Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to McConnell, both humans and dogs are ______and_______.
(a) Highly oral and shy.
(b) Highly visual and social.
(c) Highly sensitive and shy.
(d) Highly oral and social.
2. According to McConnell, what do decades of research indicate about what almost all dogs respond to?
(a) That almost all dogs respond to aural stimuli.
(b) That almost all dogs respond to physical stimuli.
(c) That almost all dogs respond to visual stimuli.
(d) That almost all dogs respond to gustation stimuli.
3. What will primates do with the objects around them?
(a) Manipulate them to get food.
(b) Ignore them.
(c) Use them as weapons.
(d) Barter them for comfort.
4. When an owner yells at a dog to stop barking, what is she or he encouraging the dog to do?
(a) Continue to bark.
(b) Sit down.
(c) Run away.
(d) Stop barking.
5. What is "doggie play bow"?
(a) Spreading feet apart.
(b) Kneeling on the ground.
(c) Slightly crouched stance.
(d) Touching hands on the ground.
6. What are the corners of a dog's mouth called?
7. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
(a) Distance, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(b) Closeness, face-to-face contact, and direct eye contact.
(c) Distance, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
(d) Closeness, no face-to-face contact, and no direct eye contact.
8. What is a dog pushing the corners of her or his mouth back a sign of?
(a) Fear and aggression.
(b) Excitement and aggression.
(c) Excitement and submissiveness.
(d) Fear and submissiveness.
9. What ingrained behavior is considered affectionate for humans but rude for dogs and should be avoided?
10. How conscious are humans of their pheromones?
(b) Not conscious.
(c) Not consious except during sex.
(d) Conscious except during sex.
11. What is one way humans can teach dogs to see them as familiar and not a stranger?
(a) Talk in the same voice.
(b) Wear a hat around the house.
(c) Eat in front of the dog.
(d) Walk the dog every day.
12. What is the vomero-nasal organ on a dog?
(a) It is a structure that closes off smell molecules.
(b) It is a structure that smell molecules can't stick to.
(c) It is a structure that scent molecules stick to.
(d) It is a structure that lets in smell molecules.
13. How can an owner encourage a dog to stop barking?
(a) Yell at the dog.
(b) Give the dog affection.
(c) Ignore the dog.
(d) Lure the dog with treats.
14. According to McConnell, humans are "living, breathing _____machine guns."
15. What does "Motherese" mean?
(a) It is difficult speech.
(b) It is approximate speech.
(c) It is universal speech.
(d) It is maternal speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best way to sniff, according to McConnell?
2. Why did a dog growl and snap at visitors who had recently eaten pizza?
3. According to McConnell, small _______impart big meaning for a dog.
4. When a dog plays "keep away" what is she or he doing?
5. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)