|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
(a) An athlete's.
(b) A mechanic's.
(c) A dog's.
(d) A psychologist's.
2. Why should a person "release the pressure" after she or he has initiated a block?
(a) Because dogs become threatened if a human is too close.
(b) Because dogs cannot see from a close distance.
(c) Because dogs should be rewarded after a negative behavior has stopped.
(d) Because dogs cannot behave if a human is too close.
3. What have scientists observed as the one crucial difference between primates and humans?
4. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(b) Only female dogs wrestle.
(c) Only male dogs wrestle.
(d) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
5. When an owner yells at a dog to stop barking, what is she or he encouraging the dog to do?
(a) Sit down.
(b) Run away.
(c) Continue to bark.
(d) Stop barking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do humans that dogs are accustomed to become strangers?
2. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis?
3. When first training a dog to play fetch, what should an owner do?
4. What is a dog pushing the corners of her or his mouth back a sign of?
5. How can an owner encourage a dog to stop barking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell recommend that a dog owner wear a hat around the house, and what is her larger point?
2. What advice does McConnell offer in terms of how humans monitor their speech?
3. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
4. Why do primates look away, and in what situations should an owner do the same?
5. What is paedomorphism, and why is it significant?
6. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
7. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
8. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
9. Why does McConnell suggest that paedomorphism accounts for human and dog bonding?
10. What are commissures, and why are they important?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)