|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do species found on islands do for the theory of natural selection?
(a) Support it.
(b) Refute it.
(c) Increase its complexity.
(d) Increase classifications.
2. When the same species live in regions separated by large bodies of water, what is the rationale for their existence?
(a) Human transport.
(b) The regions were connected at one point.
(c) There is no rationale.
(d) The species swam at one point.
3. When are fossils typically preserved?
(a) During storms.
(b) During earthquakes.
(c) In the winter.
(d) Between periods of geological change.
4. What is one unique characteristic of the European cuckoo?
(a) Cares for other birds' eggs.
(b) Lays eggs in other birds' nests.
(c) Buries eggs.
(d) Eats eggs.
5. What separates marine life near the equator and South America that causes vast differences in species?
(b) Small strip of Panama.
(c) Atlantic Ocean.
(d) Fresh water rivers.
6. What happens to the offspring when two of the same distinct species interbreed?
(a) Migrate after birth.
(b) Eaten by parents.
7. What period in time can explain many migrations due to climate change?
(a) Technological Age.
(b) Ice Age.
(c) Thermal Age.
(d) Industrial Age.
8. What species of bees builds inefficient hives?
(c) Yellow jackets.
9. What animal that is alive today could be considered an intermediate species of a mammal and the mastodon?
10. What behaviors have been lost through the domestication of cats and dogs?
(a) Eating chickens.
11. What do many organisms of oceanic islands resemble?
(a) Sea creatures.
(c) Species of the closest land mass.
(d) Each other.
12. At what point is it necessary for animals to display traits that distinguish them from other organisms?
(a) During childhood.
(b) When they must fend for themselves.
(c) During offspring-bearing age.
(d) As an embryo.
13. What type of species do many islands lack?
14. What geological process destroys fossils?
15. If natural selection is accepted, what is rejected?
(a) Variations must be subjective.
(b) All differences must be different species.
(c) There is only artificial selection.
(d) Species were created independently.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do naturalists understand will never happen to most organisms?
2. Which of the following refers to offspring with parents from two different species?
3. Which of the following refers to organs that serve no purpose?
4. Why do scientists believe fossils do not exist at the bottom of the ocean?
5. What does the fossil record show about new species?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)