Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
2. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
4. Why is it important that Athena know about Orestes' familial relations?
5. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the god Apollo. On one hand, he is Orestes' savior, offering his support and guidance of the young man at every turn. On the other hand, Apollo has ruined Cassandra's life, cursing her and allowing Troy to be defeated. Explore the conflicting roles of Apollo and how he has affected the events of "The Oresteia". Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Oresteia", what is the relationship between the gods and men? Consider how Apollo and Athena interact with the mortals versus the way the Furies act. How do the humans pray to the gods? How do the gods feel about the humans and vice versa? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following options to write about. Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
1) Electra as a passive character.
2) The herald's statements about the price of victory in war.
3) The curse on the house of Atreus.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)