|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use slow, continuous notes for what purpose?
(a) To enourage animals to stay calm.
(b) To get animals to slow down.
(c) To distract animals from potential danger.
(d) To stop animals from disobeying.
2. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Only female dogs wrestle.
(b) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(c) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
(d) Only male dogs wrestle.
3. How can an owner encourage a dog to stop barking?
(a) Give the dog affection.
(b) Yell at the dog.
(c) Lure the dog with treats.
(d) Ignore the dog.
4. What are the corners of a dog's mouth called?
5. What is the biggest misconception owner's make regarding their influence on a dog's behavior?
(a) That their voice is their biggest influence.
(b) That their body is their biggest influence.
(c) That their size is their biggest influence.
(d) That their speed is their biggest influence.
6. How many animal handlers has McConnell researched for her book?
7. What is habituation?
(a) Habituation occurs when a stimulus is so contant as to become meaningless.
(b) Habituation is the final step in dog training.
(c) Habituation occurs when a dog has a habit that cannot be broken.
(d) Habituation is the process of cohabitating with a dog.
8. What will primates do with the objects around them?
(a) Use them as weapons.
(b) Barter them for comfort.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Manipulate them to get food.
9. According to McConnell, what is the best word to use to encourage a dog's silence?
10. How can a person tell if a dog is threatening or submissive?
(a) A threatening dog runs forward, a submissive dog runs back.
(b) A threatening dog leans forward, a submissive dog leans back.
(c) A threatening dog will lunge, a submissive dog will not.
(d) A threatening dog barks, a submissive dog does not.
11. Whose nostrils can move independently from their face?
12. What does "Motherese" mean?
(a) It is maternal speech.
(b) It is difficult speech.
(c) It is approximate speech.
(d) It is universal speech.
13. What are low pitched sounds used for?
(a) Positivity, authority, cheerfulness.
(b) Authority, encouragement, positivity.
(c) Disapproval, authority, positivity.
(d) Authority, threat, disapproval.
14. How many languages do the animal handlers McConnell researches use?
15. According to McConnell, small _______impart big meaning for a dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog lunges at McConnell in front of an audience in the opening chapter?
2. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
3. What is paedomorphism?
4. According to McConnell, humans are "living, breathing _____machine guns."
5. What three behaviors do dogs consider highly rude?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)