|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
2. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
4. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
5. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
1) The description of Clytemnestra being "god abandoned."
2) Clytemnestra's relationship with Aegisthus.
3) The use of the Trojan women as the chorus in the second play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of dramatic irony within "The Oresteia". What characters seem to be the victims of this? Why can these characters never truly fulfill their goals? City specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Oresteia", what is the relationship between the gods and men? Consider how Apollo and Athena interact with the mortals versus the way the Furies act. How do the humans pray to the gods? How do the gods feel about the humans and vice versa? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)