|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen do when asked to testify?
2. Who has allied with King Charles of Spain?
3. Who is prohibited from seeing both the King and the Queen?
4. Who is Queen Katherine's confessor?
5. What does Mary not like about the answer to #79?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the Queen missed her "courses"?
2. Describe the motivations of the Boleyn family
3. Why is the Boleyn family unsure of who to promote to the King?
4. Why does King Henry refuse to joust?
5. How has the Queen defied the King's order?
6. What does King Henry do when he hears Mary is pregnant with his child?
7. What happens after Mary's son is born?
8. What does Anne find Queen Katherine is still doing?
9. What is Mary's and George's fantasies of a dream life?
10. What is happening as Mary's pregnancy continues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To some, this novel might be seen as a declaration of a need for a feminist movement, with Mary's mindset changing rapidly as the story progresses.
Part 1: What are some examples of female power in this story?
Part 2: What are some ways women are treated as lesser creatures?
Part 3: What does it say that Mary reveals "the triumph of Anne, the mistress who had become a wife, was an inspiration to every loose girl in the country"?
Essay Topic 2
Love seems to be more of a commodity than an actual emotion in this novel at times.
Part 1: Who are some of the characters that are actually in love in this story?
Part 2: How is real love demonstrated in these relationships?
Part 3: Do you think Anne is capable of love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Anne Boleyn is executed, just as the stories and history books have told us for years.
Part 1: Why was Anne sentenced to death? What were the charges?
Part 2: Why do you think King Henry VIII waited so long to punish and execute Anne?
Part 3: Do you think it was right for Anne to be executed? Why or why not?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)