|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary name her first child?
2. Who does Anne adopt, much to the dismay of Mary?
3. What has King Henry lost with Queen Katherine?
4. In what does Anne compete?
5. Who is Katherine's only child and legitimate child with Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people assume Mary is carrying a boy this time?
2. How does King Henry take control of the church?
3. What does King Henry do when he hears Mary is pregnant with his child?
4. How does Anne attempt to have control over her sister?
5. Why doesn't Henry share a bed with Mary over the Christmas holiday?
6. How has the Queen defied the King's order?
7. What happens to Henry Fitzroy since the King is so desperate for an heir?
8. Why has the Queen missed her "courses"?
9. Describe Mary Boleyn.
10. What does Mary confess to the Queen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary is the sister that is asked to do a lot for the family, and she rarely questions it.
Part 1: Why do you think Mary goes along with the plans of her family?
Part 2: What are some of the things Mary does that she disagrees with?
Part 3: Do you think Mary feels like a pawn in the court life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The sibling relationships in this story are different from what one today might consider appropriate.
Part 1: Describe the relationship between Mary and George.
Part 2: Describe the relationship between Anne and George.
Part 3: Describe the scenes in which George and Anne seemed to cross a line of decency in their relationship. Describe at least 2 situations.
Essay Topic 3
While Anne Boleyn seems to get more of the attention in history books, she is certainly something different than the title of this novel suggests.
Part 1: Do you think Anne or Mary was the more important Boleyn girl? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 2: If you have read about Anne Boleyn before, how has your opinion changed of her?
Part 3: After seeing the progression of events in the story, is Mary a lesser or a greater character in terms of her growth in the novel? Why?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)