|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chorus, to what did Clytemnestra give birth in her dream?
(a) A lion.
(b) A snake.
(c) A gorgon.
(d) A goat.
2. What do the Furies turn into at Athena's behest at the very end of The Oresteia?
(a) They become messengers alongside Hermes.
(b) They become agents of Athena's warriors.
(c) They allow themselves to dissolve into nothingness.
(d) They become agents aiming for the betterment of the world.
3. What do the Furies complain about when they awaken in the beginning of "The Eumenides"?
(b) The elder gods.
(c) The younger gods.
(d) The Ancients.
4. What happened to Clytemnestra in her dream when she tried to nurse what she'd been birthed?
(a) The snake bit her and drew blood.
(b) The gorgon turned her to stone.
(c) The goat ran away.
(d) The lion mauled her.
5. What is revealed with Orestes in the fourth part of "The Libation Bearers"?
(a) Aegisthus's body.
(b) Electra's body.
(c) His father's armor.
(d) Cilissa's body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chorus instruct Cilissa to do instead of following Clytemnestra's orders?
2. Where does the beginning of "The Eumenides" take place?
3. What must Aegisthus bring with him to the palace?
4. What does Orestes promise Zeus if he succeeds in his revenge?
5. What does Orestes remind his mother of when she pleads for her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what he tells Electra and the chorus, why is Orestes seeking vengeance for his father's death?
2. What does Apollo say about the rights of parents during Orestes' trial?
3. Why does Apollo appear to Orestes while at Delphi?
4. How does the chorus influence Cilissa when she enters?
5. What are the Furies and why are they tormenting Orestes at the end of "The Libation Bearers"?
6. What ends up being the fate of the Furies at the end of the play?
7. What was Clytemnestra's dream?
8. Who is revealed to be encouraging the Furies to hunt Orestes and why?
9. How do Orestes and Pylades get inside the palace?
10. How does the chorus know that Aegisthus is being murdered?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)