|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many forms of play does McConnell recommend?
2. What form of play does McConnell NOT recommend?
(b) Hide and Seek.
3. For primates and dogs, what is looking away a method of?
(a) Allowing contact or conflict.
(b) Advancing contact or conflict.
(c) Addressing contact or conflict.
(d) Avoiding contact or conflict.
4. What does a person who wants to block have to do?
(a) Move at the same time as the dog by running towards the space the dog has entered.
(b) Move after the dog has moved and lunge after the dog with your arms.
(c) Anticipate a dog's movement and step in the space you do not want a dog to enter.
(d) Ignore a dog's movement by turning your back on the dog and walking away.
5. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
(a) Distance, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(b) Closeness, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(c) Closeness, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(d) Distance, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
6. According to McConnell, how can an owner effectively housebreak a dog?
(a) By keeping the dog outside of the home.
(b) By telling the dog no when it has an accident int he home.
(c) By completely elimating the odor of urine or feces in the home.
(d) By rubbing the dog's nose in urine and feces in the home.
7. Why should a person "release the pressure" after she or he has initiated a block?
(a) Because dogs should be rewarded after a negative behavior has stopped.
(b) Because dogs cannot see from a close distance.
(c) Because dogs cannot behave if a human is too close.
(d) Because dogs become threatened if a human is too close.
8. Why do wolf and canine packs use "hip slams" and "shoulder slams"?
(a) To appear larger than they are.
(b) To hide their fear.
(c) To stake out their territory.
(d) To entice the opposite sex.
9. What is the best way to sniff, according to McConnell?
(a) Use long inhales.
(b) Use one short inhale.
(c) Use short inhales.
(d) Use one long inhale.
10. If a parent play fights with a dog, how will the dog play fight with a child?
(a) With less energy.
(b) With more energy.
(c) It depends.
(d) With the same amount of energy.
11. How many languages do the animal handlers McConnell researches use?
12. What is "doggie play bow"?
(a) Touching hands on the ground.
(b) Kneeling on the ground.
(c) Spreading feet apart.
(d) Slightly crouched stance.
13. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
(a) That it is unimportant.
(b) That it is superior to dogs.
(c) That it is inferior to dogs.
(d) That it is very important.
14. McConnell suggests sniffing different parts of the house, plants, books, bedsheets, in order to determine what?
(a) If another person has been there.
(b) If a dog has been there.
(c) If they are clean.
(d) If there are distinct odors.
15. What is the biggest misconception owner's make regarding their influence on a dog's behavior?
(a) That their size is their biggest influence.
(b) That their speed is their biggest influence.
(c) That their body is their biggest influence.
(d) That their voice is their biggest influence.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
2. What ingrained behavior is considered affectionate for humans but rude for dogs and should be avoided?
3. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to have a relatively poor sense of smell?
4. What is a dog pushing the corners of her or his mouth back a sign of?
5. What is one way humans can teach dogs to see them as familiar and not a stranger?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)