|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary tell the Queen aside from the fact she's married?
2. Who is found out to have died?
3. Who is one of the people that does NOT know about Anne's pregnancy?
4. What is the charge of the men who are imprisoned?
5. When Anne's baby moves, she asks Mary to tell ____________, but corrects herself and says __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne's reaction when Mary tells her she is pregnant and married?
2. What do Anne and George do to help Anne's stillbirth?
3. What is the new law the Henry legislates?
4. What are some of the ways Anne is behaving like Queen Katherine?
5. Why does Mary fear for George's safety?
6. Who is the King lustfully torn between now?
7. What does Anne have built for Henry for a New Year present?
8. What does Mary say that the secret is of Anne and her success with the King?
9. What does George think is the cause of Anne's temper tantrums?
10. Why will Anne not allow Mary to go to Hever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sex is obviously a large part of this text and of the lives of the women and men in the novel.
Part 1: How does sex come into play in this novel? Who are some of the couples, for example?
Part 2: How is sex used in the story? Why do Mary and Anne, for example, have sex with the men in their lives? For love? For power? Both?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex in this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Mary seems to fall in love with King Henry VIII pretty easily, a little too easily for some readers. But is this really the case?
Part 1: What does Mary see in Henry VIII that makes him attractive to her?
Part 2: Is Mary talked into her feelings for the King? If so, how?
Part 3: Do you believe Mary actually loved the King? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mary has to betray Queen Katherine in the story, saying she feels she has no choice. Is this really the truth?
Part 1: What does Mary do that ends up betraying the Queen?
Part 2: What rationalization does Mary give for her actions?
Part 3: Do you agree she had no choice? Why or why not? What else could she have done if you felt she did have a choice?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)