|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does commanding "down" for a dog to lie down and "down" for a dog to get off the couch confusing?
(a) Because a dog doesn't want to obey.
(b) Because a dog is inclined to do both behaviors.
(c) Because a dog cannot understand down.
(d) Because they are entirely separate behaviors.
2. What is the first step a person should do in order to ingratiate her or himself with a dog?
(a) Talk to the dog from ten feet away.
(b) Approach the dog.
(c) Give treats from your hand.
(d) Throw treats from ten feet away.
3. What is "doggie play bow"?
(a) Touching hands on the ground.
(b) Spreading feet apart.
(c) Kneeling on the ground.
(d) Slightly crouched stance.
4. What is "object play" associated with for humans?
(a) Our primate heritage.
(b) Our memory.
(c) Our intelligence.
(d) Our speech ability.
5. What are high pitched sounds NOT used for?
6. What have scientists observed as the one crucial difference between primates and humans?
7. What kind of animal behaviorist is Patricia McConnell?
(a) A biological animal behaviorist.
(b) A genetic animal behaviorist.
(c) A theoretical animal behaviorist.
(d) An applied animal behaviorist.
8. What are the corners of a dog's mouth called?
9. What will primates do with the objects around them?
(a) Manipulate them to get food.
(b) Barter them for comfort.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Use them as weapons.
10. McConnell suggests sniffing different parts of the house, plants, books, bedsheets, in order to determine what?
(a) If they are clean.
(b) If there are distinct odors.
(c) If a dog has been there.
(d) If another person has been there.
11. According to McConnell, how do dogs feel about humans petting them?
(a) They do not always like to be petted.
(b) They sometimes like to be petted when they're hungry.
(c) They always like to be petted.
(d) They only like to be petted after they've eaten.
12. How many forms of play does McConnell recommend?
13. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
(b) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(c) Only female dogs wrestle.
(d) Only male dogs wrestle.
14. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
(a) She kicks the dog.
(b) She yells at the dog.
(c) She retreats from the dog.
(d) She pets the dog.
15. What does a person who wants to block have to do?
(a) Anticipate a dog's movement and step in the space you do not want a dog to enter.
(b) Move at the same time as the dog by running towards the space the dog has entered.
(c) Ignore a dog's movement by turning your back on the dog and walking away.
(d) Move after the dog has moved and lunge after the dog with your arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is McConnell doing when she mistakenly gets too close to the dog in front of an audience?
2. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use slow, continuous notes for what purpose?
3. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to be one of the greatest sniffers?
4. Whose nostrils can move independently from their face?
5. How many scent receptors do humans have?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)