|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two women Henry is torn between?
2. Who is pregnant during this section?
3. What was sent for Mary and William's journey?
4. To whom is Katherine writing appeals?
5. Where does Mary sit as she and George are covering for Anne and Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne have built for Henry for a New Year present?
2. What is Anne promised if she signs the annulment papers quickly?
3. Who are the people who know of Anne's latest pregnancy?
4. When Mary is summoned back to court, what are the conditions?
5. Why does Anne summon Mary back to court?
6. Who is taken to the tower and imprisoned?
7. What is Anne instructed to tell Henry about her miscarriage?
8. What are some of the ways Anne is behaving like Queen Katherine?
9. What does the reader learn about Henry's sexual performance?
10. How is Anne seen in the eyes of the English people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being a homosexual was a crime in the time of Henry VIII. And yet, there are homosexual characters in this novel.
Part 1: Why do you think being a homosexual was considered a crime?
Part 2: Why do you think George was so open about his sexuality, much to the dismay of his sisters?
Part 3: What do you think of the possible child that George and Anne created? What does that possibility say to you about these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Mary, in the end, chooses a very different life than Anne.
Part 1: Why do you think Mary chooses the simpler life?
Part 2: What does Mary's choice say about her and about her motivations?
Part 3: At the end, Mary still feels she would like to go back to court someday. Why do you think she still longs for that life?
Essay Topic 3
At its core, "The Other Boleyn Girl" is a story of wanting power in the world. Anne wants it. Mary thinks she wants it. And their family will do anything to get it.
Part 1: How does Anne strive to gain power and position in this novel? Is it effective?
Part 2: How does Mary strive to gain power and position in this novel? Is it effective?
Part 3: What does the Howard-Boleyn family do to gain power in this novel? Is it effective?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)