|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
(a) A goat.
(b) A snake.
(c) A gorgon.
(d) A lion.
2. From where has Athena flown when she makes her entrance?
3. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
(b) He does not know why she cares.
(c) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
(d) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
4. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
5. What does Pylades advise Orestes to do?
(a) Electra will be cursed if Orestes does not follow through with his revenge.
(b) Orestes will be looked upon as weak if he does not kill Clytemnestra.
(c) Orestes will be murdered by Clytemnestra if he does not kill her first.
(d) The oracle said Orestes must kill his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Orestes pray when he arrives at the destination Apollo sent him to?
2. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
3. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
4. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
5. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
2. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
3. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
4. How does Orestes defend himself in his trial?
5. Why does Orestes decide to go back to the oracle?
6. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
7. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
8. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
9. What are the Furies and why are they tormenting Orestes at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
10. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)