|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does McConnell respond to the dog when it lunges at her in front of an audience?
(a) She yells at the dog.
(b) She kicks the dog.
(c) She retreats from the dog.
(d) She pets the dog.
2. Why did a dog growl and snap at visitors who had recently eaten pizza?
(a) Because she remembered her owner yelling at her after they ate pizza.
(b) Because she remembered her owner kicking her when she ate pizza.
(c) Because she remembered a pizza delivery boy kicking her.
(d) Because she remembered a pizza delivery boy yelling at her when he delivered pizza.
3. How large is the "smell" part of a dog's brain in relation to a human's?
(a) It is 14 times larger.
(b) It is 4 times smaller.
(c) It is 14 times smaller.
(d) It is 4 times larger.
4. What is an example of "object play" for humans?
(d) Word games.
5. Why is it confusing for a dog when a person uses similar phrasing?
(a) Because these phrases sound completely alike to a dog.
(b) Because these phrases sound submissive to a dog.
(c) Because these phrases sound completely different to a dog.
(d) Because these phrases sound aggressive to a dog.
6. When first training a dog to play fetch, what should an owner do?
(a) Give the ball with a hand.
(b) Throw a ball far away.
(c) Kick the ball to the dog.
(d) Throw a ball a few feet away.
7. McConnell concluded that animal handlers use rapid sounds for what purpose?
(a) To save animals from potential danger.
(b) To stop animals and take control of the situation.
(c) To spur animals and make them go faster.
(d) To distract animals from unwanted behavior.
8. According to McConnell, what is the best word to use to encourage a dog's silence?
9. What main difference is there between humans play fighting and dogs play fighting?
(a) Only female dogs wrestle.
(b) Both female and male dogs wrestle equally.
(c) Both female and male humans wrestle equally.
(d) Only male dogs wrestle.
10. What should an owner do who wants to avoid a dog from crawling into her or his lap?
(a) Get up from the seat and walk away purposefully.
(b) Move to the side and turn toward the dog purposefully.
(c) Do a doogie play bow and look at the dog purposefully.
(d) Do a torso body block and turn your head away purposefully.
11. What is the first step a person should do in order to ingratiate her or himself with a dog?
(a) Give treats from your hand.
(b) Approach the dog.
(c) Throw treats from ten feet away.
(d) Talk to the dog from ten feet away.
12. According to McConnell what is a great way for rewarding a dog that stays?
(a) Talking nicely to the dog.
(b) Giving the dog a treat.
(c) Petting the dog.
(d) Letting the dog run free.
13. How do male and female humans engage in play fighting?
(a) Females tend to play fight more.
(b) Neither males nor females engage in play fighting.
(c) Males tend to play fight more.
(d) Males and females engage in play fighting equally.
14. How should a person greet a new dog so as not to appear aggressive or rude?
(a) Lean back.
(b) Hold out a hand.
(c) Step forward.
(d) Crouch down.
15. According to McConnell, which breed is considered to have a relatively poor sense of smell?
(c) Scottish terriers.
(d) Italian greyhounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "doggie play bow"?
2. What is a little known fact regarding humans sense of smell?
3. What is paedomorphism?
4. What can a dog do if it gets fed up or angry with play fighting?
5. How can an owner make themselves the object of a chase?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)