|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does McConnell advocate choosing a dog for its physical traits?
(a) It depends on the breed.
(c) It depends on the breeder.
2. Why is it important to ask a breeder about a dog's lineage?
(a) To get as much information about its monetary worth.
(b) To get as much information about its ability to show.
(c) To get as much information about its physical traits.
(d) To get as much information about its personality.
3. What is the leader in a social hierarchy called?
4. What kind of breed needs a lot of activity, according to McConnell?
(a) A hunting breed.
(b) A sporting breed.
(c) A companion breed.
(d) A working breed.
5. What do owners expect from dogs all the time that dogs cannot provide, according to McConnell?
(a) Dogs can't go to be the same time every night.
(b) Dogs can't listen to an owners' commands all the time.
(c) Dogs can't exercise the same way all the time.
(d) Dogs can't behave the same way all the time.
6. Should an owner choose a breed if she or he wants a personality?
(a) It depends on the breeder.
(c) It depends on the owner.
7. Why will a submissive dog urinate before a more dominant dog?
(a) So that the submissive dog can mark its territory for the dominant dog.
(b) So that the dominant dog can permit the submissive dog to approach.
(c) So that the dominant dog can overmark the submissive dog's urine.
(d) So that the submissive dog can assert its dominance over the dominant dog.
8. McConnell states that a theory of "___________" is the ideal way to deal with a dog.
(a) "Tough leadership."
(b) "Benevolent love."
(c) "Tough love."
(d) "Benevolent leadership."
9. Besides chimps, who are our closest primate relatives?
10. Why should an owner give two pats on the dog's head after saying the command to curb unwanted behavior?
(a) To reward the dog for obeying the command.
(b) To release the dog from the command.
(c) To reassure the dog that it's okay to follow the command.
(d) To reinforce the command for the dog.
11. Who is usually confident in his position in the social hierarchy?
(a) The delta dog.
(b) The alpha dog.
(c) The beta dog.
(d) The omega dog.
12. Who are dogs' ancestors?
13. What does "ventral-ventral contact" mean?
(a) Physical closeness.
(c) Eye contact.
14. What is the name of the book by Marc Hauser McConnell discusses?
(a) Wild Winds.
(b) Wild Times.
(c) Wild Hearts.
(d) Wild Minds.
15. Why does McConnell advocate for a dog to be in the right environment for its breed?
(a) Because otherwise it will be expensive to keep the dog.
(b) Because otherwise the dog cannot be trained.
(c) Because otherwise it is a disservice to the dog.
(d) Because otherwise the owners will give up on the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does McConnell provide that is an analogous to leaving a pack?
2. According to McConnell, do individual wolves leave their pack?
3. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
4. According to McConnell, what can happen when an owner caters to a dog?
5. What is the ideal way of correcting bad behavior, according to McConnell?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)