|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the "sensitive period" occur in a dog's life?
(a) From birth to 3 or 4 months.
(b) From 3 to 4 months.
(c) From 1 to 3 months.
(d) From birth to 2 or 3 months.
2. Does McConnell believe that dogs can be moody?
(a) It depends on the size.
(d) It depends on the breed.
3. What choice should humans make in regard to how they treat dogs, according to McConnell?
(a) Humans should choose to be the benevolent, kind follower.
(b) Humans should choose to be the indifferent, passive follower.
(c) Humans should choose to be the benevolent, wise leader.
(d) Humans should choose to be the aggressive, strong leader.
4. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
(a) The dog's.
(b) The owner's.
(c) The owner's and the dog's.
(d) It doesn't matter.
5. What kind of behavioral disorders will a dog develop if it is not properly trained during the "sensitive period"?
(a) A dog may snap and bark at strangers and not learn.
(b) A dog will not be housetrained and may snap and bark at strangers.
(c) A dog will not learn or bond with other dogs.
(d) A dog will not be housetrained or bond with other dogs.
6. According to McConnell, where do dogs not necessarily like to be petted?
(a) On the back.
(b) Under the chin.
(c) Top of the head.
(d) On the side.
7. When should submission be given by a dog, according to McConnell?
(a) Before a relationship is established.
(b) When an owner demands it.
(c) When a dog is still a puppy.
(d) After a relationship is established.
8. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
(a) To release the dog from the command.
(b) To reward the dog for obeying the command.
(c) To reassure the dog that it's okay to follow the command.
(d) To reinforce the command for the dog.
9. What is the cause of many behavior problems, according to McConnell?
10. According to McConnell, how are dogs like children when it comes to getting what they want?
(a) Like children, dogs are helpless without getting what they want.
(b) Like children, dogs should be nurtured and given what they want.
(c) Like children, dogs need to learn that they don't always get what they want.
(d) Like children, dogs are constantly crying for what they want.
11. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
(a) Because a dog always wants to be in the highest category.
(b) Because a dog can fit into multiple categories.
(c) Because a dog stays in its own category.
(d) Because a dog always wants to be with other dogs in the same category.
12. What is a poorly understood phenomenon regarding death?
(a) What it does to a companion of an animal.
(b) What it does to a companion of a person.
(c) What it does to a parent of a child.
(d) What it does to a parent of an animal.
13. According to McConnell, do all dogs enjoy petting?
(a) No, big dogs do not like to be petted.
(b) Yes, especially big dogs like to be petted.
(c) No, some dogs do not like to be petted.
(d) Yes, all dogs like to be petted.
14. How important are physical traits in choosing a dog for McConnell?
(a) Important for men.
(b) Not important.
(c) Very important.
(d) Important for women.
15. Why does McConnell dislike her least favorite responsibility?
(a) Because she can get hurt.
(b) Because the owners are heartbroken.
(c) Because she doesn't want to see a dog die.
(d) Because it is demanding work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are elephants famous for in the way they respond to death?
2. According to McConnell, much of a dog's behavior has to do with what is _______versus what is _______.
3. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
4. Why are humans hardwired to find babies adorable, according to McConnell?
5. Does McConnell see similarities in personality between humans and dogs?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)