|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do species found on islands do for the theory of natural selection?
2. What behaviors have been lost through the domestication of cats and dogs?
3. What is on the seeds of plants that helps them reproduce?
4. If the pistils of a flower are very long, what type of reproduction limitation may this result in?
5. Where might a species who are adapted to warm climates migrate to as the climate becomes colder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Darwin suggest about the fossil records of trilobites?
2. Why does Darwin use a fish and a reptile as comparisons?
3. What undermines the belief that the infertility of species, when crossed, is the result of Divine institution?
4. How do physical barriers correlate with differences in creatures that inhabit a region?
5. Why is adaptation necessary?
6. What does Darwin suggest about the milking behaviors of ants on some insects?
7. How does the age of the earth play into natural selection?
8. How does natural selection explain the behaviors of Formica rufescens?
9. What is one cause of a landmass changing the geological record?
10. What are some general rules governing whether or not two species can produce fertile offspring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darwin suggests that when the information in this book is combined, it supports his theory. Do you agree? Use examples and theories from the book to demonstrate how combining his theory and the opposition offers support for the theory itself.
Essay Topic 2
Darwin uses the scientific method. How does he study nature and species using this method, and what is the significance of this method?
Essay Topic 3
Darwin discusses the difference between natural and artificial, or domestic breeding. How does Darwin feel about both types of breeding in terms of natural selection? Do you think he would prefer one type of breeding over the other? Explain your answer.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)