|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cassandra enters the castle and their monologue is interrupted, what dispute rises amongst the chorus?
2. What does Clytemnestra try to get Cassandra to do in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
3. What does part of the chorus suggest to Clytemnestra about her actions when they confront her?
4. Why is the herald so joyful?
5. According to the chorus in the second part of the first play, what will always prevail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
2. What are the disputes amongst the chorus when they hear Agamemnon screaming from inside the palace?
3. Why does the chorus call out for Orestes to return home at the end of the first play?
4. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
5. In the beginning of "The Eumenides", what is the oracle's vision and what does it mean?
6. What is significant about Agamemnon walking into his palace barefoot?
7. Why does Aegisthus threaten the chorus?
8. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
9. What visions does Cassandra see when she looks at the palace?
10. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Oresteia", what is the relationship between the gods and men? Consider how Apollo and Athena interact with the mortals versus the way the Furies act. How do the humans pray to the gods? How do the gods feel about the humans and vice versa? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the god Apollo. On one hand, he is Orestes' savior, offering his support and guidance of the young man at every turn. On the other hand, Apollo has ruined Cassandra's life, cursing her and allowing Troy to be defeated. Explore the conflicting roles of Apollo and how he has affected the events of "The Oresteia". Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following options to write about. Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
1) Electra as a passive character.
2) The herald's statements about the price of victory in war.
3) The curse on the house of Atreus.
This section contains 2,002 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)