|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can a person tell if a dog is threatening or submissive?
(a) A threatening dog leans forward, a submissive dog leans back.
(b) A threatening dog runs forward, a submissive dog runs back.
(c) A threatening dog will lunge, a submissive dog will not.
(d) A threatening dog barks, a submissive dog does not.
2. According to McConnell, what do decades of research indicate about what almost all dogs respond to?
(a) That almost all dogs respond to gustation stimuli.
(b) That almost all dogs respond to aural stimuli.
(c) That almost all dogs respond to physical stimuli.
(d) That almost all dogs respond to visual stimuli.
3. What is habituation?
(a) Habituation occurs when a stimulus is so contant as to become meaningless.
(b) Habituation is the final step in dog training.
(c) Habituation occurs when a dog has a habit that cannot be broken.
(d) Habituation is the process of cohabitating with a dog.
4. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to have a relatively poor sense of smell?
(b) Italian greyhounds.
(c) Scottish terriers.
5. What is "doggie play bow"?
(a) Slightly crouched stance.
(b) Touching hands on the ground.
(c) Kneeling on the ground.
(d) Spreading feet apart.
6. What do dogs equate loudness to?
7. What kind of animal behaviorist is Patricia McConnell?
(a) A genetic animal behaviorist.
(b) An applied animal behaviorist.
(c) A theoretical animal behaviorist.
(d) A biological animal behaviorist.
8. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
(a) That it is unimportant.
(b) That it is superior to dogs.
(c) That it is inferior to dogs.
(d) That it is very important.
9. Why would an owner use "pup pup pup"?
(a) To get the dog to come.
(b) To tell the dog to stay.
(c) To offer the dog a treat.
(d) To give the dog a task.
10. What can a dog do if it gets fed up or angry with play fighting?
(a) The dog can disobey.
(b) The dog can lash out.
(c) The dog can get hurt.
(d) The dog can run away.
11. When first training a dog to play fetch, what should an owner do?
(a) Throw a ball a few feet away.
(b) Kick the ball to the dog.
(c) Give the ball with a hand.
(d) Throw a ball far away.
12. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
(a) A dog's.
(b) An athlete's.
(c) A mechanic's.
(d) A psychologist's.
13. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
(a) Closeness, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(b) Distance, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(c) Distance, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(d) Closeness, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
14. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
(a) To stop animals and take control of the situation.
(b) To save animals from potential danger.
(c) To spur animals and make them go faster.
(d) To distract animals from unwanted behavior.
15. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
(a) She kicks the dog.
(b) She pets the dog.
(c) She yells at the dog.
(d) She retreats from the dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one way humans can teach dogs to see them as familiar and not a stranger?
2. What are low pitched sounds used for?
3. Can dogs sniff out land mines and cancer?
4. How did researchers discover that paedomorphism is also physiological?
5. What ingrained behavior is considered affectionate for humans but rude for dogs and should be avoided?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)