|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uncle Howard is sure that ________ will be the next queen.
2. What has the Queen been missing, causing others to believe she's pregnant?
3. What do Anne and Mary do when Anne arrives at court?
4. Anne needs to be _______ before she can be in bed with Henry VIII.
5. Who does Mary spend the night with as this character prays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King Henry refuse to joust?
2. Why is the King in a dark mood?
3. Why has the Queen missed her "courses"?
4. What does Mary confess to the Queen?
5. When is Anne not treated by all as the Queen of England?
6. What does Henry do at the May celebration?
7. What does the letter from Mary's father have to tell her?
8. Why has Cardinal Wolsey arranged a secret court at Westminster?
9. What is happening as Mary's pregnancy continues?
10. What is in the letter Mary receives from her sister Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary, in the end, chooses a very different life than Anne.
Part 1: Why do you think Mary chooses the simpler life?
Part 2: What does Mary's choice say about her and about her motivations?
Part 3: At the end, Mary still feels she would like to go back to court someday. Why do you think she still longs for that life?
Essay Topic 2
The King changes many rules in order to make the world the way he wants it to operate.
Part 1: List some of the rules the King made up in order to ensure he got what he wanted.
Part 2: What do you think the King's abuse of power says about him?
Part 3: Do you agree that the King should be able to change any rule on a whim? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Anne Boleyn seems to get more of the attention in history books, she is certainly something different than the title of this novel suggests.
Part 1: Do you think Anne or Mary was the more important Boleyn girl? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 2: If you have read about Anne Boleyn before, how has your opinion changed of her?
Part 3: After seeing the progression of events in the story, is Mary a lesser or a greater character in terms of her growth in the novel? Why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)