|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one claim owners make about their dog's personality that is erroneous, according to McConnell?
(a) "But he never acts this way at home!"
(b) "But he acts different in new environments!"
(c) "But he can't be trained!"
(d) "But he doesn't like treats!"
2. According to McConnell, what should an owner NOT assume about petting her or his dog?
(a) That the dog does not want to be petted.
(b) That others do not want to pet the dog.
(c) That the dog wants to be petted.
(d) That others want to pet the dog.
3. At the vet's, how should an owner pet her or his dog to calm it down?
(a) Short and fast.
(b) Short and slow.
(c) Long and fast.
(d) Long and slow.
4. According to McConnell, why is there aggression in a social hierarchy?
(a) Because all dogs are aggressive.
(b) Because there are dogs fighting for dominance.
(c) Because the leader has to fight to remain dominant.
(d) Because there is constant flux in every group.
5. What is the cause of many behavior problems, according to McConnell?
6. What do dogs need that owners should provide in order to prevent behavior problems?
7. What is the word an owner should give once the dog has waited at the door for a moment?
8. What is the name of the book by Marc Hauser McConnell discusses?
(a) Wild Winds.
(b) Wild Hearts.
(c) Wild Times.
(d) Wild Minds.
9. According to McConnell, whose personality should an owner gauge when considering adopting a dog?
(a) The owner's and the dog's.
(b) It doesn't matter.
(c) The owner's.
(d) The dog's.
10. According to McConnell, what can happen when an owner caters to a dog?
(a) The dog can have behavior problems.
(b) Other dogs will be too aggressive with the dog.
(c) The dog will be well-adjusted.
(d) The dog may become too submissive.
11. Why is it important to ask a breeder about a dog's lineage?
(a) To get as much information about its ability to show.
(b) To get as much information about its personality.
(c) To get as much information about its physical traits.
(d) To get as much information about its monetary worth.
12. What is the #2 preference prospective owners base their decision to adopt or buy a dog?
13. Does McConnell advocate choosing a dog for its physical traits?
(a) It depends on the breeder.
(b) It depends on the breed.
14. What is the ideal way of correcting bad behavior, according to McConnell?
(a) Yelling at the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
(b) Waiting for the bad behavior to stop and praising the cessation of bad behavior.
(c) Interrupting the bad behavior and redirecting it to a desired behavior.
(d) Interrupting the bad behavior and punishing the bad behavior.
15. What is a poorly understood phenomenon regarding death?
(a) What it does to a companion of a person.
(b) What it does to a parent of a child.
(c) What it does to a companion of an animal.
(d) What it does to a parent of an animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does McConnell believe that generalizations about breeds are correct?
2. What should an owner do if the dog persists in an unwanted behavior?
3. What does lack of eye contact signal to a dog?
4. According to McConnell, why is social structure NOT as important to dogs as many might think?
5. What is the example of "group bereavement" Andy Beck observed?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)