|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can instinct be compared with?
(c) Life force.
2. What do scientists find throughout the fossil record?
(c) Flaws in nature.
(d) New species.
3. What does Darwin suggest that natural selection cannot do independently?
(a) Cause extinction.
(b) Eliminate dysfunctional traits.
(c) Produce the same species twice.
(d) Create new species.
4. What does Darwin suggest about variations of species in terms of examining the fossil records?
(a) Evolution goes in stages.
(b) Variation is not consistent.
(c) All species evolve.
(d) Variation is consistent.
5. Which of the following refers to organs that serve no purpose?
(a) Homologous organs.
(b) Dead organs.
(c) Rudimentary organs.
(d) Extra organs.
6. If the pistils of a flower are very long, what type of reproduction limitation may this result in?
7. What are variations typically related to in complex species?
(b) Numbers in the species.
(d) Age of the species.
8. In what type of species has perfect fertility of variations been demonstrated?
9. What type of species do many islands lack?
10. What does the lack of some species on oceanic islands suggest about the theory that all land mass was once connected?
(a) It is a recent occurrence.
(b) It is true.
(c) It was very long ago.
(d) It is false.
11. How do breeders know if the traits they breed into cows are useful?
(a) They appear at birth.
(b) They appear prior to birth.
(c) They appear in adulthood.
(d) They appear in late childhood.
12. What is on the seeds of plants that helps them reproduce?
13. How is the American cuckoo different from the European cuckoo?
(a) The American cuckoo raises its own offspring.
(b) The American cuckoo eats offspring.
(c) The American cuckoo buries offspring.
(d) The American cuckoo raises others' offspring.
14. What do naturalists say about the situation of hybrids resembling their parents?
(a) Artificial selection explains this.
(b) There is no explanation.
(c) Natural selection cannot explain this resemblance.
(d) Natural selection can explain this resemblance.
15. In Chapter 8, according to Darwin's example, what domesticated variety is NOT able to reproduce?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bone structure of the human hand resemble?
2. Where might a species who are adapted to warm climates migrate to as the climate becomes colder?
3. What seems unlikely, but must be possible concerning the migration of fish?
4. What animal that is alive today could be considered an intermediate species of a mammal and the mastodon?
5. What happens to the offspring when two of the same distinct species interbreed?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)