|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anne insist on taking with her when she is arrested?
2. What was sent for Mary and William's journey?
3. Who asks to call William "Father"?
4. Who thinks Anne just misses Mary?
5. Who are the two women Henry is torn between?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne instructed to tell Henry about her miscarriage?
2. What is Anne's reaction when Mary tells her she is pregnant and married?
3. Why does Anne summon Mary back to court?
4. How does Mary describe Jane Seymour to William?
5. Why will Anne not allow Mary to go to Hever?
6. Why does Howard think it is so important for Anne's child to be a boy?
7. Who is the King lustfully torn between now?
8. What is the new law the Henry legislates?
9. What does Anne have built for Henry for a New Year present?
10. Who is taken to the tower and imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many authors use foreshadowing to give the reader hints as to events to come. In the very first chapter, Mary's conversation with her mother seems to foreshadow the rest of the book.
Part 1: What happens in the conversation between Mary and her mother?
Part 2: How does this conversation foreshadow other parts of the book?
Part 3: What does this conversation say about Mary? About her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Sex is obviously a large part of this text and of the lives of the women and men in the novel.
Part 1: How does sex come into play in this novel? Who are some of the couples, for example?
Part 2: How is sex used in the story? Why do Mary and Anne, for example, have sex with the men in their lives? For love? For power? Both?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex in this time period?
Essay Topic 3
The constant searching for power and favors from the King make the Howard-Boleyn family something of an enigma to many modern readers.
Part 1: What is the goal of the Howard-Boleyn family?
Part 2: How does the family work to achieve their goal?
Part 3: Do you think this is a loving family? Why or why not?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)