|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is heard from inside the palace after Aegisthus enters it?
(a) Pylades is screaming as Aegisthus murders him.
(b) Aegisthus screaming as he is being murdered.
(c) Orestes screaming as he is murdered by Aegisthus.
(d) Electra screaming as Aegisthus murders her.
2. Why should Apollo's claim about the nature of parenthood appeal to Athena?
(a) Athena was abandoned by her mother.
(b) Athena has no father and was born from Hera's head.
(c) Athena has no mother and was born from Zeus's head.
(d) Athena was abandoned by her father.
3. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(b) The goat ran away.
(c) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(d) The lion mauled her.
4. Why does Clytemnestra grieve after the false news of her son's death?
(a) Orestes was the only child she loved.
(b) She regrets her treatment of Electra.
(c) She regrets banishing him..
(d) Orestes is the only hope of breaking the family curse.
5. What do the Furies demand to know in court from Orestes?
(a) They demand he explain what he did and why.
(b) They demand to know why he was exiled for so many years.
(c) They demand to know how he keeps getting favored by the gods.
(d) They demand to know whether he loved his mother or not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
2. Where does the action of the third part of "The Libation Bearers" take place?
3. Where does the second part of "The Eumenides" take place?
4. Why does Apollo appear at his altar?
5. What is the question on the chorus's mind after Orestes flees the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of "The Eumenides", what is the oracle's vision and what does it mean?
2. Who is revealed to be encouraging the Furies to hunt Orestes and why?
3. What is the conflict between the Furies and Apollo?
4. What does Athena decide to do about judging the case between Orestes and the Furies?
5. How does Clytemnestra attempt to defend herself against Orestes in the last part of "The Libation Bearers"?
6. Why do the Furies claim Orestes' journey to Athens has been useless when they catch up with him in the second part of "The Eumenides"?
7. Why is Clytemnestra's dream significant to Orestes?
8. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
9. According to their words in the second part of the third play, what do the Furies believe about their rights?
10. How does the chorus know that Aegisthus is being murdered?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)