|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary is sent away from the court until when?
2. Anne orders Mary to go where in Autumn?
3. Uncle Howard is sure that ________ will be the next queen.
4. Who dies from the illness in #62
5. Who has allied with King Charles of Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Boleyn family unsure of who to promote to the King?
2. What is happening as Mary's pregnancy continues?
3. What are George's sisters' reactions to his confession of love for Francis Weston?
4. What happens as a result of Mary's second pregnancy?
5. What happens after Mary's son is born?
6. What does the letter from Mary's father have to tell her?
7. How has the Queen defied the King's order?
8. What happens to Henry Fitzroy since the King is so desperate for an heir?
9. Why does King Henry refuse to joust?
10. How does Anne make sure Cardinal Wolsey does not stand in the way of her plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary is the central figure of this story and also its narrator.
Part 1: Why do you think Philippa Gregory chose Mary as the narrator?
Part 2: Is the story hindered by its narrator? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is Mary a narrator that can be trusted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Anne Boleyn seems to get more of the attention in history books, she is certainly something different than the title of this novel suggests.
Part 1: Do you think Anne or Mary was the more important Boleyn girl? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 2: If you have read about Anne Boleyn before, how has your opinion changed of her?
Part 3: After seeing the progression of events in the story, is Mary a lesser or a greater character in terms of her growth in the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mary has to betray Queen Katherine in the story, saying she feels she has no choice. Is this really the truth?
Part 1: What does Mary do that ends up betraying the Queen?
Part 2: What rationalization does Mary give for her actions?
Part 3: Do you agree she had no choice? Why or why not? What else could she have done if you felt she did have a choice?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)