|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does NOT display affection by "ventral-ventral contact"
(c) Every one.
2. According to McConnell, what should an owner NOT assume about petting her or his dog?
(a) That the dog does not want to be petted.
(b) That others do not want to pet the dog.
(c) That the dog wants to be petted.
(d) That others want to pet the dog.
3. According to McConnell, do all dogs enjoy petting?
(a) Yes, all dogs like to be petted.
(b) Yes, especially big dogs like to be petted.
(c) No, some dogs do not like to be petted.
(d) No, big dogs do not like to be petted.
4. Why is it important to consider a dog's personality when choosing a breed?
(a) Because a cute dog can be a nasty dog.
(b) Because there are so many dogs with bad personalities.
(c) Because there is a link between personality and longevity.
(d) Because a good dog is more expensive.
5. Why are humans hardwired to find babies adorable, according to McConnell?
(a) Because adults depend on parenting to reproduce.
(b) Because parenting is rewarding.
(c) Because rearing a baby is natural.
(d) Because babies depend on parental nurturing to survive.
6. What is the ideal way of correcting bad behavior, according to McConnell?
(a) Interrupting the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
(b) Yelling at the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
(c) Interrupting the bad behavior and punishing the bad behavior.
(d) Waiting for the bad behavior to stop and praising the cessation of bad behavior.
7. What is a poorly understood phenomenon regarding death?
(a) What it does to a companion of an animal.
(b) What it does to a parent of an animal.
(c) What it does to a companion of a person.
(d) What it does to a parent of a child.
8. According to McConnell, do humans and dogs living together constitute a single, unified social hierarchy?
(b) It depends on the breed.
(c) In certain parts of the world.
9. What are two other ways to distract a dog from its unwanted behavior, according to McConnell?
(a) Give it food and take it on a walk.
(b) Give it affection and give it another command.
(c) Give it food and give it another command.
(d) Give it affection and take it on a walk.
10. What does McConnell NOT consider a betrayal?
(a) Giving up on a dog because of its age.
(b) Using negative reinforcement to train a dog.
(c) Adopting a dog when you can't afford one.
(d) Rehoming a dog into a safe and happy environment.
11. What is the command McConnell suggests to give a dog so that it will wait at the door?
12. What three things should an owner do to prevent a dog from leaping onto her or his lap?
(a) Body block, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
(b) Get up, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(c) Body block, avert eye contact, tell the dog "No."
(d) Get up, make eye contact, tell the dog "Stop."
13. What is the cause of many behavior problems, according to McConnell?
14. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
(a) To reinforce the command for the dog.
(b) To reassure the dog that it's okay to follow the command.
(c) To reward the dog for obeying the command.
(d) To release the dog from the command.
15. According to studies McConnell cites, what are the similarities between grieving over a pet and grieving over a person?
(a) Studies show that grieving over a pet is more intense.
(b) Studies show that the stages of grief are the same.
(c) Studies show that grieving of a pet is less intense.
(d) Studies show that there are few similarities between them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
2. Does McConnell believe that generalizations about breeds are correct?
3. According to McConnell, where does the most aggression in a social hierarchy occur?
4. According to McConnell, dog ______changes just like human _________.
5. McConnell states that a theory of "___________" is the ideal way to deal with a dog.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)