|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
(a) His love for her.
(b) Electra's inability to mourn for her father.
(c) The gods' will.
(d) Her sins.
2. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(c) The leader of the chorus.
3. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
(c) The blessings of the gods.
(d) The sins of the the mother.
4. What do the Furies celebrate in poem and dance in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) Their immortality, power, and divine right.
(b) The vengeance of all women.
(c) The freedom of Clytemnestra's soul.
(d) The imminent death of Orestes.
5. Where was Orestes when he was told to avenge his father?
(d) The oracle at Delphi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is coming true for Clytemnestra in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
2. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
3. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
4. For what does the chorus pray in the third part of the second play?
5. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
2. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
3. How does Orestes defend himself in his trial?
4. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
5. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
6. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
7. Who is revealed to be encouraging the Furies to hunt Orestes and why?
8. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
9. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
10. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)