|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main conflict between Athena and the Furies?
(a) They argue about whether the old gods or young gods are more relevant.
(b) The Furies believe Athena is unfavorably judging them.
(c) The Furies wish for Athena to join them.
(d) The Furies want to overthrow Zeus, but Athena will not allow them.
2. To whom does the oracle pray after her vision in the beginning of The Eumenides?
3. What does Apollo tell the court about his decree to Orestes?
(a) He was not acting upon any other's will but his own.
(b) He was passing on Zeus's judgment about justice.
(c) He cursed Clytemnestra and was passing on judgment.
(d) He favored Agamemnon and was avenging his death.
4. Whom must Cilissa go fetch?
(c) The leader of the chorus.
5. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) His father's armor.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) Cilissa's body.
(d) Aegisthus's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orestes realize about his mother's dream?
2. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
3. What question does Orestes ask Pylades while confronted by his mother?
4. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
5. What would happen to Orestes if he did not take revenge upon his mother, according the oracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
2. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
3. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
4. In the beginning of "The Eumenides", what is the oracle's vision and what does it mean?
5. According to their words in the second part of the third play, what do the Furies believe about their rights?
6. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
7. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
8. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
9. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
10. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)