|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can an owner make themselves the object of a chase?
(a) By keeping the ball from a dog.
(b) By tossing a ball far from a dog.
(c) By walking away from a dog bringing a ball back.
(d) By walking toward a dog bringing a ball back.
2. Can dogs sniff out land mines and cancer?
(a) Only during certain months.
(b) Only when a dog has matured.
3. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
(a) Not conscious.
(c) Not conscious except during sex.
(d) Conscious except during sex.
4. How many languages do the animal handlers McConnell researches use?
5. What is paedomorphism?
(a) The retention of juvenile qualities into adulthood.
(b) The absence of adult qualities in adolescence.
(c) The release of juvenile qualities in adulthood.
(d) The presence of adult qualities in adolescence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second mistake McConnell makes with the dog who lunges at her in front of an audience?
2. According to McConnell, what do decades of research indicate about what almost all dogs respond to?
3. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to be one of the greatest sniffers?
4. How do you teach a dog to come?
5. What kind of animal behaviorist is Patricia McConnell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McConnell advise against play fighting or wrestling with a dog?
2. Why do primates look away, and in what situations should an owner do the same?
3. What two mistakes did McConnell make with an aggressive mastiff, and why was it dangerous?
4. What is the command McConnell teaches that mimics pack behavior, and how is it executed?
5. What is habituation and why does it present a challenge for trainers?
6. What biological and anatomical differences are their between humans and dogs in terms of smell, and why is it significant for owners and trainers?
7. What point does McConnell make in relating her experience with the aggressive mastiff?
8. What is Motherese and why is it significant?
9. What is the difference between how we use our sense of smell versus how dogs use their sense of smell?
10. Why is it important to properly teach a dog to play fetch?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)