|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do you teach a dog to come?
(a) Turn toward the dog, call "Come", walk in the same direction, and whistle once.
(b) Turn toward the dog, call "Come", throw a treat, and whistle once.
(c) Turn away from the dog, call "Come," walk in the opposite direction, and clap once.
(d) Turn away from the dog, call "Come", throw a treat, and clap once.
2. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
(a) "Arm block."
(b) "Body block."
(c) "Back block."
(d) "Leg block."
3. According to McConnell, small _______impart big meaning for a dog.
4. Why would an owner use "pup pup pup"?
(a) To tell the dog to stay.
(b) To offer the dog a treat.
(c) To give the dog a task.
(d) To get the dog to come.
5. Studies prove that who can tell that a shirt has been worn by a man or woman?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
2. What is paedomorphism?
3. When a dog plays "keep away" what is she or he doing?
4. Why does commanding "down" for a dog to lie down and "down" for a dog to get off the couch confusing?
5. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do dogs interpret loud voices and what does it signify?
2. Why is it counter-intuitive to yell a command to a barking dog?
3. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
4. What do the steps in teaching a dog how to come illustrate about training dogs?
5. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
6. What is the "guy-with-the-gold-chain" hypothesis and what does it signify?
7. What is object play and what is its relation to our primate heritage?
8. Why does McConnell advise against taking a ball from a dog's mouth, and why is it important?
9. According to McConnell, what sense perception do humans believe dogs respond to that is incorrect and why is it significant?
10. How does an owner temper a body block and why is it important?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)