|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
2. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
3. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
4. What does Clytemnestra call out for when she hears the noise from inside the palace in the third part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. What is the result of the judges' vote after the trial?
Essay Topic 1
Is "The Oresteia" inherently misogynistic? Create a strong thesis (it is suggested that this thesis be centered on the characters for the sake of clarity) arguing that "The Oresteia" is or is not misogynistic. Points to consider are the treatment of Clytemnestra by the chorus, the role of Aegisthus, and Apollo's views on parents in the third play.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of the chorus in "The Oresteia".
Part 1) Analyze their roles as observers in all three plays.
Part 2) How does the chorus become active participants and characters at certain points?
Part 3) How is the chorus able to act as a guide for the audience and readers?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the reactions of Clytemnestra and Cilissa when they receive false news of Orestes' "death." Consider, then, the words of Apollo in the third play about the roles of the mother and the father in a child's life. What is the play saying about the nature of maternal love? Create a strong thesis and use specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)