|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Apollo expect in return for the gift he granted to Cassandra?
2. According to Aegisthus, what actually brought about Agamemnon's death?
3. How does Electra know the offering on the tomb came from Orestes?
4. What does the herald ask of the gods?
5. For whom is the chorus crying out to return after the death of Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is the herald giving thanks during his entrance?
2. What evidence does Electra find that convinces her Orestes has returned to Mycenae?
3. What message does Clytemnestra send with the herald to Agamemnon?
4. Why does Clytemnestra lose patience with Cassandra in the fourth part of "The Agamemnon"?
5. What are Agamemnon's feelings about Troy?
6. What is Clytemnestra's vision for the future after the death of Agamemnon?
7. What is Cassandra's curse and why was it placed on her?
8. Why does Cassandra finally walk into the palace?
9. What feelings does the Watchman have while on the roof in the beginning of the play?
10. How does Cassandra describe Apollo and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the god Apollo. On one hand, he is Orestes' savior, offering his support and guidance of the young man at every turn. On the other hand, Apollo has ruined Cassandra's life, cursing her and allowing Troy to be defeated. Explore the conflicting roles of Apollo and how he has affected the events of "The Oresteia". Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "The Oresteia". What different forms are used to convey the foreshadowing? How does the heightened language of the play help? How do the chorus and Cassandra's prophecy foreshadow the coming events? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following options to write about. Cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
1) Electra as a passive character.
2) The herald's statements about the price of victory in war.
3) The curse on the house of Atreus.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)