|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He bears letters from her.
(b) He looks like their father.
(c) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
(d) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
2. What has Electra been forced to do in the years since her father's death?
(a) Treat Aegisthus as her father.
(b) Disown her brother.
(c) Mourn him in secret.
(d) Disown her father.
3. What do the Furies complain about when Athena leaves in the second part of the third play?
(a) The Ancients.
(c) The younger gods.
(d) The older gods.
4. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
(b) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
(c) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(d) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
5. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
(a) Inside the temple to Zeus.
(b) Inside the palace.
(c) In front of the palace.
(d) At Agamemnon's tomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
2. About whom was the oracle's vision?
3. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
4. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
5. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
2. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
3. After receiving false news in the third part of the second play, what is Clytemnestra's reaction to news of Orestes' supposed death?
4. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
5. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
6. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
7. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
8. How does Orestes defend himself in his trial?
9. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
10. Why does Orestes decide to go back to the oracle?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)