|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the offspring when two of the same distinct species interbreed?
2. For natural selection to be true, what could be suggested about transitional forms?
3. What is the general quality of fossils gathered by paleontologists?
4. What can be said about organisms belonging to the same species?
5. Why do scientists believe fossils do not exist at the bottom of the ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the inheritance of traits be seen in domesticated dogs?
2. Why can't similarities in organ structure of different species be explained as being created individually?
3. What is a cause for infertility as discussed in Chapter 8: Hybridism?
4. How are fossils classified?
5. Why is adaptation necessary?
6. Describe the process of egg-laying of the European cuckoo.
7. How does natural selection explain the lack of links between generations?
8. What are some general rules governing whether or not two species can produce fertile offspring?
9. How does natural selection explain the behaviors of Formica rufescens?
10. How does less competition affect natural selection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darwin uses the scientific method. How does he study nature and species using this method, and what is the significance of this method?
Essay Topic 2
Darwin discusses the struggle for existence in terms of pray and predators. How does this theory play into species with no predators? Are there truly any species with no predators? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Thomas Malthus' principle of population growth and how it related to Darwin's theory of natural selection.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)