|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Catholic Church declare its independence from secular authorities?
2. What is the second of three components of political development that together constitute modern politics?
3. When was the Duma reinstated after Peter the Great?
4. When did the Moorish bastion of Grenada fell?
5. What emerged as a a result of lineages need to place to bury their ancestors and appease the souls of the dead according to Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Russia not share with the Ottomans according to Chapter 26?
2. What has China repeatedly returned to according to Chapter 20?
3. What is political decay part of?
4. What does Fukuyama say about the English Parliament in Chapter 27?
5. What does Fukuyama distinguish between when discussing the "rule of law" in Chapter 17?
6. What two countries are examples of states that failed to develop accountability in Chapter 25?
7. What did the Church become in Europe?
8. What tips a state towards accountability according to Chapter 28?
9. Where are the political factors traced back to?
10. What was the Mandate of Heaven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three main institutions of modern democracy, and discuss how it benefits a government to have all three.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of kinship, and the types of kinship, as discussed in Chapter 3.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the five attributes that distinguish a state from a tribal organization, and use examples of each from the book.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)