|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lack of some species on oceanic islands suggest about the theory that all land mass was once connected?
(a) It is true.
(b) It is a recent occurrence.
(c) It is false.
(d) It was very long ago.
2. Which of the following refers to organs that serve no purpose?
(a) Extra organs.
(b) Dead organs.
(c) Homologous organs.
(d) Rudimentary organs.
3. What seems unlikely, but must be possible concerning the migration of fish?
(a) Accidental dispersal.
(b) Upstream migration.
(c) Southbound migration.
(d) Fresh to saltwater migration.
4. Which of the following refers to ways by which an organism could spread to a new area that would NOT typically occur naturally?
(a) Human transport.
(b) Species changes.
(c) Accidental means of dispersal.
(d) Artificial migration.
5. What type of species do many islands lack?
6. What is one variation found in birds that migrate?
(a) Duration of migration.
(b) Timing of migration.
(c) Distance of migration.
(d) Location of migration.
7. What does Darwin state is a main difference between first generation mongrels and first generation hybrids?
(a) First generation mongrels are larger.
(b) First generation mongrels show more variation.
(c) First generation mongrels show no variation.
(d) First generation mongrels show less variation.
8. What can be said about organisms belonging to the same species?
(a) They originated from the same location.
(b) They have similar habits.
(c) They will change at the same rate.
(d) They will produce the same type of variations.
9. How do some scientists demonstrate the differences between species and variations?
(a) Natural breeding.
(b) Fossil records.
(c) Scientific method.
(d) Through hybrids.
10. What does Darwin suggest about variations of species in terms of examining the fossil records?
(a) Evolution goes in stages.
(b) Variation is not consistent.
(c) Variation is consistent.
(d) All species evolve.
11. What does the fossil record suggest about species that go extinct?
(a) They reappear as a variation.
(b) They pass on their traits.
(c) They do not reappear.
(d) They go extinct quickly.
12. What is one unique characteristic of the European cuckoo?
(a) Cares for other birds' eggs.
(b) Lays eggs in other birds' nests.
(c) Buries eggs.
(d) Eats eggs.
13. What does Darwin suggest that natural selection cannot do independently?
(a) Produce the same species twice.
(b) Eliminate dysfunctional traits.
(c) Create new species.
(d) Cause extinction.
14. What type of species are most likely to inter-breed?
(a) Polymorphic organisms.
(b) Domesticated organisms.
(d) Wild species.
15. What behaviors have been lost through the domestication of cats and dogs?
(b) Eating chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is instinct NOT well-defined?
2. What is one consequence of natural selection?
3. What may occur if one organism changes dramatically over time?
4. What do many organisms of oceanic islands resemble?
5. What type of organisms will not fossilize?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)