|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In extreme environments, what are species in competition with?
(b) Other species.
(c) Food source distruction.
(d) Migration needs.
2. In Chapter 4: Natural Selection, what does Darwin suggest about most variations?
(a) They are not helpful for survival.
(b) They lead to species regeneration.
(c) They are caused by domestication.
(d) They are helpful for survival.
3. In Chapter 1: Variation Under Domestication, what animal does Darwin give as an example for being perfectly adapted for catching its food?
4. Who believed that humans would fall into starvation because they could not meet the needs of the population?
5. What is the primary cause for the struggle for survival between species?
(a) Food sources.
(c) Rapid reproduction.
(d) Environmental factors.
6. Where does Darwin suggest transitional forms should be found?
(a) Regions near mountains.
(b) Regions near water.
(c) In fossil records.
(d) In all regions.
7. What is one reason that some species' traits are different from other species?
(b) Natural selection.
8. What animal does Darwin use as an example of an intermediate form of a full-land and full-flying animal?
(a) Flying squirrel.
(b) Spider monkey.
9. What bodily system do some scientists believe is responsible for producing individual differences?
10. Where did Darwin's ship travel?
(c) North America.
(d) South America.
11. Which of the following tends to live over larger areas?
12. What type of populations may be more likely to become extinct?
(a) Medium populations.
(b) Small populations.
(c) Large populations.
(d) Diverse populations.
13. What is required for a species to continue to grow?
(a) Strong males.
(b) Food supply.
(c) Other species.
14. How might one explain the correlation of growth?
(a) A natural mistake.
(b) Complication in selection.
(c) Natural selection changes the whole, not just a part.
(d) Natural selection's way to economize.
15. Which species require more years for change?
(a) Sterile species.
(c) Fast breeders.
(d) Slow breeders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of organisms is not caused by chance?
2. What results as a climate becomes more hostile?
3. Which of the following is a radical change in the structure or behavior of an organism?
4. What other field of science can natural selection be compared to?
5. What may hinder positive traits from being passed on during natural selection?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)