|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do hybrids tend to display little variation?
(a) Because of genetic defects.
(b) There is no natural selection with hybrids.
(c) The parents are the same.
(d) The parents are very close in characteristics.
2. What is the major limiting factor to migration?
(b) Land mass.
3. When are fossils typically preserved?
(a) During storms.
(b) During earthquakes.
(c) In the winter.
(d) Between periods of geological change.
4. What can instinct be compared with?
(b) Life force.
5. What animal that is alive today could be considered an intermediate species of a mammal and the mastodon?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the same species live in regions separated by large bodies of water, what is the rationale for their existence?
2. What does the fossil record show about new species?
3. What does the bone structure of the human hand resemble?
4. What is one river that Darwin gives as an example of one that has dramatically changed over the years?
5. Organisms in which regions experience less competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does less competition affect natural selection?
2. What is a possible explanation for why species migrated from one region to the next?
3. How can the inheritance of traits be seen in domesticated dogs?
4. How are fossils classified?
5. How does Darwin explain how the same genus of species are found in different geographical regions?
6. Why do rudimentary organs pose a problem for theorists that species were created independently?
7. Why can't climate account for differences in organisms from one region to the next?
8. How does natural selection explain relationships among creatures?
9. What is one cause of a landmass changing the geological record?
10. How can the phenomenon of ancient species resembling current living groups be explained?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)