|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the chorus compare life at the end of the third part of the first play?
2. To Aegisthus's consternation, of what does the chorus remind him?
3. In the first part of the first play, what signal is the man on the roof looking for?
4. What is concerning the chorus at the end of Play 1, Part 1?
5. How does Clytemnestra defend her actions against Agamemnon to the chorus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the herald's thoughts on the effects of the war?
2. How does Clytemnestra describe her life to her husband during Agamemnon's absence?
3. For what is the herald giving thanks during his entrance?
4. Why does the chorus call out for Orestes to return home at the end of the first play?
5. What is the Watchman's duty at the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
6. What news does Clytemnestra bring the chorus in the beginning of "The Agamemnon"?
7. What is Electra supposed to do at her father's tomb?
8. What are the chorus's opinions on Paris and his actions in the second part of "The Agamemnon"?
9. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
10. What happened to Menelaus, according to the herald?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
1) The description of Clytemnestra being "god abandoned."
2) Clytemnestra's relationship with Aegisthus.
3) The use of the Trojan women as the chorus in the second play.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Oresteia", the women are the ones who are depicted as seeking revenge. With this in mind, what is the play attempting to say about women? Create a strong thesis. Points to consider include:
1) Clytemnestra's revenge for her daughter's death.
2) Cassandra's visions and her prayers that her death will be avenged.
3) The Furies as bloodthirsty, vengeful goddesses.
4) Orestes' quest of revenge.
5) The roles of Athena and Apollo in Orestes' plight.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Agamemnon and Clytemnestra's conflict about how he is welcomed home from war.
2) The role of the Furies in this tragedy.
3) Athena's decision that a council of mortals needs to decide Orestes' fate.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)