|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should Apollo's claim about the nature of parenthood appeal to Athena?
(a) Athena has no father and was born from Hera's head.
(b) Athena was abandoned by her mother.
(c) Athena was abandoned by her father.
(d) Athena has no mother and was born from Zeus's head.
2. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
(a) It prophesizes his revenge against his mother.
(b) It prophesizes his failure in his revenge.
(c) It prophesizes the death of Electra
(d) It prophesizes the murder of Clytemnestra by Aegisthus.
3. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
(a) Electra is dead.
(b) Orestes is dead.
(c) Electra has run away.
(d) Orestes is returning.
4. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
(a) They ask for safe passage to the castle.
(b) They ask for strength and guidance.
(c) They ask for release.
(d) They ask for forgiveness.
5. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(b) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(c) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
(d) He is there to testify against Orestes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
2. What does Orestes firmly reinforce while protesting his innocence to the council?
3. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
4. What does Athena decide about the case presented to her by Orestes and the Furies?
5. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
2. How does the chorus know that Aegisthus is being murdered?
3. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
4. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
5. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
6. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
7. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
8. Why does Orestes decide to go back to the oracle?
9. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
10. Who is revealed to be encouraging the Furies to hunt Orestes and why?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)