|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will primates do with the objects around them?
(a) Use them as weapons.
(b) Ignore them.
(c) Manipulate them to get food.
(d) Barter them for comfort.
2. What is the human equivalent of a "hip slam" and "shoulder slam"?
(a) "Arm block."
(b) "Back block."
(c) "Body block."
(d) "Leg block."
3. What have scientists observed as the one crucial difference between primates and humans?
4. How did researchers discover that paedomorphism is also physiological?
(a) By breeding for docility in foxes.
(b) By breeding for docility in humans.
(c) By breeding for docility in dogs.
(d) By breeding for docility in primates.
5. For primates and dogs, what is looking away a method of?
(a) Allowing contact or conflict.
(b) Advancing contact or conflict.
(c) Avoiding contact or conflict.
(d) Addressing contact or conflict.
6. What are low pitched sounds used for?
(a) Authority, threat, disapproval.
(b) Positivity, authority, cheerfulness.
(c) Authority, encouragement, positivity.
(d) Disapproval, authority, positivity.
7. How many scent receptors do dogs have?
(a) 20 million.
(b) 5 million.
(c) 220 million.
(d) 120 million.
8. According to McConnell, how do dogs feel about humans petting them?
(a) They always like to be petted.
(b) They do not always like to be petted.
(c) They only like to be petted after they've eaten.
(d) They sometimes like to be petted when they're hungry.
9. What ingrained behavior is considered affectionate for humans but rude for dogs and should be avoided?
10. When teaching a dog how to play fetch, what does McConnell recommend doing in lieu of prying a ball from a dog's mouth?
(a) Using another ball to distract the dog.
(b) Sitting in front of the dog.
(c) Wait for the dog to drop the ball.
(d) Walking away from the dog.
11. According to McConnell, what is the best word to use to encourage a dog's silence?
12. How many scent receptors do humans have?
(a) 120 million.
(b) 220 million.
(c) 20 million.
(d) 5 million.
13. How do male and female humans engage in play fighting?
(a) Females tend to play fight more.
(b) Neither males nor females engage in play fighting.
(c) Males tend to play fight more.
(d) Males and females engage in play fighting equally.
14. How conscious are dogs of their pheromones?
(a) Conscious except during sex.
(c) Not conscious.
(d) Not conscious except during sex.
15. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
(a) Distance, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(b) Closeness, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(c) Closeness, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(d) Distance, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
Short Answer Questions
1. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
2. When an owner yells at a dog to stop barking, what is she or he encouraging the dog to do?
3. How can an owner encourage a dog to stop barking?
4. What is paedomorphism?
5. According to McConnell, an owner's body should be trained like what?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)