|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, do all dogs enjoy petting?
(a) Yes, especially big dogs like to be petted.
(b) Yes, all dogs like to be petted.
(c) No, big dogs do not like to be petted.
(d) No, some dogs do not like to be petted.
2. What is the ideal way of correcting bad behavior, according to McConnell?
(a) Interrupting the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
(b) Waiting for the bad behavior to stop and praising the cessation of bad behavior.
(c) Interrupting the bad behavior and punishing the bad behavior.
(d) Yelling at the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
3. According to studies McConnell cites, what are the similarities between grieving over a pet and grieving over a person?
(a) Studies show that grieving over a pet is more intense.
(b) Studies show that grieving of a pet is less intense.
(c) Studies show that the stages of grief are the same.
(d) Studies show that there are few similarities between them.
4. Why is it important to consider a dog's personality when choosing a breed?
(a) Because a good dog is more expensive.
(b) Because a cute dog can be a nasty dog.
(c) Because there is a link between personality and longevity.
(d) Because there are so many dogs with bad personalities.
5. Who are the omegas in a social hierarchy?
(a) They are the followers who were once leaders.
(b) They are the leaders who wish to give up their position.
(c) They are followers who are content with their position.
(d) They are status seekers who wish to improve their position.
6. What do owners expect from dogs all the time that dogs cannot provide, according to McConnell?
(a) Dogs can't listen to an owners' commands all the time.
(b) Dogs can't go to be the same time every night.
(c) Dogs can't behave the same way all the time.
(d) Dogs can't exercise the same way all the time.
7. According to McConnell, much of a dog's behavior has to do with what is _______versus what is _______.
(a) Familiar; unfamiliar.
(b) Safe; dangerous.
(c) real; fake.
(d) Appealing; unappealing.
8. According to McConnell, dog ______changes just like human _________.
(a) Personality; personality.
(b) Desire; desire.
(c) Needs; needs.
(d) Behavior; behavior.
9. What does McConnell believe about how the majority of prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog on?
(a) She doesn't support it.
(b) She doesn't support certain breeds.
(c) She supports it.
(d) She supports certain breeds.
10. Why does McConnell advocate for a dog to be in the right environment for its breed?
(a) Because otherwise it is a disservice to the dog.
(b) Because otherwise it will be expensive to keep the dog.
(c) Because otherwise the owners will give up on the dog.
(d) Because otherwise the dog cannot be trained.
11. Why is it important to ask a breeder about a dog's lineage?
(a) To get as much information about its physical traits.
(b) To get as much information about its monetary worth.
(c) To get as much information about its personality.
(d) To get as much information about its ability to show.
12. According to McConnell, where does the most aggression in a social hierarchy occur?
(a) Within the omega group.
(b) Within the alpha group.
(c) Within the beta group.
(d) Within all the groups.
13. What is the #1 preference prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog?
14. When does the "sensitive period" occur in a dog's life?
(a) From 3 to 4 months.
(b) From 1 to 3 months.
(c) From birth to 3 or 4 months.
(d) From birth to 2 or 3 months.
15. What is one example of a dog who cannot be cooped up in a city apartment?
(a) An Affenpinscher.
(b) A Yorkshire Terrier.
(c) An Italian Greyhound.
(d) A Border Collie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "ventral-ventral contact" mean?
2. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
3. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
4. What kind of breed needs a lot of activity, according to McConnell?
5. What are show dogs typically bred for?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)