|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a dog-to-dog relationship, what is NOT a sign of submissiveness?
(a) Lowered head.
(b) Leaned-back body.
(c) Wagging tail.
(d) Back-pointed ears.
2. Why is constant contact with humans and other dogs important for dogs?
(a) So that contct with humans and other dogs becomes an intimidating, significant occurence.
(b) So that contact with humans and other dogs becomes a pleasing, satisfying occurence.
(c) So that contact with humans and other dogs becomes a normal, healthy occurrence.
(d) So that contact with humans and other dogs becomes a safe, necessary occurrence.
3. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
(a) Because a dog can fit into multiple categories.
(b) Because a dog stays in its own category.
(c) Because a dog always wants to be in the highest category.
(d) Because a dog always wants to be with other dogs in the same category.
4. What three things should an owner do to prevent a dog from leaping onto her or his lap?
(a) Get up, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(b) Body block, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(c) Body block, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
(d) Get up, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
5. According to McConnell, why is there aggression in a social hierarchy?
(a) Because all dogs are aggressive.
(b) Because the leader has to fight to remain dominant.
(c) Because there are dogs fighting for dominance.
(d) Because there is constant flux in every group.
6. Who does NOT display affection by "ventral-ventral contact"
(b) Every one.
7. Besides giving a dog a command to wait at the door, what else does McConnell suggest an owner do?
(a) Use a body block.
(b) Say No.
(c) Clap your hands.
(d) Hold the dog.
8. What choice should humans make in regard to how they treat dogs, according to McConnell?
(a) Humans should choose to be the benevolent, kind follower.
(b) Humans should choose to be the indifferent, passive follower.
(c) Humans should choose to be the benevolent, wise leader.
(d) Humans should choose to be the aggressive, strong leader.
9. What is the #1 preference prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog?
10. How important are physical traits in choosing a dog for McConnell?
(a) Important for men.
(b) Very important.
(c) Important for women.
(d) Not important.
11. What does McConnell advise about an alpha rollover?
(a) She does condone it.
(b) She sometimes condones it.
(c) She does not condone it.
(d) She is indifferent to it.
12. What does lack of eye contact signal to a dog?
(a) That interaction is over for the time being.
(b) That you want to be friends with the dog.
(c) That you don't want to punish the dog.
(d) That interaction will commence.
13. Why does McConnell advise against purchasing a dog from a puppy mill?
(a) Because it is not as convenient.
(b) Because the dogs are not purebreds.
(c) Because the dogs are abused.
(d) Because it can be expensive.
14. What advice does McConnell give for an owner who has lost a pet?
(a) Volunteer at an animal shelter and rely on your human support structure.
(b) Adopt a puppy and volunteer at an animal shelter.
(c) Take time and rely on your human support structure.
(d) Take time and adopt a puppy.
15. Why is it important to ask a breeder about a dog's lineage?
(a) To get as much information about its physical traits.
(b) To get as much information about its ability to show.
(c) To get as much information about its personality.
(d) To get as much information about its monetary worth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Should an owner choose a breed if she or he wants a personality?
2. Why will a submissive dog urinate before a more dominant dog?
3. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
4. What does McConnell NOT consider a betrayal?
5. Chimpanzees and _______will carry a dead infant for days, even though it is rotting.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)