|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Anne just misses Mary?
2. What is "Sending a Cardinal to Hell"?
3. Who has grown fat and gluttonous?
4. What does the Pope do to Henry?
5. From whom does Mary receive a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom is the King in hearings?
2. Why does Anne summon Mary back to court?
3. Who are the people who know of Anne's latest pregnancy?
4. What is Anne promised if she signs the annulment papers quickly?
5. How does George first experience the public's rejection of Anne?
6. What does Anne have built for Henry for a New Year present?
7. Who is taken to the tower and imprisoned?
8. What is Anne's reaction when Mary tells her she is pregnant and married?
9. When Mary is summoned back to court, what are the conditions?
10. Who marries Henry and Anne and what does he think of Henry's previous marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary is the sister that is asked to do a lot for the family, and she rarely questions it.
Part 1: Why do you think Mary goes along with the plans of her family?
Part 2: What are some of the things Mary does that she disagrees with?
Part 3: Do you think Mary feels like a pawn in the court life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Being a homosexual was a crime in the time of Henry VIII. And yet, there are homosexual characters in this novel.
Part 1: Why do you think being a homosexual was considered a crime?
Part 2: Why do you think George was so open about his sexuality, much to the dismay of his sisters?
Part 3: What do you think of the possible child that George and Anne created? What does that possibility say to you about these characters?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a nobody is something that keeps Mary away from William for a while.
Part 1: How does one define "nobody" in this story?
Part 2: Give a list of some of the nobodies in the story.
Part 3: When Mary is told she doesn't really want to be a nobody, even though she does marry one, what does this say about Mary?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)