|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the last part of "The Eumenides", why does Apollo appear in the court?
(a) He is there to keep the Furies under control.
(b) He is there to testify in Orestes' favor.
(c) He is there to testify against Orestes.
(d) He is there to protect Orestes during the trial.
2. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
(a) She regrets her treatment of Electra.
(b) Orestes is the only hope of breaking the family curse.
(c) She regrets banishing him..
(d) Orestes was the only child she loved.
3. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
(a) They wonder if Electra will follow her brother.
(b) They wonder if Orestes was truly ordered by the gods to avenge Agamemnon.
(c) They wonder who will take the throne in Mycenae.
(d) They wonder if the family will ever break their curse.
4. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(b) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(c) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(d) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
5. Whose ghost is urging the Eumenides to chase Orestes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
2. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
3. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
4. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
5. What must Aegisthus bring with him to the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
2. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
3. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
4. Why is it important that Orestes tell Athena who his father was when the goddess comes to him?
5. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
6. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
7. Why does Orestes decide to go back to the oracle?
8. What are the Furies and why are they tormenting Orestes at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
9. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
10. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)