not consious except during sex.
2. Why can play fighting become dangerous?
(a) Because dogs won't stop.
(b) Because dogs feel threatened.
(c) Because dogs are stronger.
(d) Because dogs use their mouths.
3. What is the vomero-nasal organ on a dog?
(a) It is a structure that smell molecules can't stick to.
(b) It is a structure that closes off smell molecules.
(c) It is a structure that scent molecules stick to.
(d) It is a structure that lets in smell molecules.
4. What is the best way to sniff, according to McConnell?
(a) Use one long inhale.
(b) Use long inhales.
(c) Use short inhales.
(d) Use one short inhale.
5. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
(a) That it is unimportant.
(b) That it is very important.
(c) That it is superior to dogs.
(d) That it is inferior to dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like dogs, humans are also in tune with what?
2. How many animal handlers has McConnell researched for her book?
3. What kind of dog lunges at McConnell in front of an audience in the opening chapter?
4. Why would an owner use "pup pup pup"?
5. McConnell suggests sniffing different parts of the house, plants, books, bedsheets, in order to determine what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
2. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
3. What is the one difference between humans and primates that also presents a challenge when it comes to dog training?
4. What story does McConnell relate about a dog's memory for smell, and why is it significant?
5. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
6. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
7. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
8. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
9. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
10. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)