|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
(b) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(c) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(d) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
2. How does Orestes convince Electra that he is her brother when they find each other at Agamemnon's tomb?
(a) He has the marks from their mother's abuse on him.
(b) He bears letters from her.
(c) He looks like their father.
(d) He is wearing the robe she made for him.
3. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Electra's body.
(b) Cilissa's body.
(c) His father's armor.
(d) Aegisthus's body.
4. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
(a) He was passing on Zeus's judgment about justice.
(b) He cursed Clytemnestra and was passing on judgment.
(c) He was not acting upon any other's will but his own.
(d) He favored Agamemnon and was avenging his death.
5. How does Clytemnestra plead for her life to Orestes?
(a) She tells him Iphigenia pleaded for her life before being sacrificed.
(b) She reminds him that Electra will be motherless.
(c) She reminds Orestes that she is his mother.
(d) She tells Orestes she was ordered by Zeus to kill Agamemnon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
2. Why should Apollo's claim about the nature of parenthood appeal to Athena?
3. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
4. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
5. For whom do the disguised Orestes and Pylades cry out while outside the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orestes defend himself in his trial?
2. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
3. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
4. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
5. In the beginning of "The Eumenides", what is the oracle's vision and what does it mean?
6. After receiving false news in the third part of the second play, what is Clytemnestra's reaction to news of Orestes' supposed death?
7. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
8. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
9. Who is revealed to be encouraging the Furies to hunt Orestes and why?
10. According to their words in the second part of the third play, what do the Furies believe about their rights?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)