|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the leader in a social hierarchy called?
2. What does lack of eye contact signal to a dog?
(a) That you want to be friends with the dog.
(b) That interaction is over for the time being.
(c) That you don't want to punish the dog.
(d) That interaction will commence.
3. According to McConnell, how are dogs like humans when it comes to social hierarchy?
(a) Because a dog can fit into multiple categories.
(b) Because a dog always wants to be in the highest category.
(c) Because a dog stays in its own category.
(d) Because a dog always wants to be with other dogs in the same category.
4. Who does NOT display affection by "ventral-ventral contact"
(b) Every one.
5. Does McConnell believe that dogs can be moody?
(c) It depends on the breed.
(d) It depends on the size.
6. What command should be given to curb unwanted behavior, according to McConnell?
7. When does the "sensitive period" occur in a dog's life?
(a) From birth to 3 or 4 months.
(b) From birth to 2 or 3 months.
(c) From 3 to 4 months.
(d) From 1 to 3 months.
8. What kind of breed needs a lot of activity, according to McConnell?
(a) A companion breed.
(b) A sporting breed.
(c) A hunting breed.
(d) A working breed.
9. Why will a submissive dog urinate before a more dominant dog?
(a) So that the submissive dog can mark its territory for the dominant dog.
(b) So that the submissive dog can assert its dominance over the dominant dog.
(c) So that the dominant dog can overmark the submissive dog's urine.
(d) So that the dominant dog can permit the submissive dog to approach.
10. What are show dogs typically bred for?
(c) Physical traits.
11. Does McConnell see similarities in personality between humans and dogs?
(c) It depends on the breed.
(d) It depends on the age.
12. What is the command McConnell suggests to give a dog so that it will wait at the door?
13. According to McConnell, where does the most aggression in a social hierarchy occur?
(a) Within the beta group.
(b) Within all the groups.
(c) Within the alpha group.
(d) Within the omega group.
14. What does McConnell advise about an alpha rollover?
(a) She sometimes condones it.
(b) She is indifferent to it.
(c) She does condone it.
(d) She does not condone it.
15. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
(a) To release the dog from the command.
(b) To reinforce the command for the dog.
(c) To reward the dog for obeying the command.
(d) To reassure the dog that it's okay to follow the command.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the #1 preference prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog?
2. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
3. Who are the betas in a social hierarchy?
4. McConnell states that what is contrary to a dog's nature?
5. What kind of behavioral disorders will a dog develop if it is not properly trained during the "sensitive period"?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)