|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1: Variation Under Domestication, what animal does Darwin give as an example for being perfectly adapted for catching its food?
2. What bodily system do some scientists believe is responsible for producing individual differences?
3. What type of populations may be more likely to become extinct?
(a) Large populations.
(b) Small populations.
(c) Medium populations.
(d) Diverse populations.
4. Who believed that humans would fall into starvation because they could not meet the needs of the population?
5. Which species require more years for change?
(a) Slow breeders.
(c) Sterile species.
(d) Fast breeders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do species survive to do?
2. What species type is known for a lot of variation between individuals?
3. What happens to a species if their traits and characteristics are not passed down to the next generation?
4. What classification has a large number of species?
5. What does natural selection say about the most distinct characteristic of a species?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darwin feel the distinction between species variations is arbitrary?
2. Why would natural selection be considered counter-intuitive?
3. What is the ultimate result of the constant struggle to live?
4. How does the growth of a population work?
5. How does natural selection explain why organisms pair with other organisms?
6. How do Naturalists define a species and a variety?
7. What was Darwin's specific interest in the living species?
8. Why is natural selection much broader than domestic selection by humans?
9. How can the geology of mountains and valleys be related to natural selection?
10. Why does Darwin suggest his methods of study are inadequate?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)