|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The joyous news was that the French had been defeated at ________.
2. Who is Henry VIII's only bastard son?
3. What causes some to believe Mary is carrying a boy?
4. While most of the family gets something in return for Anne's sexual techniques, who is left out of the King's generosity?
5. Who is sent by the Pope to make a determination on King Henry's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter from Mary's father have to tell her?
2. How does Anne attempt to have control over her sister?
3. What does Mary confess to the Queen?
4. How does King Henry take control of the church?
5. What happens to Henry Fitzroy since the King is so desperate for an heir?
6. Why doesn't Henry share a bed with Mary over the Christmas holiday?
7. Why does George have a black eye?
8. Why does Mary shed tears over the cutting of little Henry's hair?
9. What happens as a result of Mary's second pregnancy?
10. What are George's sisters' reactions to his confession of love for Francis Weston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary seems to fall in love with King Henry VIII pretty easily, a little too easily for some readers. But is this really the case?
Part 1: What does Mary see in Henry VIII that makes him attractive to her?
Part 2: Is Mary talked into her feelings for the King? If so, how?
Part 3: Do you believe Mary actually loved the King? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of a nobody is something that keeps Mary away from William for a while.
Part 1: How does one define "nobody" in this story?
Part 2: Give a list of some of the nobodies in the story.
Part 3: When Mary is told she doesn't really want to be a nobody, even though she does marry one, what does this say about Mary?
Essay Topic 3
Being a homosexual was a crime in the time of Henry VIII. And yet, there are homosexual characters in this novel.
Part 1: Why do you think being a homosexual was considered a crime?
Part 2: Why do you think George was so open about his sexuality, much to the dismay of his sisters?
Part 3: What do you think of the possible child that George and Anne created? What does that possibility say to you about these characters?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)