|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what river can Ga smell?
2. Who lives next door to Sun Moon?
3. What script does Kim Jong Il send in Chapter 14 to Sun Moon?
4. Near what river is the peasant village where the city folk sleep in Chapter 19?
5. When did Kim Il Sung decree that an air-raid warning be installed in North Korea?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and when does Sun Moon realize that she will never see her husband again?
2. What is the case against the nurse from Panmunjom?
3. How did the Propaganda boys write the story of a lady missionary who snuck in from the south with a satchel of Bibles?
4. In Chapter 15, how is Wonsan described?
5. Where has Sun Moons seen the gun that Kim Jong Il gives Commander Ga?
6. What does Ga fix to eat at the cemetery?
7. Why do Sun Moon and Ga go the the Martyrs' Cemetery in Chapter 16?
8. What does Buc say about the chances of getting out of North Korea?
9. What answer does Commander Ga give when Sun Moon asks him why he was in prison?
10. In Chapter 17, why are the narrator's neighbors taken away early one morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Jun Do's job after he no longer worked with Officer So, and how did this job affect his character?
Essay Topic 2
If Sun Moon's new script is an allegory, what does it reveal about her life and if she will be able to change the end of her story?
Essay Topic 3
What does the depiction of the narrator reveal about the role of propaganda and coercion in North Korea?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)