|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary name her first child?
2. From whom does Anne receive a note explaining that the Cardinal knows everything?
3. Who is treated by all as Queen of England?
4. What makes Mary a good person to promote to Henry?
5. What does the Queen wear in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the motivations of the Boleyn family
2. What is Mary's and George's fantasies of a dream life?
3. What is happening as Mary's pregnancy continues?
4. What is in the letter Mary receives from her sister Anne?
5. What happens as a result of Mary's second pregnancy?
6. Why does Mary shed tears over the cutting of little Henry's hair?
7. Why does George have a black eye?
8. What does Henry do at the May celebration?
9. Describe Mary Boleyn.
10. What happens to Henry Fitzroy since the King is so desperate for an heir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many authors use foreshadowing to give the reader hints as to events to come. In the very first chapter, Mary's conversation with her mother seems to foreshadow the rest of the book.
Part 1: What happens in the conversation between Mary and her mother?
Part 2: How does this conversation foreshadow other parts of the book?
Part 3: What does this conversation say about Mary? About her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Mary, in the end, chooses a very different life than Anne.
Part 1: Why do you think Mary chooses the simpler life?
Part 2: What does Mary's choice say about her and about her motivations?
Part 3: At the end, Mary still feels she would like to go back to court someday. Why do you think she still longs for that life?
Essay Topic 3
Mary has to betray Queen Katherine in the story, saying she feels she has no choice. Is this really the truth?
Part 1: What does Mary do that ends up betraying the Queen?
Part 2: What rationalization does Mary give for her actions?
Part 3: Do you agree she had no choice? Why or why not? What else could she have done if you felt she did have a choice?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)