|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(a) The leader of the chorus.
2. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(b) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
(c) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
(d) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
3. What does Apollo claim about mothers and fathers in the last part of "The Eumenides"?
(a) The mother is much more important than the father.
(b) The father is much more important than the mother.
(c) The mother and father are always equal, except in the case of Clytemnestra.
(d) The mother and father are equal.
4. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
(a) He tells her he is Electra's brother.
(b) He tells her he is Clytemnestra's son.
(c) He tells her he is Atreus's grandson.
(d) He tells her he is Agamemnon's son.
5. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
(a) A gorgon.
(b) A lion.
(c) A snake.
(d) A goat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Athena appoint to pass judgment on the case between Orestes and the Furies?
2. What do the Furies claim about Orestes to Athena?
3. What false news does the disguised Orestes give Clytemnestra?
4. What does Athena decide about the case presented to her by Orestes and the Furies?
5. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
2. After he is freed at the end of "The Oresteia", what does Orestes claim to want for the future?
3. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
4. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
5. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
6. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
7. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
8. After receiving false news in the third part of the second play, what is Clytemnestra's reaction to news of Orestes' supposed death?
9. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
10. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)