Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
2. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
4. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
5. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of dramatic irony within "The Oresteia". What characters seem to be the victims of this? Why can these characters never truly fulfill their goals? City specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options to write about. Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
1) Electra as a passive character.
2) The herald's statements about the price of victory in war.
3) The curse on the house of Atreus.
Essay Topic 3
When the Greek tragedies were first written, the stories and characters were well known to the audiences, which is why "The Oresteia" has a fairly complicated web of plot lines, history, and characters. Luckily, for modern audiences who may not be as familiar with these stories, though, characters, especially the chorus, offer insight and back stories in what is about to take place. Discuss the use of exposition in "The Oresteia". Does it add to or subtract from the content of the play? Is it strictly necessary to be familiar already with these stories? Why? Cite specific examples from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)