|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do commonalities of species found on islands say about species in general?
2. Why are the same species of freshwater fish typically NOT found in different countries?
3. What do species found on islands do for the theory of natural selection?
4. What was the basis of classification in ancient times?
5. What do naturalists understand will never happen to most organisms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do physical barriers correlate with differences in creatures that inhabit a region?
2. What does Darwin suggest about the milking behaviors of ants on some insects?
3. How does less competition affect natural selection?
4. What undermines the belief that the infertility of species, when crossed, is the result of Divine institution?
5. How does Darwin explain how the same genus of species are found in different geographical regions?
6. What is one cause of a landmass changing the geological record?
7. Why does Darwin use a fish and a reptile as comparisons?
8. What are some general rules governing whether or not two species can produce fertile offspring?
9. Why can't climate account for differences in organisms from one region to the next?
10. How can naturalists determine if land masses were once connected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darwin discusses the difference between natural and artificial, or domestic breeding. How does Darwin feel about both types of breeding in terms of natural selection? Do you think he would prefer one type of breeding over the other? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Darwin understands that his research methods are inadequate for the extent of his theory. Why do you think he admits this flaw, and how does Darwin propose to overcome flaws in his research?
Essay Topic 3
Variations are, according to Darwin, naturally selected for because of their use to the species. How are variations passed on from one generation to the next? What types of trait variations have occurred that have improved survival of a species?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)