|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
(a) He will restore the glory of their name.
(b) He will build a grand altar for Zeus.
(c) He will live anonymously and wisely.
(d) He will worship the gods as humbly as he can.
2. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
(b) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(c) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(d) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
3. What do the Furies tell Apollo about their hunt for Orestes?
(a) It is their right to punish those who murder their mothers.
(b) It is their right to hunt someone who has left his sister an orphan.
(c) It is their right to hunt whom they please.
(d) It is their right to avenge the death of Iphigenia upon anyone connected.
4. When the Furies do not awaken, what does the ghost urge them to dream about?
(a) Hunting wild animals.
(b) Running in the fields.
(c) Destroying Orestes.
(d) Avenging their souls on their murderers.
5. What confuses Orestes about Clytemnestra's orders for the tomb?
(a) He does not know why libations must be poured over it.
(b) He does not know why she does not perform the ritual herself.
(c) He does not know why she is desecrating the tomb.
(d) He does not know why she cares.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
2. What does Orestes claim has taken away the sin of his mother's murder away?
3. What do Orestes and Electra ask of their father's spirit?
4. How does Orestes introduce himself to Athena?
5. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
2. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
3. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
4. What does Orestes find ironic about the deaths of Aegisthus and Clytemnestra?
5. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
6. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
7. Why does Orestes decide to go back to the oracle?
8. How does the chorus know that Aegisthus is being murdered?
9. What does Orestes mean when he cries out to Zeus in the second part of "The Libation Bearers"?
10. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)