|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
(a) He senses the presence of the Furies.
(b) He wants to help Orestes.
(c) He appears at his altar daily.
(d) He is called down by the oracle.
2. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
3. What does Orestes wonder about Aegisthus after he has murdered his mother?
(a) He wonders if Aegisthus was repenting his sins in the last moments of his life.
(b) He wonders if Aegisthus is receiving an adulterer's punishment.
(c) He wonders if Aegisthus was truly guilty.
(d) He wonders if Aegisthus suffered during his death.
4. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
(b) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(c) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
(d) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
5. What will be the first action taken when Orestes and Pylades infiltrate the palace?
(a) Aegisthus will be killed.
(b) Clytemnestra will be killed.
(c) Electra will be guided to safety.
(d) Cilissa will be alerted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
2. What does Aegisthus claim after his entrance in "The Libation Bearers"?
3. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
4. What does Athena proclaim before the judges announce their vote at the end of "The Eumenides"?
5. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
2. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
3. What are the Furies and why are they tormenting Orestes at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
4. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. In the beginning of "The Eumenides", what is the oracle's vision and what does it mean?
6. According to their words in the second part of the third play, what do the Furies believe about their rights?
7. After receiving false news in the third part of the second play, what is Clytemnestra's reaction to news of Orestes' supposed death?
8. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
9. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
10. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)