|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In ancient times, why were whales classified as fish?
(a) They lived in the same environment.
(b) They had gills.
(c) They swam.
(d) They needed oxygen.
2. Why is instinct NOT well-defined?
(a) No one can agree on a definition for instinct.
(b) It covers too many behaviors.
(c) It is elusive.
(d) They change rapidly.
3. Why does migration inhibit the development of a fossil record?
(a) Predators ruin the fossils.
(b) They become buried deeper in the earth.
(c) Because they take time to develop.
(d) They do not inhibit the record.
4. What is one river that Darwin gives as an example of one that has dramatically changed over the years?
5. How do biologists classify organisms?
(a) Groups of locations.
(b) Groups of functions.
(c) Groups of internal features.
(d) Groups of resemblance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin suggest about acquired traits in parents?
2. What do scientists find throughout the fossil record?
3. What type of species do many islands lack?
4. How do organisms differ within classifications?
5. What does the fossil record show about natural selection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a cause for infertility as discussed in Chapter 8: Hybridism?
2. Why do scientists have difficulty determining the effects of two distinct species breeding?
3. What are three facts that can be explained by natural selection as discussed in Chapter 11?
4. What does Darwin suggest about the milking behaviors of ants on some insects?
5. How can naturalists determine if land masses were once connected?
6. How does Darwin explain how the same genus of species are found in different geographical regions?
7. How does natural selection explain the lack of links between generations?
8. What is one cause of a landmass changing the geological record?
9. How do physical barriers correlate with differences in creatures that inhabit a region?
10. What is the key explanation for species living in different regions?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)