|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem did the Chinese not solve?
2. What corresponds to what is now called positive law according to Chapter 17?
3. What countries were examples of weak absolutism and failed accountability, according to Chapter 25?
4. When was "The Wealth of Nations" written in relation to Marx?
5. What was the German state that emerged in Brandenburg-Prussia in the eighteenth century based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fukuyama define accountability in Chapter 22?
2. What did the Orthodox Christian Church not do?
3. What does Fukuyama distinguish between when discussing the "rule of law" in Chapter 17?
4. What happened between the Christian church and political authorities in Europe according to Chapter 18?
5. What has China repeatedly returned to according to Chapter 20?
6. What two countries are examples of states that failed to develop accountability in Chapter 25?
7. What is political decay part of?
8. What was the Mandate of Heaven?
9. Who had no strong concept of a rule of law according to Chapter 19?
10. What tips a state towards accountability according to Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the inverse relationship between the strength of a state and patrimonialism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the four differing results relating to accountability and examine the examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the probable contributors in the formation of a state and conclude whether Fukuyama's stance has merit.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)